No announcement yet.

848x480 works on Via EPIA TC & Lilliput

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 848x480 works on Via EPIA TC & Lilliput

I just thought I'd let everyone know that the 848x480 resolution (and the 720x480 resolution also) works on the Epia TC motherboard.
    I used the following drivers (from VIAs official site):

Integrated VGA
    Version (Date) Win98/ME:; Win2000/XP:
    File Name (Size) (68.72M)
    VIA integrated VGA driver

848x480 (60Hz) showed up in the (List all modes ) list and it worked.

The lilliput reports 640x480 and the picture is not as clear as on 800x600 or 640x480 but anyway.

On a side note: the 720x480 resolution looks VERY good (better that 640x480 or 800x600), try it out for yourselves if you have a TC board.

TC board?
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

TC board are the ones that you just feed regulated 12v to it, the mobo does the rest of the power regulation
      Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

The Epia M10000 (and most others) do 848x480

That's not a problem.

The problem is that the native resolution of the Xenarc/Lilliput is 800x480, and the Epia boards won't do that.

You're trying to squish 848 pixels into the space of 800, and it will look rubbish, as will anything you're trying to "squish" in the horizontal plane. It is a LOT less noticeable "squishing" a picture in the vertical plane (squashing 800x600 into 800x480)

720x480 will look good because you have the right number of pixels in the vertical plane, and you're not losing anything in the horizontal plane, but you are going to be "stretching" 720 pixels into 800, which isn't going to look too brilliant either (but better than "squashing" and losing pixels!

Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E

I also have I Radeon 9200 card that will actually do 800x480 (even the Lilliput reports that the resolution is indeed 800x480) and that does still not give me a 1:1 pixel mapping (can easily be tested by using for example the Nokia Monitor tester).
          The point is that 720x480 using the Epia actually looks better than 800x480 using the Radeon card.
          So since I'm building my own custom 1-din enclosure (and a Radeon card tends to take up quite a lot of valuble space) I'm wondering if it is worth the extra trouble of actually using the Radeon.

Has anyone been able to get an exact 1:1 pixel mapping using a Radeon card? If so, please post your powerstrip timings so that I might try them out.
          IF I manage to get 1:1 pixel mapping, I will definidently try to get the Radeon card to fit inside my 1-din enclosure.
          It wouldn't be much of a challenge if I didn't try now would it?

Ps. The Lilliput actually says 848x480 when I run 720x480 using the Epia board. Weird!
          Ps2. I have actually tried an Epia-M and it would NOT do 848x480, not with any driver, neither in windows nor linux.

Yea.... i am unable to get the via m10k to work at 848x480 or 840x480 with its onboard video.
            -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

I too have been unable to get my Gain to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping after literally hours of PowerStrip tweaking. That was using a very tweakable Radeon 9700. I eventually gave up concluding that it was something to do with the auto mode detection and sizing algorithm used by the display's firmware. Every time I thought I was getting close the screen would try to re-acquire the mode and re-interperet the incoming signal's geometry. The result was that I always felt that I was going round in circles.

I did manage to get the screen to reckon the incoming signal was 800x480 at one point but unfortunately I've lost the timings for it. Most of the time it said it was 848x480.

I'm sure I read here somewhere that different versions of Xenarcs/Gains have different display mode capabilities. Presumably that means they have different firmwares/controller boards - anyone have any concrete info on this?