Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Nissan Altima screen placement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2001 Nissan Altima screen placement

    Anyone have any idea how I can mount a screen here without having to do any major modifications? because I have no idea how to do any kind of fabricating...


  • #2
    You could use some bracket that fits in the cracks (right word?) between the dashboard and air-vents.

    Then mount your screen on some swivel-thingy...

    The radio seems awfully fit to be replaced by an indash install of a xenarc/lilliput though...

    Joa
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JC-S60
      You could use some bracket that fits in the cracks (right word?) between the dashboard and air-vents.

      Then mount your screen on some swivel-thingy...
      Where do I find those?

      Originally posted by JC-S60
      The radio seems awfully fit to be replaced by an indash install of a xenarc/lilliput though...
      Well, that would be nice... but I don't want to cut anything and I can't fabricate. Unless I could find another dash to cut up, I don't want to cut anything.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not sure you'd need to cut the dash, cut some flat textured plastic sheet to the same size as the front of your stock stereo and cut a hole in that for the screen. Mount the flat panel in the opening vacated by the stereo so that it is flush with the back of the dash trim & you're done.

        Not easy, but you could put a screen in there without cutting the dash trim. You just have to lose (or move the stereo).

        I'm sure someone who has done this will chime in. I have as yet to do it myself.

        If removing the stereo & fabricating mounts doesn't appeal then the alternative is to use a flat metal mounting plate that fits between panels/vents. They are usualy used for mobile phone mounts but can double up as a screen mount. A quick google search turns up this: http://buy-car-electronics.efastmall.com/ZZ23407.html



        To this you'd fix your stock screen mount or something that swivels from Ram mounts: http://www.ram-mount.com.




        The latter alternative is what I'm thinking of for my Corvette.
        EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
        Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
        XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pip
          Not sure you'd need to cut the dash, cut some flat textured plastic sheet to the same size as the front of your stock stereo and cut a hole in that for the screen. Mount the flat panel in the opening vacated by the stereo so that it is flush with the back of the dash trim & you're done.
          Wouldn't I lose the buttons then? What the hell are those things for, anyway?

          Originally posted by pip
          Not easy, but you could put a screen in there without cutting the dash trim. You just have to lose (or move the stereo).
          Move the stereo? Where else is there to put a double-din head unit?

          Comment


          • #6
            Sweet another 2nd Gen Altima owner. I've been lurking for a while but this is my first time posting.
            Here's what I did to mount a screen. First I bought this LCD screen.

            Heh those are some happy old people.

            It's selling for $114 now I think I picked it up for $80-90. It's not a great screen but it's fine aslong as you don't have any small text.

            Next I took out the pocket(21) from the Altima's dash(20). It's the thing below the radio with the ash tray and cig lighter in it. And from behind I mounted a bit of plexiglass with the screen screwed into it.



            So you can see the screen where the pocket would be. It's not touch screen so I just use an IR remote. I wish I could snap a picture but unfortunately I don't have my camera with me.

            Comment


            • #7
              and that's not too low? I was worried that it would be too low in the radio spot...

              Where did you put the actual computer?

              Comment


              • #8
                It's fine for me. Avoids a lot of glare by being down there too.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That isn't too low? I was afraid that it might be too low in the radio slot. Also, where did you put the computer?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I put the computer underneath the passenger seat. It's a mini-itx board in a generic enclosure. It's snug but it fits.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by egeekial
                      Wouldn't I lose the buttons then? What the hell are those things for, anyway?
                      Screen buttons? Depends on how much room you have. If its a lilliput you can lose the buttons & use the remote instead.

                      Originally posted by egeekial
                      Move the stereo? Where else is there to put a double-din head unit?
                      The trunk?

                      If I were you I'd go with the bracket & keep the head unit where it is.
                      EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                      Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                      XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by XavierBlak
                        I put the computer underneath the passenger seat. It's a mini-itx board in a generic enclosure. It's snug but it fits.
                        Where'd you get the case?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's just a generic metal box that I got from digikey. I'll see if I can find the part number if your interested.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey Xavier, Where did you get the pic of the Altima Dash?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X