No announcement yet.

Xenarc direct cause of audio noise- help!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc direct cause of audio noise- help!

Hey all, recently the powerbook part of my carputer setup burned out (DOH!) and I removed it from the car until a time when I can have it fixed. Unfortunetly, since that time, the car audio's aux channel has been giving me noise and I haven't been able to figure out why until now.

In a simplified setup, I have an SNES connected to my head unit straight in- RCA white and red to the head unit's white and red. the SNES is connected to the xenarc through the xenarc's aux 1 input; the yellow RCA. Turning it on without the xenarc connected to power or the 15 pin connector cable is fine (small small small buzz in the audio channel; but I'll deal with that later.)

If I connect power to the xenarc, everything is fine. The momment I put the heavy duty pin connector in tho, a loud buzz fills my audio system (#@&(*@&#(*&#@). Remove power or connector, buzz disappears, add power, buzz still gone, add connector, buzz returns.

At this point, I should note that the picture ont he xenarc is crystal clear.

I tried connecting all the available RCAs to sources- no change in the buzz. I connected the USB to a hub- no change.... I connected the VGA cord to a dock (that had no computer attached), no change. I powered the dock on (still no CPU attached). Noise got LOUDER.

So now I'm thinking it's the VGA's fault- when it's not connected to a VGA output that has signal going through it- it buzzes- wtf? Anyone else run into this problem? How is the signal even getting to my head unit too?

Have tried connecting xenarc and SNES to house power- on connecting xenarc the buzz changed frequency a little bit; and seemed to come in on peak bursts in soud more, but other than that no change.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm going to go try a few more things...

ok, back from some more work.

New hypothesis: !??!

It's not the VGA screen- because when I disconnect the video signal from the SNES; all is clear. I'm going to go get some massive monster cable video connectors, and see if they help.

Ground ALL components (the screen, audio and inverter) to the same point. That should clear up most of the noise.

Don't waste your money on Monster cables, ever!

Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E

Confused, I make my living off AV work- I know that 90% of the time, monster cables are useless. But the cables coming out of my SNES are NOT shielded enough; they need heavy shielding. It's my professional judgement that even tho they may not currently be part of the major issue, they definetly merit replacement. But yeah; i've been going around town asking for: Those cables that no one in their right mind would buy.

(Other times when monster cables are useful: running power and line up one side of the car; 650W next to signal, and no noise..)

But I will try that ground idea!

I tried this by grounding the Inverter and the Monitor to the same ground- it worked! I still have some static noise- but it was there before the monitor problem. Now I figure I just have to ground the head unit @ the same point too..... and I actually couldn't FIND monster cables for the gamecube! lol

First of all I am so thankfull I have found this thread!! So I Believe I am having the same problem..When the VGA is pluged in to laptop the buzz is there..Am I to understand that if I somehow ground the xenarc monitor and my 480 w inverter no more buzz? Forgive me could I get a lil advice on how to ground the monitor?

Did you try a ground loop isolator on your audio? That solved all my audio noise problems. I had to learn the hard way. I even spent money on an igo for the laptop to connect directly to the 12volt and eliminate the inverter.