Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor Power Question - Is this a danger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Power Question - Is this a danger?

Hey guys,

I am going to hook up a 7" monitor to my car and I wanted to use the constant 12V source Voltage on the vehicle (mainly so I don't lose monitor settings when the car is off). Since the monitor can have the power turned off, I figure this is safe enough without running down the battery while the car is off. However, I was wondering if there is a chance of damage to the device while cranking. Does the voltage in vehicle electrical systems do weird things? I believe the monitor voltage is from 11v - 16v. Also I am running a 1 amp fuse inline with the power connection.

I tried to search, but I wasn't having any luck. Anyone got good info on this for me?

Thanks guys!

If you have an opus or cnx just power it from the psu leads

Comment

doesn't your monitor have a voltage regulator? at least the lilliput's come with the POS eggconverter. even if the voltage drops and spikes, it won't ever go past 16v.

just so u know, even though power may be turned off, some monitors will still draw power. so check this before you drain your battery with the monitor off

Comment

I've hooked up two monitors like this before and I never had issues. I still have the first monitor from 4 years ago that works perfect and the other one is now in my wife Expedition hooked up the same way.

NOTE: Just because it worked for me DOES NOT mean it will work for you. (CYA)

Originally posted by Sivion
        Hey guys,

I am going to hook up a 7" monitor to my car and I wanted to use the constant 12V source Voltage on the vehicle (mainly so I don't lose monitor settings when the car is off). Since the monitor can have the power turned off, I figure this is safe enough without running down the battery while the car is off. However, I was wondering if there is a chance of damage to the device while cranking. Does the voltage in vehicle electrical systems do weird things? I believe the monitor voltage is from 11v - 16v. Also I am running a 1 amp fuse inline with the power connection.

I tried to search, but I wasn't having any luck. Anyone got good info on this for me?

Thanks guys!
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

I have a Xenarc monitor. I do not know if it will draw enough power to make a difference when it's off. I assume not that much if it has a switch to turn power off. Anyway, anyone know if the Xenarcs have issues with being on a constant power line?

Comment

mine is wired straight to my WRX's unregulated power via a relay that's driven by the acc line. I know this isn't excatly what you're talking about but i thought you'd like to hear that the 14v doesn't bug it. My acc line goes low durring cranking so the screen's power is cut out durring the low v of cranking which may be the more dangerious side of the voltage range from the standpoint of damaging your Xenarc.

Comment

I've also had my monitor plugged in directly to the car's battery for a couple of years. No issues.

Of course, some caution is advisable. Personally, I connected my own set of cables onto the vehicle's battery and used the alarm cable's conduit to bring them into the cabin. When inside, I bought in-line fuse boxes and installed them, thus adding a level of protection to both my battery and the devices I use it to power.

Consider wiring up some kind of power distributor once you get the cables inside the cabin, after the fuse. That way, you can power multiple devices off the same line - I'm powering my EPIA-based PC, my monitor, and an XBOX.

Z.

Comment

Working...
              X