Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add on fan to Lilliput -- Power ?? where ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add on fan to Lilliput -- Power ?? where ??

Well, I added a fan to the back of my Lilliput..

Does anyone know a good spot to draw power from ( 12v ) ??

I was going to just solder it to the power connector, but then it would run whenever there is power to it. I would prefer to have it run only when it's turned on.

Anyway here's some pics
    Attached Files

and another
    Attached Files

Comment

here's the style board that I have
      Attached Files

Comment

well, I did solder the leads onto the board where the power comes in. At first I thought that I fried it, so I undid it, then it still wouldn't turn on.....

Turns out that the ribbon cables weren't " Just Right "... so I finally got it to work again...... and MAN IS IT COOL.. Literally....

I have 2 other lilliputs that I will do this to. I just wish that I had done it before the Touchscreens got out of whack.

Also, I have the fan blowing out so that it draws air into the thin slots around the outer side of the case....

I would recomend this to everyone !!!!! total cost $10 for small 12v fan.

(hint) make sure circuit board has clearance before hot glue dries

Comment

hmm, i think it would work better if the fan would blow inside no?
          Carputer HIFI car stereo project!
          [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]
          95% COMPLETE! FINALIZING SOFTWARE PLATFORM!

[XXXXXX--------------]
          30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

Why do these screens need extra cooling?

I think the fan would be better blowing in.

Comment

That resistor on the top left is 12V on the bottom when it's on and when it's in standby. Everything seems to be on when it's in standby. Oh, not the one next to the big inverter coil (I think that's the high voltage side) but just below it right on the edge. Don't know if it can handle the power though and I guess I'm a little late.

Comment

I have to agree with Don on the air being pulled through. It'd be quieter and probably more effective this way. Anything that'll extend the life of the screen is worth a try, especially something this easy.
                Current Cfg: AMD 2200+, Epox Mobo, 7" Lilliput TS, 320MB RAM, 40GB 2.5" HD, 200GB SATA, Slim Combo, ATI Radeon, SMC B/G Wireless w/ 5dB antenna, Bluetooth.
                S/W: RoadRunner/MapMonkey/NetStumbler. Still working on a box and PSU!

Comment

Originally posted by miztahsparklez
                  hmm, i think it would work better if the fan would blow inside no?
                  No. Fans actually heat up the air as it passes through the blades. You always want the fan to suck so that the hot air from the blades is exhausted. The only reason you would want a fan to blow on something if it was wet. Evaporation comsumes a lot of energy, thus cooling whatever is wet. This is why you sweat and you feel cool when a fan blows on you. However, electrical components don't sweat.
                  BTW, I was actually gonna do this to my Lilly too. Thanks for the pics Don!
                  Aopen i855GMEm-LFS with Dothan 1.8ghz
                  512mb DDR333
                  Windows XPpro SP2

Comment

I put a cooling fan, a small one, under the screen to suck out the hot air from the empty space behind the screen. It doesn't suck the heat directly off the circuit board in the lilliput, but it does pull the hot air out from the cavity behind the screen something fierce. I was suprised how much air this little fan could move.

There's no way this design is as effective as the bigger fan right on the circuit board, but if for some reason you don't want to do that, this gets the job done better than nothing.
                    Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

Comment

I was thinking of adding a fan in the same place as Don an then hooking the fan to the speaker output. My fan is a 12V 0.06A fan so it draws less power than the 32ohm, 1W speaker that I took out. I want to do this because I can then use the volume buttons in the front to lower/raise the fan speed. As you technicals might guess, I need to hook up a signal to the audio input. My question is, how high of a signal? 1V, 3V, 5V, 12V?? My theory is to solder up a wire from the audio input to the power input, that way the fan will come on whenever the lcd is powered.
                      512mb DDR333
                      Windows XPpro SP2

Comment

Here is a link to the IC amplifier on the board: http://www.semiconductors.philips.co...7052AT/N2.html
                        512mb DDR333
                        Windows XPpro SP2

Comment

DOH! Scrap that idea, the volume buttons only work in video1/2, not vga.
                          512mb DDR333
                          Windows XPpro SP2

Comment

Originally posted by ddogg_777
                            DOH! Scrap that idea, the volume buttons only work in video1/2, not vga.
                            Now that audio can be enabled in VGA-mode through the hidden factory settings menu, I will look into the idea of turning the volume buttons into a fan speed controller. It depends on whether the signal on pin 4 of the TDA7052 ("DC volume control") can deliver enough current to power a 40mm fan directly. I'd suggest adding a darlington as a buffer anyway.
                            CarPC status: HW all done, SW needs tweaked.
                            Hardware: VIA MII-12K, 512MB, 60GB 2.5", CW-8123 DVD-CDRW, 7" Lilli ts, Opus 90W, BU-353 GPS, 802.11b PCI, USB bluetooth dongle, AverMedia AverTV Cardbus Plus, Morex Cubid 3677
                            Software: RR, MM/FD

Comment

Originally posted by mox
                              Now that audio can be enabled in VGA-mode through the hidden factory settings menu
                              HOW? please do tell, as I've been wanting to find out for AGES.

Thanks in advance,

Baggers.

Comment

Working...
                              X