Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a geek to do? 10" Touch Screen HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a geek to do? 10" Touch Screen HELP!

Okay, I have obtained 2 Boston Medical touch screeens just like this

The computers are only a P133 with 64MB RAM and 6.4 Gb drives. Guess where the machines are going... You guessed it... (opens windows and throws)
    My goal:
    Take the touch screen and wire it up so that it can be hooked into VGA.
    3 connectors leave the monitor section.
    -One is a 3-wire lead for power?
    -1 has about 25 out of 40 cables all black on a 40 pin connector that goes right to the motherboard (Which apparently has support right in the bios for LCD and several modes to choose from)
    -and the last leaves the touchscreen film and after going through a 'daughterboard' breaks into a 10-wire lead to what appears to be the serial board.
    Can anyone help me pin this thing out? Is there a generic setup for LCD cabling such as this? I can give more info....
    Centrafuse 3.1
    Garmin Mobile PC
    GPS, OBDII, Lilliput 629GL, Nightvision integrated video,
    Other fun stuff in works.

There are a couple LCD standards, such as LVDS. I can't tell what yours uses, but regardless: you machine has the LCD controller integrated on the MB, and if you're going to chuck that, you're going to need a controller. This is basically the same situation as all the people asking about using laptop LCDs. The problem is, a controller, besides being a potential pain to get working properly, is just as expensive as getting an integrated LCD monitor. Sorry.

If I were you, I'd keep the machine in one piece. Maybe not for you car, but I can think of some neat projects that might use such a system.

Comment

They would make a couple of bad *** LCD touchscreen remotes for a HTPC or the like.
      7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
      ATVMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
        There are a couple LCD standards, such as LVDS. I can't tell what yours uses, but regardless: you machine has the LCD controller integrated on the MB, and if you're going to chuck that, you're going to need a controller. This is basically the same situation as all the people asking about using laptop LCDs. The problem is, a controller, besides being a potential pain to get working properly, is just as expensive as getting an integrated LCD monitor. Sorry.

If I were you, I'd keep the machine in one piece. Maybe not for you car, but I can think of some neat projects that might use such a system.

Perhaps I could just sell them or trade them for such things as a better rear view cam, a different touchscreen or other parts? Do we have a parts swap area?
        Centrafuse 3.1
        Garmin Mobile PC

Comment

We have a Classifieds, where you can propose a swap (or just put it up for sale).

Comment

If they have a NIC why not run RealVNC client on them to remote control your main PC?

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
            CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

I might be able to help you figure out what they are. You'll have to disassemble the housing and tell me what kind of LCD it is though.

The Serial connector is most likely for the touchscreen. The 3 pin power is obviously power, and the 40 pin is lcd data.

What kind of chip is driving the LCD (it's probably on that motherboard - don't chuck it!)?

PM me if you need more help.

Kind regards,
              CB
              DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

Comment

HELP! Where are all the electronics geeks!

Originally posted by GingerPrince
                If they have a NIC why not run RealVNC client on them to remote control your main PC?
                They are FAR too slow for that... However, I suppose if I cannot use the touchscreen (THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!!!) I would install windows 95 and install a recipe program and give it to my parents
                Either way... THERE HAS TO BE A STINKIN WAY! Where are all the electronics geeks!
                Centrafuse 3.1
                Garmin Mobile PC

Comment

Originally posted by mushin

How about this? Maybe there is a solution for connecting the TFT touchscreen with an external board for this purpose!
                  http://www.tridentdisplays.co.uk/sol...s/custom.shtml
                  Centrafuse 3.1
                  Garmin Mobile PC

Comment

Originally posted by Hopperhawk
                    They are FAR too slow for that... However, I suppose if I cannot use the touchscreen (THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!!!) I would install windows 95 and install a recipe program and give it to my parents
                    Either way... THERE HAS TO BE A STINKIN WAY! Where are all the electronics geeks!
                    No, no, there absolutely is a way. It's just not a very cheap way. Well, actually I have seen a cheap hack to drive an LCD without a proper controller, but it was very much a hack - something like 8 colors, locked into one resolution with a peculiar refresh rate... I don't remember where I saw it, it was a while ago, but you could probably find it if you're curious.

Comment

Working...
                    X