LCD on your gauges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD on your gauges

has anybody or anybody u seen put in a LCD on to their gauges, i searched and searched couldnt find anybody that did that, if anybody seen or got any pics please let me know, i am thinking about doing that...thanks..
    Blue Glow gagues + Xenon Headlights + Panasonic CD/Mp3 pyr + In Dash LCD + GPS + Music + Music Vidoes + Movies + 2x15" Rockfords (selling them)

Working on: Touchscreen LCD + Voice Control

Not many

Not many people do that because in most areas require you have most gauges VISBILE while driving. So you'll have to hard wire the ones required by law to your PC to display on the LCD.

That's most likely why "not many people do it".

Comment

I was thinking of putting a 4" lcd over my rpm. I have an automatic, and I don't race anymore. Didn't realize it was illegal.
      --------
      mykolJay
      99 Accord coupe
      http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
      My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

RPM might be fine, but I'm not a lawyer.

RPM might be fine, but I'm not a lawyer.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you don't need a tachometer (half the cars out there don't have one in the first place). Legally I don't see the need for any guage other than the speedometer to be visible at all times. Then again, I'm no lawyer...

Comment

I could imagine that a fuel gauge might be mandatory. The best way to check is (if you live in the states) to look up your local state inspection regulations. I know elsewhere there are similar bodies to control this (TUV in Germany).

When you say LCD, I don't know if you mean to have a screen in place of your gauges, or incorporated with the rest of your gauges. Or do you mean mean a 4x20 VFD. I'm thinking of doing something like this. But it's a way down the road.

HTH

Personally I would never trust a PC to speedo and fuel.
            Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

well there are brand new cars coming out with LCD screens on the gauges like the lexus i seen that have a GPS on the gauges itself, it looks pretty hot, i dont really wanna do that, at least not yet, i just wanted to know if anybody have ever done something like that, would like to see it.
              Blue Glow gagues + Xenon Headlights + Panasonic CD/Mp3 pyr + In Dash LCD + GPS + Music + Music Vidoes + Movies + 2x15" Rockfords (selling them)

Comment

In Michigan the only guage requirement is a "bright light indicator".

Reference: Michigan On-road Equipment Inspection form

Comment

in the uk, standard gauges can not be removed, so the lcd mods ive seen go on top of the factory ones.
                  Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
                  Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
                  CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
                  http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

I don't think it would be a good idea to replace the factory gauges with LCDs. If your computer freezes - how are you going to figure out your speed/fuel/RPMs/etc ? The best way is to put the LCDs somewhere next to the gauges. Even then, I don't see why would you want to have speed, etc. displayed on the LCD instead of your car's gauge things. However there are other things (OBD-II related) that would be nice to have, like the engine load, temperature and a few more. For that purpowe it would be easier to get one of those serial LCDs and just mount it somewhere close to the gauges. I will probably do that if I ever buy an OBD-II interface device.
                    00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                    Newest install - my quickest ever
                    My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                    My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

try this link http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23921

Comment

reduncy is good

Comment

Nice!
                          00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                          Newest install - my quickest ever
                          My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                          My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

when asked about the lcd on the gagues i didnt mean to replace it with a LCD, i just meant a LCD in thre with speedometer there, i really dont want to replace the real spedo with a digital one, thats a little too much, i mean kool to have on the screen but not to get rid of the one i have.

Comment

Working...
                            X