Hi,

I was wondering if anybody here knows if there are HUD
    (Heads Up Display) display-kits available to connect
    to your car pc. It would be great for displaying some
    extra information on your windshield

Thanks,

- JW
    - JW

Look up HUD! Many have talked about it. Don't know of many or any succeeding.
    Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

From what I have read in the past you need to have a special windshield to reflect the image properly. At least that's the case with my car.
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

Comment

The HUD im building consists of a 4x20 LCD, a mirror and some reflective window tint.
        Just having LCD troubles
        2011 Nissan Frontier SL
        AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
        OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

I've been thinking about this alot lately. I don't want to do anything with mirrors, so I've been searching for a way to reverse the characters on an LCD. If anybody knows anything...
          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Couldn't you use a graphical LCD and reverse it in the software? You'd have to draw it all yoruself I guess.

Comment

just make your own font.
              Aura MR62 (F and R)
              My Current MP3s
              IamDefiler.com

Comment

im going to use a mirror only so I can adjust the height and angle.
                2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
                  just make your own font.
                  Wont that mean the letters are flipped but not put in reverse order?
                  '01 4runner ░ P3 866 ░ 128mb ░ 20gb HD ░ Radeon 9200SE PCI ░ SB PCI ░ Slim DVD/CD-RW ░ USB GPS ░ 7" Lilli vga TS ░ XP Pro ░ MC ░ Routis '04
                  ForemostWebHosting
                  SpeedGuyParts.com

Comment

Originally posted by sabre
                    Wont that mean the letters are flipped but not put in reverse order?
                    You may have a point here.
                    Aura MR62 (F and R)
                    My Current MP3s
                    IamDefiler.com

Comment

just flip the image twice. put a mirror in front of the lcd display on a 45 deg. angle and place the lcd display flat on the dash, that would probably work.

Comment

If you can control the font the LCD is using, why can't you control what text is going out to the LCD?

Just reverse the order of the characters before sending it to the LCD. That plus reverse font will get you what you need w/o the induced jitter that multiple mirrors give you. Put a patch of mirror-style window tint where you want the HUD, it's transparent but will reflect the LCD clearly in daylight.
                        Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                        http://hallert.net/

Comment

Develop dyslexia and you don't have to worry about mirroring and flipping the images....

Me it for works....

Comment

lol true true. I know there is a system sold for $3k to do infra-red heads up display for cadaliacs and hummers. linkage is at home though...at work right now:-(
                            "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                            Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

An IR HUD? does it come with a pair of james bond spectrum shifting sunglasses? shaweet

I'm liking defiler/chairboy's thinking, though i don't know enough about 9 pin serial / usb LCDs to figure out how practical it is to reverse the font. Correct me if i'm wrong, but these LCDs are simply sent a character stream and positioning information over the bus. Font is handled by the LCD 'controller'. Any thoughts on how you would replace the font on the LCD 'controller'? I neither have a prom writer nor a clue how you'd do this...
                              car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Working...
                              X