X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc roof-mounted LCD?

Has anyone tried this unit out?
    Xenarc roof-mount touchscreen LCD

I really like the looks of it, and it will go perfect with the new ALEXIS motoslave I'm getting lined up (2004 Mercury Marauder).

I'm concerned about mounting/display/sensitivity issues with this unit, since I don't hear too much about it here. Seems like if I don't read about something here, it either doesn't exist, or isn't worth my time and money.

Thanks fellas!
    The ALEXIS Project
    MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
    Color Coding :
    DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

it's basically a Xenarc on a roof mount housing... painted black...

I like the idea of the roof mount...but my ride has a sun-roof...so I don't think I could ever do a roof mount...

Comment

touchscreens up there suck, it's hard to navigate. i had my xenarc mounted up above my rear view mirror and never used the touch aspect because it was too hard to control it while going down the road. now i have mine in my dash and it's much better....

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

how much does the thing cost though? if it costs less than the indash and car kit for my 2004 accord (which is a ****** to install an indash top mount) then i'd pay for one...well the indash is like $450 at www.digitalww.com and the car kit for indash is $175 (topmount) but if i get the bottom mount it's $20 bucks... please give opinions...thx

Comment

Originally posted by freestyler
          touchscreens up there suck, it's hard to navigate. i had my xenarc mounted up above my rear view mirror and never used the touch aspect because it was too hard to control it while going down the road. now i have mine in my dash and it's much better....
          I'm planning on replacing my review mirror with a 8 inch LCD TS. I'm just wondering why/how is it any harder to control the TS there then indash? I'm also planning on using my steering wheel controls for a lot of things. I wont be holding my arm up there as much as most would have to if that is the problem..
          www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

Well, if you check out my project, ALEXIS (in the sig line), I'm going to be including a rearview camera, which means the rearview mirror up there (along with the existing cluster on the roof in the Marauder) goes bye bye.

I won't need to be touching the screen every ten minutes or anything (although I doubtless will because of the "new toy" factor), so precision control isn't really going to be an issue.

One of the main thoughts about going roofmount is that the screen won't be affected by the problems that plague all you poor saps mounting in the dash (just kidding guys) that have to deal with poor visibility due to sunlight.

Not only that, but this Xenarc unit seems to have a lot of blank space on the enclosure just begging for extras like remote PC power switch, reset switch, hard status indicators etc.

So, the screen is generally a good product then?

Pricing seems to be about the $480 range, which isnt all that bad for a roofmounted 7" VGA touchscreen! Wiring may be a bit of a biatch, but then again, if I can get it to work properly, it will be worth it!
            The ALEXIS Project
            Color Coding :

Comment

Originally posted by deadweasel
              Well, if you check out my project, ALEXIS (in the sig line), I'm going to be including a rearview camera, which means the rearview mirror up there (along with the existing cluster on the roof in the Marauder) goes bye bye.

I won't need to be touching the screen every ten minutes or anything (although I doubtless will because of the "new toy" factor), so precision control isn't really going to be an issue.

One of the main thoughts about going roofmount is that the screen won't be affected by the problems that plague all you poor saps mounting in the dash (just kidding guys) that have to deal with poor visibility due to sunlight.

Not only that, but this Xenarc unit seems to have a lot of blank space on the enclosure just begging for extras like remote PC power switch, reset switch, hard status indicators etc.

So, the screen is generally a good product then?

Pricing seems to be about the $480 range, which isnt all that bad for a roofmounted 7" VGA touchscreen! Wiring may be a bit of a biatch, but then again, if I can get it to work properly, it will be worth it!
              DW sounds like we are doing almost the same thing. The only difference if I'm modifing my existing overhead console to hold my LCD/PC/DVD/HD/PSU..

Have you looked into a rearcam yet? I want to get one that will work well at night but also has color since it will be on all the time and replace my normal rearview.

Also I'm thinking about tilting the LCD to the driver a little so I can see it better. Are you worried about yours being straight and looking at it on a angle? (even though the L/R are normally 65deg)

I also think a rearview LCD gets rid of the sunlight problem. The only downside I see is maybe brightness. At night it could be very blinding if not dimmed right.
              www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

Take one of these invert it and make it a top dash mount unit, my concern on touchscreen usage up there would be pressure on the touch screen would continually move it, even slightly
                Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

1. Dont need a touchscreen above your head or mounted between driver and passaer seats.
                  2. Since you will probably get one wihtout a touch, then might as well buy not a vga screen and much cheaper. you need a vga screen in the dash
                  DICE Los Angeles
                  ]

Comment

Originally posted by yunusyu
                    2. Since you will probably get one wihtout a touch, then might as well buy not a vga screen and much cheaper. you need a vga screen in the dash

always get vga, you'll be sorry otherwise

i just found it hard to control because i had to raise my hand up to get control of like copilot or whatever, also in most states you are required to have a rear view mirror, i'd check your laws real quick b4 dropping the mirror

but of course like everything your car your decision, this is merely an opinion. screen quality i'm sure it's just the same as any other xenarc panel, just mounted diffferently and i'm quite pleased with my xenarc.

