Comprehensive list of Lilliput Faults

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comprehensive list of Lilliput Faults

Well I am at the stage of buying 7 inch VGA touch but the Xenarc in Australia is AU$850(locally) and the Lilliput is AU$370 landed. Needless to say I am looking toward the Lilliput.

What I want to know is a complete list of all of the problems that Lilliputs have in the one thread so I can decide if it is worth taking the risk. I have searched and read heaps but don't know if I have missed anything as the problems appear all over the forum. And yes I have read "everthing you need to know......"

I am an Electroinc Engineer and have been a Technician so I have no problem fixing stuff if it is fixable by me.

So please post:
    1) the known problem, and
    2) does it have a known fix (link to threads is fine)

I'll start the list off with:
    1) right side of touchscreen crap. Fix = ????

well, from my experience:

1) touchscreen is crap. went out within days of purchase. very common, and no fixes except to replace with a better quality unit. Digitalww has them.

2) Jurassic park or similar image when cannot sync. Not much of a problem anymore, but frustrating knowing that you bought a USED pachinko machine LCD as a NEW monitor.

3) Connector (din plug) is CRAP and is now upgraded. Chances are you will get a new version, but if not, it needs to be cut off and thrown in the nearest river. Causes all kinds of problems with the color.

4) Power supply "Egg" known to cause problems, not reliable, poor design. Most people just power it from their power supply or a dc regulator circuit.

5)IF you disassemble the unit, the ribbons do not fit correctly. They are 1 full pin short of being correct, so if you center them, it wont work. If you position to one side, it wont work. Then, you try the other side and its fine. Very frustrating until you figure out what goes where. easy fix, write it down! I think Digitalww has the correct ones as well.

Why not look at buying a GOOD monitor from here? I am sure he can work out shipping. There are quite a few people happy with their Lilliputs...but very few unhappy with their Xenarc!

Minus the shipping, its about $495 AUD ($379 usd)
    MP3Car store linkie
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

on the other side, i own 2 and they have worked flawless form day one.
      time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

Same here I've owned my Lilliput for over a year now.. been through the 1 good winter and no issues minus stupid ones that I create or the above mentioned Ribbon/DIN connector issues... But once its installed none of them cause problems, it was only when I kept (dis)assembling the LCD to make my dash piece.

I would purchase another for future projects (although I would consider upgrading to the 8" since i might have the room for it)
        2002 DSM RSX-S
        Custom Car PC Re-design Pending Completion of fiberglassing dash and trunk
        Pics

Comment

I too haven't had any problems with my lilliput. It's been taken apart and molded into my dash. A word of advice though: Only disconnect the minimum amount of cables to accomplish what is needed. I had a problem with the ribbon cable that connects to the buttons/ir board. It has to be seatead just right ( mine is just left of center ).
          MyMedia Website

Comment

I haven't had ANY problems with my Lilliput. Gospeed.racer's post seems a bit alarmist. My touchscreen works great, too.
            Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
            http://hallert.net/

Comment

yea it is..

Omar yea that was the ribbon that gave me the most fuss.... Me being stupid just disassembled the whole thing for fun (i Like to se how its built) and then dealing w/ the ribbons after i fiberglassed it in, just annoying remembering wether it was just left or just right of center...

<--just right of center (for future reference in case I need to come back searching for it..lol)

oh yea and mine is one of the "new" with the jurrasic park image that shows up when its outta sync..

but no issues to date. <--i just kinda like that for some reason
              2002 DSM RSX-S
              Custom Car PC Re-design Pending Completion of fiberglassing dash and trunk
              Pics

Comment

I too have had absolutely no problems with my Lilliput.
                (although mines a Starvision)

Comment

No problem for the pass couple month (8 or 9) both in car and in house use. The egg is still fresh not rotten yet
                  99.5% perfect no Jurasic park or nake girl or any ghost images.
                  The DIN connector is the one that doesn't make this screen 100%. It is loose and cheaply make. I have to make sure it tight one in a while.
                  2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                  89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                  RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                  EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I have had mine for over 6 months and never had a problem with it.
                    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Had my lilliput installed for a few months and I have just had to order a new touch screen. Wouldn't work down the right hand side then later stopped working at all for no reason.

I then took the unit apart a few times to see if I could try and fix it and the ribbon cable snaps in half between the circuit board and screen.

May work out cheaper in the long run to go for a Xenarc if they are more reliable.

Comment

I too have not had problems but lets keep this thread like it says:

only a list of lilliput faults
                        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Well I am at the stage of buying 7 inch VGA touch but the Xenarc in Australia is AU$850(locally) and the Lilliput is AU$370 landed. Needless to say I am looking toward the Lilliput.
                          I know how u feel im in australia to

I did find a local shop in melb that has the xenarc for $720

$740 on ebay he sells them to anywere in aus.

But i finally got a way to send money to digitalww so im paying $700 for a 7" Xenarc with the Panadsonic LCD and the in dash housing

thats with shipping and everything (altho i'll have to see what customs does)

I think its worth the money and locally is better if u get problems but u gotta think is the LCD gonna be used enough to warrent that amount of cash?
                          CarPC Status:
                          GPS: 99%
                          Hardware: 99%
                          Software: 92%
                          Case Install: 99.9%
                          Dash Install: 100%
                          Car Install: 72%

Comment

G'day NiN^_^NiN, When you receive it can you either post or PM me telling me what happened with customs fees etc. That's one of the unknowns for me.

Also, how much did you pay for shipping?

Comment

500USD for the Xenarc and indash casing built together
                              500USD = 653AUD
                              40.20 USD For shipping to aus
                              40.20USD = 52.50AUS

But the problem is he doesnt have the casing in stock so im still waiting to send my payment

I was hoping that I would get it by the end of December but i dont think i will now

If u got hit with customs fees it prob be $840 AUD all up but thats still cheaper as u got the and screen and the slide out dash case
                              CarPC Status:
                              GPS: 99%
                              Hardware: 99%
                              Software: 92%
                              Case Install: 99.9%
                              Dash Install: 100%
                              Car Install: 72%

Comment

Working...
                              X