Opinions/Ideas: Possible screwed Lilliput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions/Ideas: Possible screwed Lilliput

After the excitement with my last Lilliput (taken apart, put back together and no display).. I ordered a new one.

It's arrived, but is very slightly different to the last one (different style VGA/USB connector with a screw collar on it and no USB port on the side, some non-standard something or other there instead). I guess this is just an updated version of the screen?

Anyway, I've got it plugged into my M10000 Nehemiah and it's acting up. It'll work absolutely perfectly for a few minutes but then starts to flicker really badly , making the screen completely unreadable. The picture flickers, rolls and skews until you turn the screen off and back on again... when it will last a slightly shorter time and then do it again. You can get it back by cycling through the inputs back round to VGA, too.

I'm going to give it a quick test on my home PC tonight, but it doesn't *seem* to be a software issue. If I leave the PC on in BIOS for long enough, the same thing happens... although when the PC shuts down or hibernates, it sorts itself out when the screen flicks onto the Hibernating/Shutting Down screen (this might just be because the VGA feed is interrupted, so it's the same as turning off/on).

Has anyone experienced this in the past? Could it be a software problem? I'm running Windows XP at 800x600/32 bit colour with a standard M10000 Nehemiah VGA output. It is running at a 60hz refresh rate, but there doesn't seem to be an option to alter this?

If anyone does have any clues, it'd be massively appreciated... otherwise I guess it's going to have to go back to the Ebay seller for a replacement
    Celica VVTi
    EPIA M10000 Nehemiah, 160Gb HDD, 7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen, Opus 150Watt PSU, Slimline DVD/CDRW, Road Runner

The exact same thing happens to my new Lilliput (I got a new one since the touchscreen was broken on the old one).
    If iI just leave it on for 30minutes or more the picture will get all weird (too dark, too bright, interlaced etc.) sometimes it just poweres off. Then as you said if I power it on again it will work for a few minutes before breaking down again.
    I have tried this on 3 different computers with different hardware and software configurations, so Im fairly sure that the Lilliput is to blaim. Also, my "old" one did not have this problem at all.
    Im have RMAd this new monitor and will send it back for (yet another) replacement.

Comment

Bugger.

I'll give it some testing tonight, but that doesn't sound so good. It's not much fun having to send stuff back to Hong Kong for replacement...
      Celica VVTi
      EPIA M10000 Nehemiah, 160Gb HDD, 7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen, Opus 150Watt PSU, Slimline DVD/CDRW, Road Runner

Comment

I know its a PITA to RMA it but thats the joys of cheap made Asian product

Comment

I snapped a few pictures of the screen.
          Note that the 2 pictures are taken using the exact same camera settings (shutter speed , F-value etc). They are also shot just a few seconds apart since the screen was flickering between bright and dark.

Attached Files

Comment

Have you wrote to lilliput about our problems? I cant send mine back
            I GIVE FREE HUGS!
            Buy Sell or Trade
            If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
            Thank you
            Forex
            Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

No I haven't talked to Lilliput, I have only talked to the seller (cartft.com) and he said that I should send it back to him for a replacement.

Comment

I also have the same problem when I use the VGA mode. It takes about
                20 to 30min to become unsable in my case. However, the problem does
                not occur in the case of video input even after 60min. usage.
                Has anyone tried the video mode?
                If only the VGA mode is strange, then the problem may be related to the
                thermal overload of the VGA controller chip (Novatek NT68320F?).
                Now I am considering how to cool down the chip (or whole system).

Comment

Im watcing a dvd on it now through the AV cables and its been about half hour and no problems yet. After this i will hook it to laptop and see what happens. ill keep ya posted

Edit:
                  // ------------------- HP ze5385us laptop ------------------- \\
                  Powered off of AV cable: *Using DC brick*
                  Test #1: Over 1 hour of Black and White DVD (playstation2) *NOTHING WRONG*.

Test #2: Over 1.5 hour of VGA (.avi in WMP 9.0) *NOTHING WRONG*.

Powered off back of Lilliput screen: *Using DC brick*
                  Test #3: Over 1 hour of playing Tony Hawk (playstation2) *NOTHING WRONG*

Test #4: Over 1.5 hour of VGA (.avi in WMP 9.0) *NOTHING WRONG*.
                  // -------------------- Nehemiah M10000 -------------------- \\
                  Powered off of AV cable: *Using Cig lighter and Egg*
                  Test#5: Over .5 hour of mp3 visuals (iTunes) *SOMETHING WRONG*

So im not going to do anything more. I have a feeling like Mauri said, its power. If this is the cause what would be the easiest solution the to problem? Another, deep cycle, battery? I cant power mine off my psu. I wish i had room for an opus lol
                  I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                  Buy Sell or Trade
                  Thank you
                  Forex
                  Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Thank you for your nice report.
                    It seems that your lilliput does not have any problem now.
                    Could you tell me what have you changed?

I did open my lilliput and put tiny heatsink on to the VGA chip.
                    It delays just slightly the duration, however I still have
                    the same problem.

Next I used air duster to cool down the chip with the heatsink
                    just after the color became strange. Then the color return to
                    normal by the airflow for a while.

I used AC adapter for all trial. The output voltage is 12.58V
                    without load. Is this output voltage is too high?

Comment

no says in manual 11v-13v. So im thinking it should be fine. What computer were you running it with when it started messing up.

I didnt change much, I took it inside and used the dc brick and changed some settings on the screen. Also im using a different computer(my laptop) with it. Im not sure if that did anything or not but ima put it back in my truck today and test it again in there. Not sure how the best way for me to test it in there is...?
                      With inline egg regulator:
                      1 truck off powered by cig lighter(battery charger on batt. 10amp? or 2amp? charge)
                      2 truck on powered by cig lighter
                      3 truck on powered by psu (because mine will not boot without the truck running )
                      I dont know if ill get to doing all that tomorrow. Gas prices suck.
                      I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                      Buy Sell or Trade
                      Thank you
                      Forex
                      Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Something went wrong grrrrr :mean face (post #9)
                        I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                        Buy Sell or Trade
                        Thank you
                        Forex
                        Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

don't use the egg..it sucks. Mine fried immeadiatly. If you have the M10000 nehemiah just connect it directly to the power supply of the MOBO. Mine now works fine (mostly). the egg gave me all kinds of problems.

Comment

K Kissie and I have solved the prolem. Its a heating issue. As to why the VGA only does this I dont know. Kissie has resolved his issue with a small fan. I have yet to figure out the best way for my set up to cool. Thank ya guys so much for your pm's hope this helps anyone else out there. If anyone know as to why the VGA does this please fill us in.
                            Thanks,
                            J
                            I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                            Buy Sell or Trade
                            Thank you
                            Forex
                            Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

As mentioned by jjh221, I added one tiny fan on the back of my lilliput
                              to cool down the VGA chip. My lilliput is now really stable.

Comparing with the image of the controller board shown in the DigitalWW website [image],
                              the company seems to modify the board a bit. But I don't know what really cause the problem
                              only on newer lilliput (with 10pin cable) since I have no skill to trace the circuit in detail.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X