This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ: Everything you need to know about your Xenarc

This will be for the Xenarc/Gain screens.
    You veterans post up.

This thread is not for questions.

Quit Posting in this %$@# Thread unless it's info
    about Xenarc/Gain screens ! I've already deleted
    several questions, comments, etc. Nobody cares
    how glad you are this thread is here, etc.

[H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

How to: -Keep USB touchscreen on after you turn it off

DISCLAIMER: - I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBLILTY FOR INJURY LOSS USING ANY INFORMATION SEEN BELOW.

It seems the Xenarc touchscreen isnt self powered and only comes on after the screen itself has had power given to it.

i have my screen turn off HARD when i pull my keyout, but my computer stays on until the opus turns it off softely, so the computer thinks ive pulled the touchscreen usb out. WHen it comes back on i get a Duuuuu-daaaaaa as if ive pulled it back in again (which in effect i have as i turn my screen on) and it messes up any visulisation i have running)

SO to solve this, you need to do what i have done below. Seperate the USB touchscreen from the Xenarcs 20 Pin lead.

The following assumes you know abit about electronics and have disassembled a xenarc/gain beforehand

1# Find a spare longish USB lead with a male end on it.

2# Cut and strip back the wire to expose the inner cables Positive Negative and the two signal wires.

3#Before you unplug the cable on the back on the xenarc linking the USB touchscreen board to the xenarc 20pin connector you may want to check the continuity of which connect is which and where it goes at the end of the USB plug. Note, you will not get a electricity flow through the V+ pin on the USB controller and the USB plug as that is in effect 'blocked' until you turn the screen on (which is why i am doing this)

4# Unplug the cable that links the xenarcs 20pin board to the USB controller board. Notice there are 5 PINS on the controller board but only 4 on the plug that plugs into it. WHen you plug the connector back it ensure it is biased more towards one side than the other. (see pic at the bottom)

5# Either cut the original cable linking the USB touch board with the Xenarc's 20pin board or find the same connector from elsewhere (like i did) and solder it up based on your findings in #3

6# notice the colours of the USB leads and the little connector. These colours and positions were correct for my situation but i cannot garentee they will be the same for you. They should be if all colours are followed in USB leads but i suggest you check and double check it with a continuity tester (multimeter) first

7# Individually insulate them up then insualte the whole lot to ensure a good strong join in the cable (fragile connectiond under there)

8# triple check all connections and connect to USB controller. Notice how it is more towards one side of the connector than the other, leaving one pin not used it the recieving connector block.

9# Fire it up (not literally we hope) and test with fingers crossed

10# Admire your work

I hope some of you will find this useful

good luck

Jamie

Comment

Quick Start Manual

Here's a quick start manual for the 700TSV
      Thanks to PatO

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
      CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
      Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

If installing the Xenarc after a Lilliput (or any monitor) change the refresh rate (in the control panel) to 60Herts FIRST.
        It was an *itch to do this after installing the Xenarc.
        AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
        "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

Xenarc 8" Dimensions

Here are the dimensions of the Xenarc 8"
          Props to Red GTI VR6
          Attached Files

Final Touches

CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
          Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Xenarc 8" Dimensions

more:
            Attached Files

Final Touches

Comment

7" Board (Internal) pic

This is for the 7" Xenarc
              Thanks to Homebrew
              The dimensions are :
              LCD: 108mm X 171mm
              PCB: 120mm X 118mm
              (notice that the PCB is taller but narrower than the screen)
              (the buttons are soldered on the same PCB)
              Attached Files

Final Touches

Comment

When taking apart your xenarc, be very careful if you remove the touchscreen controller. On one side there is a plug for a flat 4 pin plug for the touchscreen overlay itself, if you plug this in upside down, the touchscreen will work, but the orientation will be reversed. On the opposite side is a 5 pin plug that takes a 4 pin cable. This is can be a problem, make sure you plug the 4 pin cable into the touchscreen controller so the yellow wire is on the pin at the edge of the controller. The fifth pin is not used. Plugging this cable in wrong may damage the touchscreen controller.
                StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

When installing the touchscreen drivers, make sure you run the setup.exe, don't try to install the drivers directly from the CD, the touchscreen will be detected, but it will not work.
                  The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

If you do break stuff after taking your screen, xenarc is pretty good about selling you parts. You can get them by contacting someone in the sales department at xenarc. These prices may not be accurate at the time you read this.
                    TouchScreen overlay: $50
                    TouchScreen Controller: $50
                    Backlight Inverter: $50

Comment

The length of the internal cables in the xenarc is 6". This inclues the display ribbon cable and the multicolored backlight and touchscreen contoller cables.

Comment

(Quoted from another post)
                        The external Dimensions of the shroud are 8 3/8 X 5 1/2 X 1 3/8 (1/4 Inch bevel)
                        The shroud is molded to the shape of the 700 Series Xenarc Monitors and the monitor is simply pressed in place. As for the quality it's not bad. It'a standard plastic molded frame. I've seen better but it does the job very well. It also looks much better once installed. I've seen some people install them in a headrest and cover the shroud with the headrest material. This way you don't even see the shroud
                        2002 Honda CR-V
                        Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
                        Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
                        ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

If you remove the ribbon cable make sure not to remove the brown clip fastener. I accidentally knocked the clip out and it broke making it impossible to reinsert the ribbon cable. To properly remove the ribbon take your fingernail and wedge it behind the clip and lightly work it out
                          2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Powerstrip settings for running your Xenarc in native 800*480 resolution & manufacturer's FAQ:
                            http://www.xenarc.com/faq.html#QA1

Q: How do I run native resolution on an intel chipset if I do not have Powerstrip or Powerstrip fails to work?
                            A: You will need to use the intel embedded graphics drivers and program them for your LCD/motherboard combo.

Giulano's IEGD build for boards using the VGA port
                            852GM
                            852GME
                            845GV
                            855GME
                            915GM
                            915GV
                            945G
                            945GM

Giulano's IEGD build for boards with an LVDS port
                            855GME
                            915GM
                            945GM

This method will also work, for 855GME/865 boards using the IEGD 4.1 software.

You may need an earlier version of the IEGD software if you have an older board.

Q: How do I power my Xenarc using the molex plug on my power supply? (safer, regulated power)
                            A: Chop off the power connector of the included cigarette lighter adapter. The inner set of wires is your positive and the surrounding layer of wires is your negative/ground. Twist these into separate positive/negative strands.

Connect the positive strand to the yellow wire on a male molex connector. Connect the negative strand to either black wire on the male molex connector. Plug it in to one of the female molex connectors on your power supply and you should be good to go!

If you do not want to destroy the Xenarc's cigarette lighter adapter, you can also substitute any other power adapter that uses the same style plug. The wiring will most likely be a little different, but you still have a 50/50 chance of guessing the right polarity.
                            Attached Files
                            Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

Comment

You can leave the internal speaker disconnected and the Xenarc will function normally.
                              Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                              Via EPIA MII
                              512MB RAM
                              OEM GPS (embedded)
                              nLite WinXP pro on
                              1GB Extreme III CF card
                              Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                              Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Working...
                              X