Xenarc - worth the money? Alternatives / Input plz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc - worth the money? Alternatives / Input plz

I finally broke down yesterday and bought my PC parts and etc. to get this thing together. w00t!

But now I need to pick a touch screen.

I know this has been brought up dozens of times in the past (I have probably read them all at one time or another since I found this site). But since the market changes all the time, I want to get a quick consensus before I spend $650.

I wanted, initially, to use the 7" xenarc. But I have a few questions.
    Is the new model with the 'brighter' screen so much 'brighter' (reffering to base brightness, not the upgraded brightness option)?
    Should I opt for the 'Upgraded Brightness' option for $150 if I buy the new model? What about the old model?

Also, I find I have enough room for an 8" screen and was considering using the lilliput sold here. Any input on that one regarding quality, reliability, overheating, coming out of hibernation, etc.?

Any other 7-8" options out there that support full VGA?

Budget is not a huge issue, but of course I want to save money if I can. I just want to make sure my screen works and is easy to read and use. And wont cut out!

Any reseller information would also be very helpful... Good prices are hard to come by these days.

TIA!

I have a xenarc 700TSV that works great even in sunlight. I think I paid $450 or so for mine from 007spysupply.com

Comment

Xenarc all the way man!
      I got mine for 200 ($420) as I am here in the UK. Have used it indoors in different conditions (sunlight etc) and it works a treat.
      Much better than the lilliputs I have seen before!
      Well chuffed :P
      www.leoncupra.co.uk

Comment

just out of interest, have you actually 'seen' lilliputs in the flesh, compared side by side? i would be interested in the results.....

what makes, how is the image better on the xenarc than the lilli?

cheers

Jamie

Comment

I have a new xenarc, it works fine during the day as long as I dont' have my sunroof open, if I do, you can't see too much on it on sunny days.

Spec wise, the xenarc and the lilliput are pretty much exactly the same, I think the substantial differences are in terms of build quality.
          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

what others have posted before is that it is a brighter screen. That and the fact that the parts are not refurb (apparently Lilliput uses refurb parts in their screens) has convinced many posters that the extra cost is worth it.

wyckyd, Pabs, any thoughts on the Enhanced Brightness option for the Xenarc?

Comment

wyckyd : 007spysupply.com does not seem to work for me. A quick google search didn't turn anything up either... is that address right?

[EDIT] spysupply007.com I found it in a search of the message boards. Thanks, I'll check that out.

[EDIT2] I might get $20 off the order per this, but I think since it is from 2002 it prolly wont be honored:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10299

Comment

A little info on the brightness upgrade...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30053
                StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
                  A little info on the brightness upgrade...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30053
                  Read through that thread b4 I posted my question but thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pabs
                    Xenarc all the way man!
                    I got mine for 200 ($420) as I am here in the UK. Have used it indoors in different conditions (sunlight etc) and it works a treat.
                    Much better than the lilliputs I have seen before!
                    Well chuffed :P
                    where did u get the screen from?? Any URL??
                    Is it possible to have a new Xenarc with the brightness upgrade in Europe in order to avoid taxes??

Comment

Brightness upgrade: No idea sorry.
                      Europe: I got this from a local dealer through ebay believe it or not. However, he is local and so he delivered in person, and I am staying in touch for extra parts. i know that his usual price is 280 ($520) but i was lucky as I was the only bidder on ebay!!!! woohoo!
                      As for taxes, I am still awaiting my carnetix psu, hopefully without taxes..... :S
                      www.leoncupra.co.uk

Comment

Pabs m8, as above you seen xenarc n lilil side by side or near enough?

Comment

well it looks like I am paying through the nose for a Xenarc unless I can get some other input... This screen is going to cost twice the rest of the system! Yech..

Comment

The 7" USB Touchscreen ************** sells is pretty nice. It uses the same panel as the Lilliput but has the touchscreen controller the Xenarc uses. Great price and the quality is very good and it is priced pretty low as well.
                            1995 Saturn SL2
                            Carputer removed.
                            Pioneer DEH-P880PRS head unit
                            Soundstream Rubicon 600-4 4 Chan Amp
                            Diamond Audio D661s components w/Active Crossovers
                            MB Quart RAA1000 monoblock amp
                            2 Alpine Type R 1041D 10"s

Comment

I've got two of the non-touchscreen Xenarcs in my headrests, and they have been flawless for almost a year now. I replaced two crappy MA audio screens with these..... I guess you get what you pay for!
                              1999 Olds Bravada
                              15" In-Dash/7"headrests/AMD 2500+/768/160G/DVD
                              Extigy Platinum/GeForce Ti/Opus 150w/GPS/WiFi Bluetooth/Sony Ericsson T610
                              Soundstream Amps/RF Components/Subs

2002 Jetta VRoom6
                              *Work In Progress*

Comment

Working...
                              X