Interesting mounting idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting mounting idea

I've had a pretty cool idea for the mounting for my monitor in the car - see what you think.

Mount the montior on slide rails (use them under the monitor for neatness) and then simply use a small 12v actuator mounted to a riser arm under the dash.

Cut an exit hole in the dash, with a nice cover on top of the montior so when it is under the dahs it's toally invisible and looks nice - you could even wire it through to an opus I presume to activate whenever the PC is activated.

So: Get in car, turn on ignition. Opus or whatever triggers PC and actuator, monitor rises vertically out of dash and the job's a good un. No problems with security as it'll be totally hidden, and no problems with mounting as there is usually a lot more space under the dash than you think. My only worry is the laws regarding having things on your dash obscuring view - but a widescreen monitor is only going to be five inches high, so surely it should be okay?

Actuators can be got for a tenner, and the rest is just thought and design. Plus, how cool would it be??? If it works, I think I may find a way to put one of the centre console for rear passenger viewing too on a manual switch.

Thoughts? Have I explained myself well enough?

Majik

Done a quick drawing to illustrate - sorry if they're a bit big....

TFT down

TFT up

I see no reason why touchscreens wouldn't work for this either.

Majik

Comment

whats a tenner?
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

heh heh, I think thats 10 pounds if i'm not mistaken. I have seen this done in a persons car before and it looked very cool, but he had alot of problems with the sliding part it kept jamming.
        肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

i was planning on doing this but i didnt have enough room..
          rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

What woudl you do about the hole in the top of the dash? unless your going to add a flap or something that will just go down when the screen dones
            Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by MajikNWA
              with a nice cover on top of the montior so when it is under the dahs it's toally invisible and looks nice
              rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

I saw one just like this a while ago at a car show. It was in a Smart Car! (one of these for any non-europe types that may not have seen them). Tiny little car. The guy had a 17 inch panel that came out of the top of his dash!! It would come either full way for movies etc, or half-way for GPS etc.

The problem? He had to remove all the air-con, and even all the other piping for the standard heater so he had no airflow into the cabin!!!!

Strictly a show car, methinx!

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

i think you are talking about T1ny! I met him here in UK! He is on this forum.
                  Search for "T1NY "

www.t1ny.com
                  MG ZR CARPUTER (UNITED KINGDOM)

Comment

The Rails sounds like a good idea. but insted of using a piston Actuator to move the screen up and down. why not use Tracks, like a tank. like 2. or hell, even one in the middle to Move it up and down. I think that would be easyer. And wouldnt bind up or jam.

Comment

Originally posted by Aftaab001
                      i think you are talking about T1ny! I met him here in UK! He is on this forum.
                      Search for "T1NY "

www.t1ny.com
                      That's the one!

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                      CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

Working...
                      X