Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regulated or unregulated 12V for my display?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulated or unregulated 12V for my display?

How many of you are running your displays with unregulated 12V? I'm guessing most screens work just fine unregulated, but... that's just a guess...

-momanz
    Carputer installed!!!
    Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

i can't speak for all displays but i know many of them are designed to opperate off your car's normal 12v range. I have successfully ran a Xenarc off my car's unregulated 12V

That being said some have had noise issues where there is sone alternator related noise in the image. Using a regulator or just running the display off the 12v rail from your pc power supply will filter it out.

Comment

Well if you take the 12 volt car charger type plugin apart you'll notice that aside a resistor for the led light, there is nothing else inside to regulate the power.
      Thus, the regulator is built into the display. I am going to run my power through a filter just to clean it up a little but I am not regulating it.

Comment

mpfjr, That isn't true for all displays. If you input unregulated 12V into a display that doesn't have a built in regulator you are feeding it about 14.5V with the engine running. That's a good way to kill a backlight or any other sensitive electronics in a hurry.
        Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

Hmmm. The box spec on my display claims an operating range of 11-24 volts... so I'm guessing I'm ok. I'll be ready to do my initial testing this weekend so we'll see how it works out. BTW I have a starvision sp-7vga. Not the best display I've read about, but it was cheap and yes a bit of an impulse buy too.

-momanz
          Carputer installed!!!
          Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

i have a lilliput 8 inch that when i wire str8 to the 12v with or without egg it flickers. i tried using the ac adapter and it works fine. but my problem is now i have to use a small inverter to plug the ac adaptor into. i dont want to do that. any suggestions? im looking for a regulator i seen the carnetix. but isnt that too much unnecessary power for just 1 screen? and input would be great!!
            i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

you could try one of these

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-030

or is that what you meant by "egg"

Comment

Eskalad, why don't you power your screen from a molex 12v ?
                Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Xenarcs are marked 11-24V. I've been running mine unregulated.
                  95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
                  ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

delta how would i go about doing that? wiring from the molex? which wires? can u draw me out a diagram?

Comment

station rocket. isnt that a noise filter? would that work??? i can pick one up from pepboys tomorrow if it will.

Comment

The standard pc molex is :
                        1 red wire : +5 v
                        2 black wires : GND
                        1 yellow : +12v

You need to connect your screen to yellow and black, making sure the + is connected to Yellow, and - to black.
                        Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
                          station rocket. isnt that a noise filter? would that work??? i can pick one up from pepboys tomorrow if it will.

It is a noise filter but i can't say for sure that it will work as i can't say for sure what the nature of your noise problem is. It is pretty likley to work however as the noise is probably comming from the alternator and that's the kind of noise an automotive power filter is designed to remove.

Comment

lol im not having a noise problem! im having regulated 12v problem for my screen. i think i will hook it up str8 to the molex like delta said. thanks delta!

Comment

sorry i took "flickers" to mean there was noise in the image.

Comment

Working...
                              X