Auto on not working in the cold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto on not working in the cold

Hello all...first post from a long time reader and lurker....
    I installed a pretty standard carputer over the summer...everything was happy until the recent cold weather spells here. See, I have a Lilliput, and like a lot of you I hacked it up and installed it in my dash with the auto on feature soldered in there (the capacitor and resistor)... My problem is the screen wont turn on if it sits overnight in the cold. When power is applied I can see a slight glow from the screen but the default green 'VGA' lettering and 'no video input' doesnt pop up. Now if i shut it off and turn it back on it will come up normally.

Any help will be appreciated.... Tim...

Can't help you with a solution for the auto on, but I noticed that my Lilliput was very blurry Monday morning after sitting all weekend in the cold garage. I didn't notice this last winter, but I just shut the screen off and let the truck warm up for a few minutes and everything was fine.
    '03 Sierra Denali

Comment

what the Fck is it with these screens..
      I seems to have a cold weather problem.
      When i turn on my pc the first 10 minutes are just noise on my screen. And after that it seems be work pretty fine.. Have to find out if it;s my screen or my vga card.
      sucks big time anyhow!!

Comment

If the screen works fine, and it's just the auto on that doesn't, it could be the temperature range for the resistor and capacitor used. They will definitely be affected by the change in temperature.

Comment

Hey KingPlaza, how cold does it get there at the moment (celcius)? Then I'll check my xenarc for the same thing...
          List of front-ends/usefull apps
          XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Originally posted by scooby-rex
            Hello all...first post from a long time reader and lurker....
            I installed a pretty standard carputer over the summer...everything was happy until the recent cold weather spells here. See, I have a Lilliput, and like a lot of you I hacked it up and installed it in my dash with the auto on feature soldered in there (the capacitor and resistor)... My problem is the screen wont turn on if it sits overnight in the cold. When power is applied I can see a slight glow from the screen but the default green 'VGA' lettering and 'no video input' doesnt pop up. Now if i shut it off and turn it back on it will come up normally.

Any help will be appreciated.... Tim...
            I think i'm having the same problem. When the puter is turned on. The screen will come on, but with a white spash and faded out edges. Then it will start to show, but before that I end up turning it off then on with the remote then the screen would be normal again. Strange Sometimes I wish I never did this mod
            My 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Install

Comment

Originally posted by knubile
              If the screen works fine, and it's just the auto on that doesn't, it could be the temperature range for the resistor and capacitor used. They will definitely be affected by the change in temperature.
              That sounds like it could be the problem. hmm
              Where is a good place to buy High Quality resistors and capacitors?

Comment

Originally posted by snmnetwork
                That sounds like it could be the problem. hmm
                Where is a good place to buy High Quality resistors and capacitors?

Or perhaps a way to get some kind of relay in there to auto power on a few seconds after it receives power?... instead of powering on the moment the 12v hits it...

Comment

Originally posted by scooby-rex
                  Or perhaps a way to get some kind of relay in there to auto power on a few seconds after it receives power?... instead of powering on the moment the 12v hits it...
                  Yes, I beleive thats what my main problem is. Because a lot of things turn on at once, which may be causing the lilli to bug out. [Amp, ir reciever, gps reciever, and lilli
                  It powers on flawless and fine from the house adapter, but the car is what gives me the problems. Before it got cold it would work fine the first time its turned on for the day, but if I shutdown then restart real qwik -like stop to get gas then restart the car, it would act up and show the symptoms. If i let it sit for an hour or 2 then start it back up it would come on fine. But now it acts up all the time.
                  It's powered by my opus in the car.

I'm new to the electronics thing, but can sloder pretty good. How can I build this sort of thing? I think it may be my amp causing the problems. I may have to put a relay on the remote wire going to the amp.? dunno?
                  I'll run some tests with my amd diconnected and get back with some info.

Comment

lilliput in the cold again

Ok, after a flawless summer the temperature dipped below 50 and my screen doesnt turn on again. Anyone over the past year figure this one out? In the cold the auto on feature doenst work on the first try. I know it has got to do something with the capacitor and resistor in there. Any of you with a similar problem got a fix for this? thanks...

Comment

3 posts. All of them in one thread, which is a year old. Oooohhh...

Anyway, I am sorry to hear you are still in trouble

Comment

hah...your right.

I cant help it if this is the only problem I've had that can't be googled or searched.

Comment

i"m also running into a temp problem with my xenarc... the touchscreen won't work until the cab is warm enough :-( damn cold weather !
                          Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                          Via EPIA MII
                          512MB RAM
                          OEM GPS (embedded)
                          nLite WinXP pro on
                          1GB Extreme III CF card
                          Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                          Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

same problem with my touchscreen and a lilliput.

Comment

mine works fine ive got the code auto on tho but the screen works fine so i duno :-P

Comment

Working...
                              X