This looks to be a great price.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This looks to be a great price.

What's the catch? It's only 250nits which might be a problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7953174540
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

It's also not really XGA. It accepts a XGA signal, but it's actually SVGA. Still, very reasonably priced.

Comment

Very nice, contemplating buying one.
      2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
        It's also not really XGA. It accepts a XGA signal, but it's actually SVGA. Still, very reasonably priced.
        True - but how many 8" lcd's have you seen that natively support 1024x768? At least it's not the troublesome 800x480 resolution lots of these smaller lcds do.

I'm very tempted - but it means I'd have to go down the fabrication route and probably lose my cigarette lighter and rubbish pullout thing.

How much do after market 8" touchscreens and controllers cost?

Comment

Who and What the hell is "HAMI"

Comment

Originally posted by Arathranar
            True - but how many 8" lcd's have you seen that natively support 1024x768? At least it's not the troublesome 800x480 resolution lots of these smaller lcds do.
            Oh, none - I'm not saying that it's a bad resolution, just that the listing is rather... misleading. Just making sure you realized it

Originally posted by Arathranar
            How much do after market 8" touchscreens and controllers cost?
            EarthLCD's 8.4" costs $190... Looks like you can kit one out at Apollo Display for about $70, but they won't sell you anything unless you convince them you're a bonafide company.

Comment

Hmm, maybe I should go with EarthLCD instead - ebay scares for me for anything over $20 And EarthLCD might have brighter models - 250 nits is better than laptops but still not great for car use. Mind you, EarthLCD's 500 nit model is $800 and only 640x480.

I don't see any 8" lcds or prices on apollodisplays.com. Where should I be looking?

Comment

http://www.apollodisplays.com/optrextft.htm. (you're going to lose the frames since that's a direct link; you can navigate to it via kits->optrex graphic->active TFT).

Looks like their "sunlight readable" 8.4", fully kitted out with inverter and controller, is ~$550. I say "sunlight readable" because while it's supposed to have special films and whatnot, it's only 400 nits, nor transflective.

If you want true sunlight readability, you're going to want 800+ nits (preferably 1000+), or reflective / transflective. But you probably already knew that.

Comment

I have an 800x600 transflective lcd bare panel (and nothing else) but it's an STN lcd instead of TFT so I'm concerned I could spend lots of time and money tracking down a controller and it'll be bright and readable as long as nothing moves on it...

Comment

http://www.apollodisplays.com/optrextft.htm. (you're going to lose the frames since that's a direct link; you can navigate to it via kits->optrex graphic->active TFT).

Looks like their "sunlight readable" 8.4", fully kitted out with inverter and controller, is ~$550. I say "sunlight readable" because while it's supposed to have special films and whatnot, it's only 400 nits, nor transflective.

If you want true sunlight readability, you're going to want 800+ nits (preferably 1000+), or reflective / transflective. But you probably already knew that.
                    Ah, their 'sunlight readable' is only 640x480 - I definitely want at least 800x600 and preferably 1024x768 but I don't think I'm going to find that although one of their non-sunlight readable displays 8.4" lcds is 300 nits and 1024x768. But also $380.

Comment

Looks like you can kit one out at Apollo Display for about $70, but they won't sell you anything unless you convince them you're a bonafide company.
                      Just clicked the link and turns out that companys Head Office is in my town.
                      I'll have to go check it out and see if maybe i can cut a deal as far as getting a company rate.
                      .______
                      | '_ |__\___
                      [(o)|___(o)] XB
                      ._________
                      | I__I I_I|_\__I
                      [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

You mentioned spending $800 on the EarthLCD; if you're willing to part with that kind of money, check out these guys: http://www.fpdgroup.com/index.php. They retrofit transmissive panels to transflective. I've never seen anything like it elsewhere, but they seemed legitimate, so I tried them out, and the results are pretty damn impressive. They say the effectiveness varies, and NEC panels are best suited for it (I got a 6.5" NEC). Their price for a sample 8.4" conversion is $286.

Comment

No I'm not prepared to spend that much. I was pointing out the cost as a blocking factor. I've heard transflective screens don't look so great (washed out) even if they *are* bright.

Comment

Is it just me or does earth lcd not sell any small screens that do more than 640x480?

Comment

its 250 nits without a touchscreen? imagine how dim it will be if you decided to add a touchscreen for 100 bucks with the controller from digitalww. it will be too dark. your better off paying the extra money and getting the lilliput. im happy with mine!
                              i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Working...
                              X