Need more LCD options!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more LCD options!!

I've been reading the various threads about lilliputs and Xenarc's and beginning to wonder if I really ought to get a bigger, brighter LCD and maybe forgot the touch screen functionality in favor of a PS/2 touch pad.

It seems the lilliputs/Xenarcs are barely bright enough in sunlight at best from what I've read.

I'd also like to output at 1024x768 native (or at least a display that does a good job of scaling to a smaller display).

The video chip in my mATX board is the same as in the EPIA's so I'll have the same problem everyone else has trying to get 800x480 native to work which would probably force me to use 800x600 or 1024x768 downscaled on the LCD.

I could possibly get a half-height nVidia MX440 which should let me do 800x480 native (except I really want to be outputting 1024x768 of course)...

Are there any smaller LCDs that do 1024x768 natively? I'm looking into whether a 10.4" is small enough to be made to mount reasonably neatly or not but I suspect not.

However, all the 10.4" lcds I've seen in laptops generally suck in bright sunshine.

Has anyone managed a bigger screen that's good in sunshine. If so, can they give me some pointers?
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Originally posted by Arathranar
    I've been reading the various threads about lilliputs and Xenarc's and beginning to wonder if I really ought to get a bigger, brighter LCD and maybe forgot the touch screen functionality in favor of a PS/2 touch pad.

It seems the lilliputs/Xenarcs are barely bright enough in sunlight at best from what I've read.

I'd also like to output at 1024x768 native (or at least a display that does a good job of scaling to a smaller display).

The video chip in my mATX board is the same as in the EPIA's so I'll have the same problem everyone else has trying to get 800x480 native to work which would probably force me to use 800x600 or 1024x768 downscaled on the LCD.

I could possibly get a half-height nVidia MX440 which should let me do 800x480 native (except I really want to be outputting 1024x768 of course)...

Are there any smaller LCDs that do 1024x768 natively? I'm looking into whether a 10.4" is small enough to be made to mount reasonably neatly or not but I suspect not.

However, all the 10.4" lcds I've seen in laptops generally suck in bright sunshine.

Has anyone managed a bigger screen that's good in sunshine. If so, can they give me some pointers?
    only dont forget that must frontends are designed for 800x480
    Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Hmm. I'm currently thinking of using Windows Media Center OS but if I change my mind and start experimenting with other front ends, then that's a very good point.
      Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
      Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
      Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

Regarding sunlight readable screens, read my long-*** overview in this thread.

You can find hi-bright and transflective 10" screens. Getting the higher rez might be tough, but I wouldn't discount it totally.

Comment

is the glare really that bad in sunlight? Like does it make the lilliput screens unreadable, or it's just washed out and kind of inconvenient but still readable enough to function?

Comment

my 7" Lilliy TS LCD is unreadable & virtually useless in daylight, so I memorize the locations of << >> and just pull up a particular playlist when I start car, when I can safely lean down and shade the screen with one hand. Otherwise I pray for thunderstorms

But I do keep checking back on the forums to see if anyone has found a "wonder screen"
            Scott

MCS-PC
            Epia M-10000
            XP Pro; 512MB; 60GB (2.5")
            Panasonic Slot SlimDVD/CD-RW
            7" Lilliput (Touchscreen)
            Casetronic C137 w/ 90W PSU (Temp)
            19V Laptop Adapter (Temp)

Comment

get limo tint
              throw a moon

heuvos vin chevos