Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To egg or not to egg, that is the question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To egg or not to egg, that is the question.

I just got my Lilliput 8" lcd and I'm working out the best way to mount and power it.

Should I bother using the egg? I already have a 12V DC regulation circuit that I've built that has spare capacity. I could connect the lilliput to that if I buy a new power cable with the right plug. Or I could take the plunge and cut off the cigarette lighter plug and wire it to my DC regulator with the egg in place. Or I could cut it off and connect it to the unregulated power input and reduce stress on my regulator circuit but rely on the egg. This will likely then bypass the shutdown controller and it's fuse so the lilliput will be hooked live to my tank circuit at all times - anyone know what it's current drain is when off? And will it switch properly off within a reasonable amount of time once the VGA signal goes away?

I seem to recall reading about egg problems. Is it a good idea to rely on it?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

I plan on keeping the egg and wiring it to my PSU. I figure I'll have more protection that way. As for the other stuff, sorry I don't know. I believe that I read the monitor draws about 3 amps. The monitor does shut off in about 5 seconds after it looses a VGA signal. That's all I know.
    2.4 celeron
    150 watt OPUS
    micro atx
    xp pro
    tv/radio tuner card
    audigy
    Dual monitor Radeon
    802.11G Mimo
    xm pcr
    dvd
    gps
    8" Lilliput touch screen
    IGuidance
    dual optimas
    battery isolator
    15" screen
    My Truck

Comment

This newb wants to know what an "Egg" is??
      My Mazda 3s Carputer Project

(--------------------) 0% complete
      Research & Development Stage

Comment

It's the egg shaped DC-DC regulator for the lilliput cigarette lighter power cord.

Comment

Originally posted by galpd320
          This newb wants to know what an "Egg" is??
          Something which comes our of a hens ****** and tastes good!

n8scstm, why are you using both? I wouldn't bother using the egg and the PSU in case the egg blows and fries your PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by n8scstm
            I plan on keeping the egg and wiring it to my PSU. I figure I'll have more protection that way. As for the other stuff, sorry I don't know. I believe that I read the monitor draws about 3 amps. The monitor does shut off in about 5 seconds after it looses a VGA signal. That's all I know.
            may shut down, however still draws current, and can flatten battery. Trust me I've been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
              may shut down, however still draws current, and can flatten battery. Trust me I've been there.
              I use an aux battery, so it's not a concern to me. I'm sure my inverter has a higher no load draw than the monitor.
              2.4 celeron
              150 watt OPUS
              micro atx
              xp pro
              tv/radio tuner card
              audigy
              Dual monitor Radeon
              802.11G Mimo
              xm pcr
              dvd
              gps
              8" Lilliput touch screen
              IGuidance
              dual optimas
              battery isolator
              15" screen
              My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                Something which comes our of a hens ****** and tastes good!

n8scstm, why are you using both? I wouldn't bother using the egg and the PSU in case the egg blows and fries your PSU.
                Is that a valid concern? I havn't heard of that happening. But if it's true I'll cut it off. The psu should be good enough by itself, yeah? While I'm at it, does anyone else get the error where you turn on the comp. and you can see the boot up screen then when windows loads the screen goes black and says something like, "res too high," or, "out of ...," or something like that? (Can't remember the exact phrase) Then you have to turn off the screen and turn it back on again and then it works fine.
                2.4 celeron
                150 watt OPUS
                micro atx
                xp pro
                tv/radio tuner card
                audigy
                Dual monitor Radeon
                802.11G Mimo
                xm pcr
                dvd
                gps
                8" Lilliput touch screen
                IGuidance
                dual optimas
                battery isolator
                15" screen
                My Truck

Comment

It says "Out of Range" and should go away when your computer gets fully into windows. There are other threads about this and what to do to fix it.
                  7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                  ATVMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by n8scstm
                    Is that a valid concern? I havn't heard of that happening. But if it's true I'll cut it off. The psu should be good enough by itself, yeah?
                    Well i have head of eggs going pop but they were running of the cars unregulated DC. At the end of the day if you PSU's 12V output is stable enough for a CPU one would think it is ok for a lilliput. Up to you though I guess. Would have a search on how many people have fried their lilliput on a 12V PSU line and have a look at the setups of people who fried their eggs. LOL - 'fried their eggs' - that wasn't intentional!

Comment

I know that alot of people have fried their eggs but, I didnt think that it has ever hurt anything other than the egg. If I'm risking my psu and or screen, then I'll cut it off.
                      2.4 celeron
                      150 watt OPUS
                      micro atx
                      xp pro
                      tv/radio tuner card
                      audigy
                      Dual monitor Radeon
                      802.11G Mimo
                      xm pcr
                      dvd
                      gps
                      8" Lilliput touch screen
                      IGuidance
                      dual optimas
                      battery isolator
                      15" screen
                      My Truck

Comment

I think that you wouldn't want to use it just for the decreased voltage to your monitor. There has to be a small voltage drop across the egg and this would have the side effect of making your monitor the slightest bit dimmer.
                        7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                        ATVMS.com

Comment

sorry for the hijack, but did anybody else think this was about wether the poster should buy something at newegg.com or not? lol. Sounds like a good slogan for them!
                          -GiZak-
                          Carputer Project: 98% Complete!! *tweakin'*
                          Xenarc 7TSV | Opus 150 | Biostar M7NCG400 | Athlon Mobile2200 | Seagate 160Gb | Kingston 2x256mb | BT Holux GR-231 GPS | LiteOn CD-R/DVD| Keyhole Rev. Cam | Zippy Mini-glow Keyboard

Comment

I like my eggs scrambled, not fried
                            My Mazda 3s Carputer Project

(--------------------) 0% complete
                            Research & Development Stage

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
                              I think that you wouldn't want to use it just for the decreased voltage to your monitor. There has to be a small voltage drop across the egg and this would have the side effect of making your monitor the slightest bit dimmer.
                              Ah, the voltage into the lilliput affects it's brightness? Huh! Maybe running it directly off the acc line makes more sense after all

The extra voltage drops due to the (in theory) unnecessary extra regulator was one of my worries but I thought it just meant the lilliput might shut down a bit earlier than it might otherwise when running off my tank circuit battery after switching the car off. And that's not really a scenario I'm too concerned about for my usage.

Comment

Working...
                              X