Smaller VGA Touchscreen module

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller VGA Touchscreen module

I want to put a vga touchscreen for a carputer in my upcoming MINI. My plan right now is to get the chrono pack so the speedo/tacho are on the wheel so i can use the center circle to put my screen in (remove the chrono gauges), much like the sat navigation package does. The sat nav package uses the same screen/system as all bmws, which is a 16:9 6" screen, 3.5"x5" dimensions.

I think the fit for that is pretty tight in that circle, so I won't be able to really put anything larger than that in there. So my question is does anybody know of a decent vga touchscreen display that is 3.5x5" or smaller? Also, will frodoplayer, navigation, etc look bad if i go with a 6" instead of a 5" screen?

There's really only one din slot in the mini and i'm putting my carputer in it, so I need to find a way to mount the screen in dash without using an in-dash unit, thus why i'm looking at that circle.

Why not use a 7" screen like the lilliput, mount it behind your dash (presumably the only size issue is the apertute and not the space behind?) and then configure frodoplayer or whatever to use slightly less than full screen. You'll lose a little real-estate, but it would work...

Originally posted by Nicholasp27
    I want to put a vga touchscreen for a carputer in my upcoming MINI. My plan right now is to get the chrono pack so the speedo/tacho are on the wheel so i can use the center circle to put my screen in (remove the chrono gauges), much like the sat navigation package does. The sat nav package uses the same screen/system as all bmws, which is a 16:9 6" screen, 3.5"x5" dimensions.

I think the fit for that is pretty tight in that circle, so I won't be able to really put anything larger than that in there. So my question is does anybody know of a decent vga touchscreen display that is 3.5x5" or smaller? Also, will frodoplayer, navigation, etc look bad if i go with a 6" instead of a 5" screen?

There's really only one din slot in the mini and i'm putting my carputer in it, so I need to find a way to mount the screen in dash without using an in-dash unit, thus why i'm looking at that circle.

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

it would be going in the circle in the center of the dash (look at any new mini cooper..it's where the speedometer is in most minis)

so it'd look weird if it didn't fit inside the circle

Comment

is this what you are talking about ?

Closeup

Larger View

[HINT] A picture is worth a 1000 words

Comment

yeah, thanks

that's what i'm talking about

i found out from a sat nav mini owner that the bmw screen is a tight fit (and it's only 3.5x5" or 6" diagonal) so i definitely can't do the 7"...so i need a 6" screen or maybe a 5.6" non-widescreen? i see digitalww has a 5.6" touchscreen overlay, so now i just need a decent 5.6" vga lcd screen. But how would fp/mc/me/etc look on that screen size? I could create my own software if i had to, but for times sake, would rather just use one of the great programs that already exist.

Comment

well i had an in dash 7", but on my new cooper, im plannin to mould it where the AC/ radio was.. and either move the ac down, or control it thru carpc.

tom.

Comment

If you can't do a 7" TS, then your only choice is to do a PSone VGA mod and use the 5.6" that digitalwww has.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

would that psone vga mod with digitalww touchscreen look as good and sharp as a 7" lilliput/xenarc/gain/etc?

i'm leaning towards doing what mutilator said and just move all the controls down to the empty space and put the screen in flush with the dash like this picture:

I'd prolly put the lcd where that one is
                put the carputer right under it where those toggles are
                put the ac where that hu is
                put the toggles on the bottom

Comment

is that a photoshop? i guess not?
                  the screen would have to be moulded into the downpipes. i think anyways. im thinkin of settin mine back as far as i can, to keep the glare down.
                  tom.

Comment

For sharpness between the Lilliput w/TS and PSone VGA mod they not much different.
                    For readability, well, you can still read the PSone even the sun shine directly to it, but you can't see anything on the Lilliput w/TS. It's all because the glare on the Lilliput that make the screen unreadable when the sun shine on the screen.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

ur saying the touchscreen overlay is what makes the difference? either way i go will be touchscreen

i specc'd it today without the chrono pack, as i'm abandoning the idea of putting it in the center circle for now (can still change mind for next week or 2)

that pic isn't a photoshop so far as i know...someone on mini2 posted that...i need to find the thread/writeup/member to get more info on the details of installing it...

i think i'll take cut a piece of abs plastic and then cut a hole out the size of the touchscreen and use just the lcd module sticking out of that (no casing around the lcd)

Comment

hmm, ok that might work. youll still probly have to hack up the downpipes, i think anyways, cant remember just how wide they are
                        ... on the other hand, if the tm701l goes in, there must be room between em. yea mabe im talkin crap.

heh
                        keep us posted.

tom.

Comment

yeah, a 7" screen fits in a din-sized unit and since the downpipes are a din-sized wide (so u can put in hu)...the main issue is moving all the stuff down and how hard that is (wire length, mounting brackets, etc)

Comment

well the hu has a plastic thing underneath it... when u remove the aircon unit you may find you will need to hack that up a little.
                            as for movin everythin down im not sure how youd go about it. definatley need to hack the downpipes up.

tom.

Comment

the lilliput will fit, but the xenarc is about 3mm to wide for a din housing.. but you can saw off the side bits to make it fit... just thought I would let.. might help

cheers

CdR
                              Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X