Which screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which screen?

Seems like the popular 7" touchscreens are the Lilliput, TFT and Xenarc. I have read all of the problems with the lilliput and it's the cheapest screen but yet you take a chance of having more problems. For $100 more a xenarc can be purchased that has some reported problems but nothing like the lilliput. I haven't seen much about the TFT's.

So, can you all post about your recommendations and any other input?

(FLAME DISCLAIMER: Search didn't really turn up much besides, so if you have a link to a thread like this link me please)

Originally posted by vpogv
    Seems like the popular 7" touchscreens are the Lilliput, TFT and Xenarc. I have read all of the problems with the lilliput and it's the cheapest screen but yet you take a chance of having more problems. For $100 more a xenarc can be purchased that has some reported problems but nothing like the lilliput. I haven't seen much about the TFT's.

So, can you all post about your recommendations and any other input?

(FLAME DISCLAIMER: Search didn't really turn up much besides, so if you have a link to a thread like this link me please)
    TFT isn't a brand of screen. It stands for Thin Film Transistor, a type of LCD screen. Both the Xenarc & Liliput screens are TFT LCDs.
    For this grievous error, you get flamed.
    Friggin' n00b.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Well you learn something new everyday. The reason I have said TFT as a screen option was I have seen screens that say TFT but didn't notice another name on them and they didn't seem like Xenarc screens. Thank you for clearing that up.

Comment

A lot of people seem to be havig problems getting the Lilliput to display at the correct resolution, leading to all kinds of dodgy visuals. For that reason alone I'm going with the Xenarc, but it depends how often you are planning on using the screen, and if you think the extra cash is worth it.

Plus words that start with X are cool (unless it's Sony)
        Leo

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk

A million people can't be wrong, right?

Well... unless they're all from the red states...

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
          For this grievous error, you get flamed.
          Friggin' n00b.

I had the Lilli, now I have the Xenarc. Like switching from a 84 Plymouth Sundance to a new Lexus.

Get the Xenarc!
          AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
          "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

Well you learn something new everyday. The reason I have said TFT as a screen option was I have seen screens that say TFT but didn't notice another name on them and they didn't seem like Xenarc screens. Thank you for clearing that up.

That screen is the Dynamix/Starvision 7" monitor.

My question is:

The Xenarc screen is entirely out of my price range as I am scrounging for the $200 range. Between a (basically) unreviewed monitor and the infamous Lilliput, what is the better option? Are the lilli's as bad as everyone makes them out to be?

Comment

Originally posted by deftones8769
              Are the lilli's as bad as everyone makes them out to be?
              No. Just don't take it apart
              [H]4 Life
              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Between a (basically) unreviewed monitor and the infamous Lilliput, what is the better option?
                As cash isn't in great supply for you at the moment, I'd say it's better to go with the safe and steady option of the Lilliput than gamble on an unknown. The unknown may be better than the Lilliput yes, but it also may be worse. And if you can't really afford to take that chance and find out, do what I do and let someone else find out instead
                Leo

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk

A million people can't be wrong, right?

Well... unless they're all from the red states...

Comment

Originally posted by muldrick
                  I had the Lilli, now I have the Xenarc. Like switching from a 84 Plymouth Sundance to a new Lexus.

Get the Xenarc!
                  Is the image quality the same or better on the xenarc? How about sun light?

Comment

Do you mean cartft on the logo?
                    its a rebadge lilliput
                    Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
                    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Yes, if you buy one retail and the other via eBay. I was going to purchase my Lilli (if I end up using that) via the forums here for $225-250. 280 to 318 isnt a huge jump but 225 to 318 is. I'll have to weigh my choices. As for the other monitor being worse, I could swear someone reviewed it on here and said it was better than the lilli and very close to the Xenarc. They reviewed the one from linitx.com i think

EDIT: When taking apart the lilli, where exactly does it go wrong for most people? I need to do some fabricating with the frame and Im sure as hell not going to fabricate this thing with the monitor inside the case, so Im curious as to what people seem to screw up oh so often when they open these monitors that they DONT screw up when others open their Xenarc's.

Comment

Yes, if you buy one retail and the other via eBay. I was going to purchase my Lilli (if I end up using that) via the forums here for $225-250.
                        True, but now you are comparing new with warranty (Xenarc) to used and (probably) no warranty since you are not the original purchaser. Your choice, like I said it was just my 2 cents.

OT, but deftones rule!! My ebay user ID is "deftones28".
                        Spent so far: $1,755
                        Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                        CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                        Don't mess with Texas.
                        It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Is the image quality the same or better on the xenarc? How about sun light?
                          IMO? Image quality is much better and clearer on the Xenarc and slightly better in sun light. If the sun is directly on the screen you won't see anything on either the Xenarc or the Lilli.

When opening up the Lilli they screw up the ribbon cable I think, I haven't opened either monitor myself. You can get new ribbon cables, search around the threads on this.
                          Just save a little more money and get the Xenarc for only 93 more dollars, better, nicer and you won't have to worry about that ribbon.
                          AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
                          "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

Originally posted by edrex
                            True, but now you are comparing new with warranty (Xenarc) to used and (probably) no warranty since you are not the original purchaser. Your choice, like I said it was just my 2 cents.

OT, but deftones rule!! My ebay user ID is "deftones28".
                            Very true, the warranty is something that I didn't think of. The warrany is voided when you open it up though, right?

LOL screen name twins!!!!! haha wow i need a life

Comment

IMO - I know the money is an issue....BUT....if you are going to spend the money wouldn't you rather spend it on something that you know works better? even if it costs a little more....that's all the insurance I need...

just my $.02 worth
                              Jan Bennett
                              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                              X