Unhappy with Lilliput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy with Lilliput

I know this has been discussed many times before, but my lilliput is just not viewable at all in the day. I have the newer version of the lilli which doesnt seem to have the touchscreen problems... but it's sooo dark. I was wondering if anyone has the new Xenarc which claims to have:
    Upgraded High-Brightness CCFL *New*
    Anti Glare Coating *New*
    "E" Mark Certified for Automotive use *New*
    Is this stuff really *new* or has it always claimed to have these features?
    I was serioulsy thinking of getting Xenarc if it is really that much better.
    If I do decide to get a Xenarc, would anyone here like a brand new slightly used lilli ?
    1978 Olds Cutlass Wagon install

I have the new Xenarc and I'm impressed. It's quirte readable in anything other than direct sunlight, and you can still make it out even then.

Comment

It's going to be hard to read any monitor in direct sunlight. The Xenarc is marginally more readable in brighter environments. Brighter monitors (over 400 nits) are on the horizon, stay tuned….

Comment

Trouble is, they are too bright when the sun is not directly at them, making them any brighter will make it even worse. what they need is light sensors that allow them to adjust the brightness to what is coming in.

just my 2p worth

Comment

Thanks for the replies... I guess I will just wait and see what comes out. I wish some company would make a vga touch screen like the one on the nintendo ds... that thing is viewable in any light . Hey "zip-lock" I noticed you are form Maryland... I am from there, I'm in South Carolina right now, I moved down about 3 years ago and I can't stand it

Comment

just a thought and this might seem obvious, have you adjusted the screens display settings for contrast and brightness ?

I left all at default and was disappointed but after a bit of fiddling it made a huge difference !!!!
            Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

well duh! how can you be dissapointed when there are like a bagillion posts out there talking about how crappy they are? lol

heheheh
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I know I know

But to be 100% honest I am very very happy with my little lilli !

it is in a "in dash" mount, the touchscreen is happy, the in car temps we have in SA are sometimes ridiculous I would have thought this would of flaked out the TS but no not yet, almost a year in the car and not a problem ! after I fixed the driver issue up !

on a serious note, adjusting the screen controls made a huge difference and so did a commitment to not wear white shirts in the car, the reflection is crazy from a white shirt on the TS !
                Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

tint your windows?

Comment

thats acutaly a good idea. i have the Tview ( a less bright one) on my car and have no truble seeing it ever. if your on the out side of the car you cant see in, so its like a 15% or something i didint install it so i dont know.
                    1990 Jeep Cherokee
                    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by SAScooby
                      so did a commitment to not wear white shirts in the car, the reflection is crazy from a white shirt on the TS !
                      Yep, and if you've got light coloured seats you're in trouble. I have black leather and most of the time wear dark tops.

Comment

the tint will vary by state though, down here in texas we can get away with a 35% tint, up north it's much less apparently
                        Jan Bennett
                        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I had Lilliput until it was stolen. I just replaced it by Xenarc (the new, bright type). Picture quality is recognizaby better. Now brightness- nothing to get excited with typical- driver's algle of viewing. It's just slightly brighter . BUT- It is very good when looking at it at 0 degrees- I am building a stand to make it face me directly (think my wife won't be very happy with it :-/
                          car computer status: ready_
                          : epiam10000 256meg, audigy2nx :-F, ground loop :-)
                          :
                          : check out my car putter here
                          : check out my FrodoPlayer skin here

Comment

in the our BMW Z4 the screen (Stock Navigation) has a special coating even with direct sunlight you can see the screen with it even gets brighter with direct sunlight. i wish somebody would make such a coating for vga screens, i don't thing it will work with touchscreens though
                            my destinator map resource down permanently

Comment

Thanks for all of your input, this makes me think twice about getting rid of the lilli. I am just wondering if my lilliput is just abnormaly dark though... I have adjusted the brightness/contrast and it gets a little better, but it is really just unusable in the daytime even if it is overcast and the sun is not out.

Comment

Working...
                              X