Fried my Lilly ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried my Lilly ?

Wow, that was fast - got my Lilliput 7-inch touchscreen today, and used an AC/DC Adapter as described here ( http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27897 ) to power it.

Worked fine for half an hour or so, and then it just went black. No drama, no smoke, no nothing - just shut off. Now I cant get it to work again.

Any ideas as to where I should begin debugging the screen?

did you try plugging it in to the AC power adapter that it came with to determineif it was the screen or not.
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Try another adapter. You need one that can supply ~800mA or more at 12V. You can go as high as 12.6V to get a slightly brighter screen but I wouldn't risk going higher. If your regulator was using a higher voltate, you may have blow your Lilliput. If you regulator was rated at under 800mA, you may have blown your regulator.

Either way, the easiest thing to do is test it with the OEM AC adapter.
      2004 4runner

Comment

My egg regulates @ ~12.8. The screen is kind of wavy, thought it was dirty power. Too much? Should I hook up to my ITPS/PW-70?
        My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
        2 Kicker Comp 10"
        Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
        Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
        Check it out?!

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

Im getting an adapter for the wallsocket first thing tomorrow (its an american wallsocket type thats delivered with the lilli, right?) and try it out.

Originally posted by rando
          Try another adapter. You need one that can supply ~800mA or more at 12V. You can go as high as 12.6V to get a slightly brighter screen but I wouldn't risk going higher. If your regulator was using a higher voltate, you may have blow your Lilliput. If you regulator was rated at under 800mA, you may have blown your regulator.
          The adapter outputs 12 V, and 500mA. But I dont understand how I can fry something (the regulator) by giving it too LITTLE current?
          Where is the regulator, and is there any way to fix it?

Comment

try the two adapters that came with the lilliput

first the AC adapter
            secondly the car adapter (egg)
            New Lilliput EBY701 For Sale http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?c...at=TOUCHSCREEN
            SiRF3 Bluetooth GPS http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?cat=GPS

Comment

Originally posted by Danneman
              Thanks for the replies,

Im getting an adapter for the wallsocket first thing tomorrow (its an american wallsocket type thats delivered with the lilli, right?) and try it out.

The adapter outputs 12 V, and 500mA. But I dont understand how I can fry something (the regulator) by giving it too LITTLE current?
              Where is the regulator, and is there any way to fix it?
              regulator = wallsocket adapter = dc-dc psu = whatever you were using. If it isn't designed with overload protection, you can fry it by hooking up a device that trys to pull more current than it can supply. The Lilliput needs ~800mA. The 500mA adapter you are ordering is underrated for the job. It may or may not power your screen and then may or may not survive. Order the correct adapter.
              2004 4runner

Comment

Right,basically what rando's saying is that it's not fried, but may not work because it is simply not recieving enough current.
                My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                2 Kicker Comp 10"
                Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                Check it out?!

Comment

Right ... maybe. Your LCD may or may not be fine. I don't see how anything in the scenario you described could have damaged your Lilliput. It IS possible that you damaged the regulator you were using to power the Lilliupt. It's also possible that if you are using an underpowered regulator that it simply won't work or may work only intermittently.

The only way to to test your LCD is to get a good power source (i.e. a regulator that matches or betters the requirements of the Lilliput; 800mA @ 12V). For instance, you could use a +12v output from an AT or ATX power
                  supply to test it.
                  2004 4runner

Comment

Thanks for the explanation - makes perfect sense now. Come to think of it, the regulator WAS very hot when it was feeding the lilliput, whereas the lilliput wasnt.

Alright, Im off getting an american-to-swedish walladapter. Thanks again for the help

Comment

Rando,

My Lilly draws about 550mA when fully on (see this page). Have you measured the 800mA? Perhaps you have a different model.
                      MikeH

Comment

I purposely cited a conservative number. IIRC, the oem egg or wall adapter is rated around 700-800 mA. I haven't taken measurements of the actual Lilli power draw. I know for sure there are at least a couple different Lilli versions internally. Each could have slightly different power requirements.
                        2004 4runner

Comment

Working...
                        X