Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP LAPTOP screen

Hi,
    So i ve been reading on the forums on extending a laptop screen and I think i can start with mine. I have many issues though. The ribbon connecting the motherboard to the laptop screen has ripped so i need to replace it. I was going to use wires and try to solder them because then I can extend the screen too. Also the connection to the mobo has come off, I was going to solder the wires straight to the mobo. Good idea/ bad idea? What kind of wires do i need to use and where can i get them.

Thanks,
    A total noob

hack apart a cat 5/6 network cable and use that, but good luck this is a tricky thing to get right and remember its not just the signal there will probably be some type of back light as well
    Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

cat 5 will work something sheilded would be better though! Hack apart a monitor extention cable.
      [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

I'm interested in knowing more about extending the lcd, Do you guys know if there is a FAQ or thread that covers this in more detail? Thanks,

c4shm0ney
        01 Metro LSI
        79hp 41MPG Highway
        Check my progress
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51295

Comment

In order to get specifics you have to give specifcs for what you want to do!

what is the model of the laptop, size and type of screen?

Comment

sorry for the lack of detail, I'm wanting to extend a LCD from a Toshiba Satelite 470CDT about 2 feet and mount it on the dash. I'm curious to know if anyone has done anything with the 470CDT or similar models. From what I've gathered the inverter needs to be kept very close to the lcd, Does anyone where it's located on my model? Correct me if I'm wrong but if the inverter is in the plastic moulding for the lcd then I only need to extend the cable going to it and the power?

Unrelated question.. I'm curious to know if anyone has a good simple and cheap method of attaching a LCD to a car dash?

Thanks for your help,

c4shm0ney
            'Ballin on a budget'
            01 Metro LSI
            79hp 41MPG Highway
            Check my progress
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51295

Comment

what size and type is the screen? It usually makes a difference for the interface pinouts.

Comment

this might help others, this is what I have found so far:

you have a SatellitePro 470CDT
                with:
                Display Type: TFT Active Matrix Color (800 X 600 resolution)
                Size 12.1 Diagonal
                Dot Pitch .30mm x .30mm
                Contrast Ratio: 100:1 (min)
                VIDEO
                Memory: 4Mbit EDO DRAM, 3.3V 2 MB
                Speed: 50ns
                Hyper Page mode support: Yes
                Controller Chip: C&T F65555
                Data Bus Width: 64-bit
                PCI Bus Architecture w/burst mode Yes: 32-bit, 30 MHz
                Graphics Accelerator: Yes with 64-bit BitBLT support

full specsheet is here

spare parts here
                http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/t...A1255U-T2C.asp

and here
                http://www.impactcomputers.com/toshi...-hardware.html

from that last site it looks as if all you have to do is cut the "LCD HARNESS - P000236180" and extend it about the 2 feet that you want and also note the picture of the "Toshiba 12.1" TFT COLOR LCD DISPLAY" it looks as if it has another two wires that will need to be extended.

Comment

oh yeah, the Toshiba Part Number for the screen is: P000218950 and/or VF0168P01

sorry that is all I can do right now I am leaving work, but that should be enough to get you some help

Comment

Working...
                  X