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

always get vga, you'll be sorry otherwise

i just found it hard to control because i had to raise my hand up to get control of like copilot or whatever, also in most states you are required to have a rear view mirror, i'd check your laws real quick b4 dropping the mirror

but of course like everything your car your decision, this is merely an opinion. screen quality i'm sure it's just the same as any other xenarc panel, just mounted diffferently and i'm quite pleased with my xenarc.
                      Thanks freestyler. Most of my control will be via my steering sheel controls so holding my arm up there isn't going to be a problem.

Also in the state of PA you are only required to have two forms of rear viewing. Either driver side mirror & rearview or drivers ide mirror & passenger side mirror.

Originally posted by SAScooby
                      Take one of these invert it and make it a top dash mount unit, my concern on touchscreen usage up there would be pressure on the touch screen would continually move it, even slightly
                      SAScooby I plan to use my rearview mounting to hold my LCD still. As for this unit I'm guessing they have some type of backstop to keep it from moving any further back if that is what you are asking. Baiscally it locks itself from moving back once in place. It would be pointless if it didn't. Everytime you touched it, it would need to be adjusted..
                      www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

Does anyone know if this roof mount would fit a 2004 accord coupe with sunroof? thx guys

Comment

Originally posted by The Durango Kid
                          Have you looked into a rearcam yet? I want to get one that will work well at night but also has color since it will be on all the time and replace my normal rearview.
                          I'm actually planning on a rearview camera install, but for nighttime, the video would be troublesome. For one thing, nightvision cameras would freak out when I get the *** who insists on driving his H2 on my rear with his brights on, and for another, the brightness of the screen would be a glaring distraction. So my plan is that at night, I will rely on the existing rearview mirror, which is mounted on the windshield in the Marauder, and won't need to be removed to mount this screen.

i'd check your laws real quick b4 dropping the mirror
                          Read above to see why that won't happen anyhow. Besides, Michigan (and indeed, most of the lower 48 states) only requires that there be two rearview devices present. If people were required to have a middle rearview, then folks towing their fifth-wheels and dumptruck drivers would be screwed. Hard.

i just found it hard to control because i had to raise my hand up to get control
                          Dude. I'm teh biggie man. I'm 6'5", which is one reason why I want a big car like the Marauder. Sitting in one of those, with the seat positioned properly (not all pimped to the back seat) I can reach up and touch the joint of the headliner and windshield and hold my hand there all day. My project isn't going to require a whole heck of a lot of touchy feely on the screen anyhow.

As for swiveling the screen, I can see where that *might* become an issue, but I doubt it. Like Durango said, the viewing angle seems to be adequate to leave it straight. Besides, I would like the passenger (whomever she may be) to be able to select a track or two as well. The thing is, I'm getting this new car "on the sneak", which is to say that the new company I'm getting in with is going to lease it for me as a fleet vehicle (deposit, insurance and fuel paid for) and then let me buy it outright after three years. In the meantime, I would really rather not start tearing up the dash to modify it for mounting the screen. Although, if you check out the pics, the stereo is just ripe for yanking out to make room for a nice little display. Hehehehe....
                          The ALEXIS Project
                          Color Coding :

Comment

I'm actually planning on a rearview camera install, but for nighttime, the video would be troublesome. For one thing, nightvision cameras would freak out when I get the *** who insists on driving his H2 on my rear with his brights on, and for another, the brightness of the screen would be a glaring distraction. So my plan is that at night, I will rely on the existing rearview mirror, which is mounted on the windshield in the Marauder, and won't need to be removed to mount this screen.
                            Yeah I'm still looking into a cam myself just because of those reasons. I have a feeling I'm going to find what I am looking for but it's going to cost me an arm and a leg (or even worse, a gallon of gas).

As for swiveling the screen, I can see where that *might* become an issue, but I doubt it. Like Durango said, the viewing angle seems to be adequate to leave it straight. Besides, I would like the passenger (whomever she may be) to be able to select a track or two as well. The thing is, I'm getting this new car "on the sneak", which is to say that the new company I'm getting in with is going to lease it for me as a fleet vehicle (deposit, insurance and fuel paid for) and then let me buy it outright after three years. In the meantime, I would really rather not start tearing up the dash to modify it for mounting the screen. Although, if you check out the pics, the stereo is just ripe for yanking out to make room for a nice little display. Hehehehe....
                            Hehe they looking for more people?
                            www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

the viewing angle is great up there, i never complained about that while it was there thats for sure! Plus it's hard to get sun glare up there, except for in my case when the top was off it was bad. Passenger can control it very easily. I liked mine up there, it was just too hard to use the touch screen for me (6'0") with a bumpy *** ride (jeep wrangler) so I moved it, plus i wanted to do something different with my jeep, heh.

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                              X