X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which LCD is right for me? And where?

ok, here is a pic of my dash of my car. pic1
    pic2

I've been told a 7'' screen can fit into the lower part of the dash (where on-board computer and sunglasses holder are at). But I really don't want to have to relocated those.

I was thinking about maybe laying the screen on top of my dash, then flipping it up when needing it.

Also, I really want a touchscreen so I won't have to worry about a mouse/keyboard too much but I really don't want to spend anything more than $200 for the screen.

Any help for which LCD and where to place it would be great.
    Thanks.

Yeah, it looks like you could definitely get a Xenarc or Lilliput in there.

Check out http://www.digitalww.com

They sell 'em. Plus they have lots of info about these little units.

- Jeff
    95 Mustang GT Convertible
    87 Mustang GT Convertible
    My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

What's go great about the 'VGA' monitors?
      Since they seem to be more expensive... are they better quality? Or does that just mean they can take video input directly from a regular video card and act as a normal monitor(and not have to use video-out).

Oh. and they have two 7'' VGA LCD monitors with touchscreens.. yet one is $55 more. What's the diffierence?

Comment

Yep - you can get composite or VGA. Which items are you looking at?

- Jeff
        95 Mustang GT Convertible
        87 Mustang GT Convertible
        My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

Originally posted by mole
          What's go great about the 'VGA' monitors?
          Since they seem to be more expensive... are they better quality? Or does that just mean they can take video input directly from a regular video card and act as a normal monitor(and not have to use video-out).
          Yes and yes.

VGA goes to 800x600 resolution (i think). EGA, VGA, SVGA, XGA, etc... are different resolutions, but most people dont' know the difference so they call them all VGA screens. What people usually call a "VGA" connection is the 15-pin connector on the back of your video card (or motherboard if equipped). The video connection is either an RCA jack like what you have on the back of your VCR, or an S-video jack like you probably have on your home DVD player.

"Video" screens are typically closer to 300x240 resolution, so they can be much cheaper, but there are many screens out nowadays that can take a 'VGA' signal as well as one or two 'video' inputs and switch between them.
          Old plans out the window because of an accident .
          Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
          Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

Comment

im pretty shure that vga is the only type of moniter that supports computers

Comment

http://www.digitalww.com/VGA_TM_710VG.htm
              and
              http://www.digitalww.com/TM700TS.htm

looks like the more expensive one is brighter and thinner.
              Does anyone have either one of these screens?

Comment

hey, heres an idea if you don't want to chop the dash up & the pc is going to be an auxilary unit anyway, & it would look a whole lot better than just sitting it up on the dash. what about building it in overhead. you could mount it inbetween the visors & in the bmw's there is a separate panel in the center that you could modify to accept it, while being able to return it to stock if the desire arises.you will also benifit from the fact that the sun will never be directly on the screen...don't know if this is a good idea for you or not, just some food for thought...
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                X