Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lilliput auto-on mod (Coyote's mod) gone wrong!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilliput auto-on mod (Coyote's mod) gone wrong!

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I did Coyote's auto-on mod ( http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24047 ) and it worked fine. But the solder joint where the 10k resister was replaced came off and it pulled the soldering contact off with it!!! I cant solder anything onto that point anymore.
    Is there any way of finding another point to solder to? please say there is! im freaking out here!

To clarify. The point that came off isnt where the resister is connected to 5v nor is it ground. It is the point where the 10k resister was taken off.

Thanks in advance.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
    DOS 6.22 - MPXF - 2x16 LCD - 6.4GB
    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - Tank batt relay - 100GB
    Car PC v3 - 2008
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - 802.11g - FM/XM - OBDII - WWW

[||||||||||||||----] 80% complete

I was just thinking, if someone who has their lilliput already open and has a multi-meter handy could pls find an alternative soldering point to the one i ripped out accidentally. Just use your continuity on the multi-meter and find a point that has no resistance in it.
    I would do this but my point is ripped out and i dont have a spare lilliput handy.

Thanks

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
    Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

Pleeease! anyone out there can help me???
      My lilliput is completely gutted on my bed and i want to goto sleep soon! haha.

Seriously though, I would be soooo damn appreciative is someone could please take the time to find an alternative solder point to the one circled in green in the picture below.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
      Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
      Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

Uh, the one with the trace running to the second pin down on the SyncMOS chip? That's what it looks like to me. The meter says it's connected there too. Just be carefull this time and glue that cap down so it doesn't move!

Comment

Thanks for your reply Curiosity
          I thought that too, I tried soldering the cap/resister to the 2nd pin of the SyncMOS chip but that didnt seem to work. Are you 100% sure that it is that pin? From what I can see on the board the trace doesnt go directly to the bit thats been ripped off my board, instead it falls around 1 mm short of it and theres a tiny drill hole where it ends. I dont see any visible signs that they are connected though.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
          Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
          Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

Yes, I'm sure it's a direct connection. You can't tell because of the white over it. Was the hole damaged? That could be connecting to something on the other side of the PCB.

Comment

The hole isnt damaged. I scratched off a little bit of the non-conductive covering to get a multi-meter point, but other than that its in good condition.
              When you say you are sure, is this by visual inspection or using a multimeter?

Sorry for the 20 questions. But if that point definately goes to that SyncMOS chip then I must have a problem with my screen elsewhere. I need to be 100% sure before I look for a problem that may not even exist.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
              Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
              Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

Yes. I checked it with a multimeter from the resistor to the chip. I don't have the mod, so that's the resistor you used to have.

Comment

great! thanks heaps for your help Curiosity.
                  Will post updates on my progress in this thread

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
                  Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
                  Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

ahhhh SUCCESS!

huge hugs 'n' kisses to Curiosity!

turns out that my capacitor/resistor combo had somehow killed itself. When I tried the 2nd pin from SyncMOS again it still didnt work. Luckily I had bought spare resistors and capacitors and I used 2 new ones and it works. Not too sure whether it was the capacitor that died or the resistor but i will hopefully find out when i tidy up my soldering a bit.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
                    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
                    Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

ok, another update.
                      I replaced the old capacitor to find that it still works. So the old resistor must've shot itself.
                      Anyone know how this could have happened? I have set my soldering iron at 240 degrees (celcius) but usually have it around 300 for normal soldering. Could it be that my iron was too hot?

I replaced the 150K resistor with a 68K and 82K and the screen is chugging along fine now now I need to glue it down and pack it up...

/me crosses fingers

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
                      Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
                      Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

Great news! I bet you're feeling much better knowing it was the mod that killed itself and not something else.

Comment

hehe yeh, definately!
                          The lilliput is all back together again in the in-dash housing. Unfortunately the buttons on the screen arent working at all now! ARGH! im 100% sure i wired up the mod properly so im not going to pull the screen apart again.
                          Maybe it doesnt work because ive soldered the joint onto the leg of the SyncMOS chip? if anyone knows, please let me know how i can fix this. I really dont want to go through my lilliput not working again, i think i grew my first grey hair tonight :O

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
                          Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
                          Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

the ribbon cable is extremely touchy, if i remember correctly the cable has to be twoards one side more inorder for the buttons to work, good luck.

Comment

It's probably just the ribbon cable. Make sure the end on the controls is slid towards the IR sensor before you lock it down. Odd, I never really have trouble with the other end.

Comment

Working...
                              X