something i never even thought about - sunglasses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something i never even thought about - sunglasses

this is something i never even thought about until i just yesterday installed my carputer: SUNGLASSES!!

I wear my sunglasses all the time, especially while driving; theyre great

I've now come to find out that trying to read an LCD with sunglasses on is incredibly difficult
    My Lilliput performs pretty well in sunlight with my sunglasses off but once I have them on the things pretty much unreadable

Argh
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Possibly move the screen low enough to see under the sunglasses, or buy smaller sunglasses that you can look under! A cheap 10$ fix possibly. . . .
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination god I can't believe I did it...

Comment

Do you have polarized glasses?
      If so that is likely the cause.
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

yes i do have polarized lenses
        gives a nice rainbow effect to things including the lcd
        2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

ya polorized lenses do funny things to glass with coatings. I can see weird patterns in just about all glare resistant glass, I bet the touch pannel is causing a simmular effect.

Comment

Yeah, when I was borrowing my mate's Lilliput it was almost impossible to see with sunglasses on, due to the "rainbow"ing.

My new Xenarc, however, doesn't seem to have the same problem, it only gets bad if I tilt my head right round so that it's past being on it's side, then the display starts to go dark (as the polarising in the lenses reach the same direction as the polarising in the screen).

Garry
            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

That sounded very familiar to me. Everytime I try to read anything on the screen (Lilliput), I just have to push the sunglasses up my forehead. The PSOne on the other hand is much better with sunglasses on. I wish the PSone is 7 inch instead of just 5.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Try twisting your head 90 degrees to the left or right.
                Old Systems retired due to new car
                New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey
                  So he can see if the car next to him has a better screen??
                  Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
                    So he can see if the car next to him has a better screen??
                    No, so he can see if the driver in the car next to him wears sunglasses. If not, he can ask that driver what's on his screen.
                    Needstorage
                    --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
                    And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey
                      HAHA... someone that knows something about the physics of polarizing materials.

If you dont know what i mean check out this site, it expalians it a bit http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000...rizationI.html ...and i thought that the stuff i learned in physics would never come up in real life....

and im not sure how this can help your lcd problem...sorry.

-Plinkey

Comment

Originally posted by Needstorage
                        No, so he can see if the driver in the car next to him wears sunglasses. If not, he can ask that driver what's on his screen.
                        I meant twisting, not turning. So that your ears are up and down. You still want to be looking at the screen of course.

Basically you want to try and align the polarity of your polarised sunglasses with that of the polarised filter in the lcd.
                        Old Systems retired due to new car
                        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey View Post

I found this out on my European road trip last month. If I tilt my head 90 degrees to the side, so glassses are vertical, the screen is uber clear, even in sunlight, looking normally the screen is almost black.

I was thinking, instead of this being a problem, couldn't we just recover the screen in a different polarising film and have it orientated at 90 degrees to what is already fitted?

My polarised glasses seem to remove most of the glare and reflections which make the screen hard to see in sunlight, couldn't this be a cheap alternative to Transflective stuff... For those of us with specs
                          My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                          NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by ShawJohn View Post
                            I found this out on my European road trip last month. If I tilt my head 90 degrees to the side, so glassses are vertical, the screen is uber clear, even in sunlight, looking normally the screen is almost black.

I was thinking, instead of this being a problem, couldn't we just recover the screen in a different polarising film and have it orientated at 90 degrees to what is already fitted?

My polarised glasses seem to remove most of the glare and reflections which make the screen hard to see in sunlight, couldn't this be a cheap alternative to Transflective stuff... For those of us with specs
                            Well you cant just flip the film since it is not square, so you will need new film. But essentially yes that is all you have to do.
                            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by aoLhaTer View Post
                              yes i do have polarized lenses
                              gives a nice rainbow effect to things including the lcd
                              Mine do too. Get different shades
                              2001 New Beetle Sport 1.8T, 14 PSI
                              My Youtube Vids
                              Active Member of vwvortex.com and newbeetle.org
                              1st Carputer install in May, 1999

Comment

Working...
                              X