Sunlight readable LCDs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunlight readable LCDs

Of interest, I was searching for LCDs that could be seen in direct sunlight and found these:

http://www.vartechsystems.com/produc...e-Monitors.asp

They might be of use for CarPCs, I know that I'm getting my car tinted to reduce the sun glare, but that might not be enough.

Anyone familiar with these guys?
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=vartech

Comment

heh, touche. Guess they're a little more expensive then Lillilputs then.
      Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
      http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
        heh, touche. Guess they're a little more expensive then Lillilputs then.
        Take a look and see if you can afford the new Xenarc 700TS(V) displays. I have one, and they're a lot brighter/clearer than the Lilliput and the older Xenarc, and it's pretty damn readable, even in direct sunlight

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

1400 nits? Sounds like a projector!

That should do it...
          Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
          Syntax SV266AD KT266A
          AMD Athlon XP 2000
          Viking 256MB DDR
          D-Link Wireless 802.11B
          Seagate 120GB
          OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
          SII Wireless Audio Link
          Digimoto OBD-II
          Earthmate GPS
          BU-303 USB GPS
          D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
            Take a look and see if you can afford the new Xenarc 700TS(V) displays. I have one, and they're a lot brighter/clearer than the Lilliput and the older Xenarc, and it's pretty damn readable, even in direct sunlight

Garry
            How do you tell if you have a new one? I was told I would be supplied with the new version but it doesn't seem that bright.

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by jamieo
              How do you tell if you have a new one? I was told I would be supplied with the new version but it doesn't seem that bright.

Jamie
              Well for one i've seen both the old/newer ones.

I'm pretty sure all the newer/brighter ones have the "heavy-duty" 20 pin connector with the two little buttons on either side, and the older one will have the crappy, flimsy 15 pin connector which will come out if you so much as dare to look at it.

Also the fact that mine is readable when the sun is on it is a pretty good clue too.

Garry
              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Well for one i've seen both the old/newer ones
                Also the fact that mine is readable when the sun is on it is a pretty good clue too.
                You seem to have me confused (pun intended) with somebody who doubts you have the newer model

I just want to know if mine is the newer model...

I'm pretty sure all the newer/brighter ones have the "heavy-duty" 20 pin connector with the two little buttons on either side, and the older one will have the crappy, flimsy 15 pin connector which will come out if you so much as dare to look at it.
                Mine has a connector with two latches either side. I wouldn't call it "heavy-duty" and I'm unsure of the number of pins (it's in my dash right now) but it hasn't fell out so I guess I've got the new version. Is there any other way to tell?

What kind colour scheme are you using? I'm currently using the brushed_metal theme (which I love) with mediacar (while working on my own software) but feel the colours do not lend themself to good visibility (read contrast).

Thanks,

Jamie

Comment

jamieo,

I mean that I know the differences between the new/old ones as I have seen/owned both, so me outlining the differences means you can hopefully know

The newer connector might not be "heavy duty" to you, but it's certainly better than the old one!

I'm also using the Brushed Metal skin with MediaCar, but I did have to play with the brightness/contrast a little from the default (which were both set to 0) to get a better picture

Garry
                  www.aimee.cc

Comment

I'm also using the Brushed Metal skin with MediaCar, but I did have to play with the brightness/contrast a little from the default (which were both set to 0) to get a better picture
                    How visible have you found your screen during the recent british sunshine?

Any chance of posting your settings since I'm having difficulty seeing mine clearly...

Thanks,

Jamie

Comment

I have what I believe to be the newer Xenarc 700 TS (V) due to the good connector and I must say it is very, very visible in direct sunlight. That is not to say a hood or something wouldn't help but it is very legible.

Comment

Don't get me wrong - I can see my screen quite clearly in regular direct sunlight. However, most days since I installed it a couple of weeks ago have been very bright and that's when I can't see it very well...

I'll try setting the contrast etc up again.

Jamie

Comment

Working...
                        X