20x4 LCD problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20x4 LCD problems

having a problem on my char LCD - some of the lines are shifted left by one...
    It's fine indoors on my home PC, but shows this in car. GROUNDING I hear you shout, but everything is grounded properly
    any idea's? could mediacar have gone screwy?
    James
    www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

A car is a great source of noise, try the same cable outside the car or with the car battery unplugged...
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

tried running cable outside, running it next to PC doesn't seem to help.
      strange part is it changes sometimes - sometimes a few lines go where they should be - and some characters are misdisplayed, which probably says electrical noise rather than software to me...

Comment

OK interestingly i've tried a few other apps, smartie lcd - produces all garbage, but the LCD plugin for girder displays perfectly, I'm beginning to wonder whether it's the delay's between the data sends ( i can set the speed of transmittal on the girder one... ) is this just because noise is effecting a higher speed - or could it be something to do with my parralel port on my M1000 ?
        PS. what mode shoudl the lpt port be in for LCD ? ( ECP/EPP etc )

Comment

right - it gets wierder, tried an EPIA 800 in the car - everything is fine under any LCD software, so it's something to do with either hardware of M1000 or my software - ( i've reinstalled driverlinx I/O driver and reinstalled parallel port driver
          could I have a bad mainboard?
          James

Comment

If you have ripple on your power supply, it could cause false triggering on the display.
            Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
            Syntax SV266AD KT266A
            AMD Athlon XP 2000
            Viking 256MB DDR
            D-Link Wireless 802.11B
            Seagate 120GB
            OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
            SII Wireless Audio Link
            Digimoto OBD-II
            Earthmate GPS
            BU-303 USB GPS
            D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

running an opus 150W - I can rule that out becuase i can run an epia800 machine off it and screen works fine. Suppose all i can do it reinstall XP, if it then doesn't work suppose i need to RMA the board
              James

Comment

Some boards have stronger output on the parallel port than others... I had the exact same problem with mine. I either had to shorten the cable running to it, or use a different board, both fixed the problem. It would happen every once in a while. Weirdest thing. Have you tried a shorter cable just for grins??
                Tidder

Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

yup afraid so, I can't understand why two differnent machines will drive it fine, starting to think the board is faulty - anyone else running a char lcd on a M1000? the parallel port can't differ all that much from the EPIA800 !

Comment

Working...
                  X