Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lilliput can't survive a bump anymore!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilliput can't survive a bump anymore!!!

I have a 7" Touchscreen Lilliput mounted on a hinge in front of my AC controls. All of a sudden, every time I hit the slightest bump in the road (which is often since my Land Rover is not the smoothest ride), the Lilliput flickers and starts ghosting with black and white. Hitting the power button has no effect, you have to actually wait until the ghosting stops and then you can power off then power back on. I drove from TN to FL yesterday (~10 hours), and honestly I had view of the screen for a total of about 10 minutes. So needless to say, I about chucked it out the window.

Has anyone had a similar experience to this?

Lilliput 7" Touchscreen Fabricated In Dash: 25% Complete
    Click here to see my progress.

mini DIN connector ground loose? not sure why a bump would make that much difference to a felxable bit of wire but worth a look, also maybe vga ribbon cable isn't seated correctly, you ever had it apart?
    MII10000; 512MB RAM; 7" Lilliput Touchscreen; 400watt Muttant AMP; Wireless pc start (keyfob); WiFi; GPS with D3 NM Front End; MediaCar; 40gig 3.5" HD; In-Dash mounted tft;

Comment

Tried the DIN connector

It's definitely not the DIN connector..

I've never had it apart. It's like super sensitive right now, I mean it will sometimes do the ghosting/reboot thing even when I try to touch an icon with decent force on the touchscreen.

Comment

I really don't know then - I've got my lilli in bits at the moment the TS has gone, i did notice that if the ribbon cable to the control board (on/off button etc) was not seated properly it gave strange results...
        MII10000; 512MB RAM; 7" Lilliput Touchscreen; 400watt Muttant AMP; Wireless pc start (keyfob); WiFi; GPS with D3 NM Front End; MediaCar; 40gig 3.5" HD; In-Dash mounted tft;

Comment

I would suspect you have something that if not properly soldered anymore and gets grounded on a sporadic base... but I am no liliput owner, so I cannot say.

does anyone else have this - I am gettig nervous about getting a lilliput and start to think the xenarc's extra buck would be worthed.
          -Mars

Comment

I had the exact same problem with mine... it's the ribbon cable going to the board (not the screen). Powered up and half-open, if you press to "sit" the cable flush the screen looks perfect. The slightest movement (such as when closing the screen) or pressure on the TS would create ghosting, weird colors, etc.

Easily fixed by securing the ribbon cable to the board at the clip with a couple of pieces of electrical tape. It's probably overkill, but the little BS clip that holds the ribbon in place seems kinda finicky to me, so I made sure the cable wasn't gonna move..

Works like a charm since I did it. And there's still enough slack on the whole thing should I ever need to move the screen around (to get to the screws or something).

Comment

Thanks a million- I'll try checking this out when I get home, and I'll re-post to let you know how it pans out.

Comment

Crap

So I took it apart, taped the connector down, and still no luck. I filmed a movie real quick to show you all what happens:

I tap it just to show the light effects of what happens with a bump:

VIDEO LINK - BAD LILLIPUT

Any other ideas??? I am running out of my own here...

Comment

oh wow thats crazy, ya need an exorcist.
                  I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                  Buy Sell or Trade
                  If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                  Thank you
                  Forex
                  Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rover_Eli
                    So I took it apart, taped the connector down, and still no luck. I filmed a movie real quick to show you all what happens:

I tap it just to show the light effects of what happens with a bump:

VIDEO LINK - BAD LILLIPUT

Any other ideas??? I am running out of my own here...
                    I saw the video and this is exactly, EXACTLY what was happening to mine -- just over the weekend. I had taken it apart to try and see how I was gonna fit it in the dash (still working on that ) and something obviously went wrong...

Now I don't know why yours is doing that if you never took it apart (did you buy it used?) but my guess is that if you take both ribbon connectors off and re-align them, and make sure they're seating properly, it will fix the issue. Mine was doing that exact same thing, and when I opened it partially (yes, with power and signal, I'm hardcore like that ) and fiddled with the connectors I found that touching the cable to the board would fix it... as soon as I lifted my finger it went back to the craziness.

Now your mileage will obviously vary, and if you bork yours even more you're on your own, of course... I'm just telling you what fixed it -- for me.

Comment

Well I put it back in the car after taking it apart and wiggling and jiggling cables, and it's not happening any more. Who frickin knows.

Thanks much for your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover_Eli
                        Well I put it back in the car after taking it apart and wiggling and jiggling cables, and it's not happening any more. Who frickin knows.

Thanks much for your help guys.
                        As long as it's working...

Comment

I know its been a while but Eli, where did you mount the computer? I was thinking underneath the passanger seat, where the cd changer goes and using the m-bus to rca with rca to 3.5 jack to get sound by using the aux from the cd changer.

Comment

I mounted under the rear driver's side...I actually initially had it under the passenger seat and yanked the CD changer, but I couldn't reach the DVD player. Where it is now I can reach behind me and pop disks in without looking off the road.

Plus my Disco already had an aftermarket stereo in it when I bought it, and it was a piece of crap with no inputs so the changer was useless anyway. I had to get a new clarion HU, and just went normal AUX in, and sold the changer on Ebay for a ridiculous amount of money ($300)...the factory changers are really hot I guess.

Comment

Oh man...this looks like Lilliput has implemented new version of "Jurassic park logo screensaver" into their product, only without the logo this time. Many of us were seeing this screensaver right afrter "no signal" message on screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X