Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use a touchscreen DVD h/u as an input device?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use a touchscreen DVD h/u as an input device?

Hi all,

I have a DVD headunit with a touchscreen but I am keen to install a computer for GPS and other stuff.

My computer's videocard supports TV out, but I am not sure how to use the headunit's built in touch screen to work as input device for the computer?

You can use it as a monitor but you cant use the existing touchscreen.
    Here in Portugal we have great weather, lots of brunnets, party a lot,drink a lot....
    http://img138.echo.cx/img138/896/bannerjoshua5dy.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackAWD
      I have a DVD headunit with a touchscreen but I am keen to install a computer for GPS and other stuff.

My computer's videocard supports TV out, but I am not sure how to use the headunit's built in touch screen to work as input device for the computer?
      You open up your fancy DVD headunit, voiding its warranty. You figure out how the touchscreen works, then interpret the signals it sends to the headunit and come up with an adapter to send those signals to your computer via USB or serial... Maybe PS/2.
      Then you write a driver to interpret those signals properly and include calibration and other typical touchscreen functionality (beep on press, dragging sensitivity, double-click on hold, etc.).

Are you up to the task?

Oh, and the PC's TV-out will look like **** on your DVD monitor, most likely. PCs and composite video are a bad mix, as a general rule.
      But then again, n00b, if you'd done any reading in the forums here, you'd know this already.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
        You open up your fancy DVD headunit, voiding its warranty. You figure out how the touchscreen works, then interpret the signals it sends to the headunit and come up with an adapter to send those signals to your computer via USB or serial... Maybe PS/2.
        Then you write a driver to interpret those signals properly and include calibration and other typical touchscreen functionality (beep on press, dragging sensitivity, double-click on hold, etc.).

Are you up to the task?

Oh, and the PC's TV-out will look like **** on your DVD monitor, most likely. PCs and composite video are a bad mix, as a general rule.
        But then again, n00b, if you'd done any reading in the forums here, you'd know this already.
        ya know... its comments like this that really make me hate message boards. grow up... act like a considerate member of society.. and try to remember back to when you didnt know something.

Comment

Originally posted by joshthepilot
          Actually, the smart thing to do is buy a touchscreen controller for $50 or less, attach the 4 wires that come out of the touchscreen in your dvd player to that controller. You can't hurt it if you put the wires in wrong. If you keep the wires so they go into your dvd controller as well as this small touchscreen controller, the touchscreen will work for everything. You can even use a 4pdt switch or 2 dpdt relays to switch between the 2. It is much easier than it sounds.

I do not know why people do not see the obvious like the guy who wants you to make your own driver....lol
          Actually this would not be the smart thing to do because the video is going to look like crap on a screen with RCA inputs anyway. Too much trouble to get the touchscreen going when the video quality will be sub-par anyway. My advice would be to sell your dvd headunit and buy a vga screen w/ touch overlay.

Comment

Originally posted by chrislloyd
            ya know... its comments like this that really make me hate message boards. grow up... act like a considerate member of society.. and try to remember back to when you didnt know something.
            You must be the one that I was harrassing.

What I said was honest. This has been a question asked in these forums many times before. And the answer has been the same. The work involved to utilize the touchscreen function of a commercial DVD headunit is beynd most of us, and for the ones that are capable of utilizing it, it's really not worth the time and/or effort.

I'm really sorry that you don't like being told to look up your answer. You're going to hear it a lot, and not just from me. Common questions like these have been asked over and over and over again and the answers are either in stickys or easily locatable with a simple search.

When I didn't know anything? I read the forums. I filtered out opinions from fact. And I read some more. Only when I had a question that there was no discernable answer for did I ask a question.
            How about the Wiki?

Comment

powerstrip
              and how exactly is powerstrip gonna help with this?
              Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                You must be the one that I was harrassing.
                actually no... it wasnt me. i was just reading the post.. saw your rude/sarcastic comment and had to reply. have you ever heard the saying.. if you dont have anhything nice to say.. that dont say anything at all?

if you didnt want to answer... than dont. the thread would havve fallen to the bottom in 2 days. if you are sick of the people that dont search.. than ignore. it takes a fraction of a second to hit your back button. when people bash newcomers... it creates a negative feeling on the boards... like now. a negative feeling on a board dedicated to a new and growing hobby... is a bad thing. if you scare away newcomers because you dont like how or why they ask a question... then you potentially lose a great all knowing future user. some people learn best by asking... not trying to follow random posts that might be similar to what they are trying to get answered.

no question is too dumb. id like to see you tell a coworker or your boss when they ask a question.... "you fool.. go search for an answer before you bother me with your silly questions"

try some compassion... or just keep it to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by chrislloyd
                  if you didnt want to answer... than dont. the thread would havve fallen to the bottom in 2 days. if you are sick of the people that dont search.. than ignore. it takes a fraction of a second to hit your back button. when people bash newcomers... it creates a negative feeling on the boards... like now. a negative feeling on a board dedicated to a new and growing hobby... is a bad thing. if you scare away newcomers because you dont like how or why they ask a question... then you potentially lose a great all knowing future user. some people learn best by asking... not trying to follow random posts that might be similar to what they are trying to get answered.
                  I gave him all the steps that were needed to accomplish what he wanted. I answered the guy's question. And i also pointed out that if he'd used the search tool and located the answer, he wouldn't be posting a question that has been asked over & over & over again.
                  The answers to probably 90% of questions asked by n00bs have been answered more than once in these forums.

no question is too dumb. id like to see you tell a coworker or your boss when they ask a question.... "you fool.. go search for an answer before you bother me with your silly questions"
                  I never said his question was dumb or silly. I never called him a fool, only a n00b, which is an accurate description. He is a n00b, based on his post count and his 'born on' date.
                  Nobody claimed that his post was a bother, except for you. I merely pointed out that this question has already been answered before in the forums... repeatedly.

try some compassion... or just keep it to yourself.
                  Compassion ain't my style. Neither is keeping it to myself. I'm blunt. I'm rude. I'm in-your-face. I'm brutally honest with what I think, feel and believe. That's my personality and it's not going to change.
                  Helping people to learn how to fend for themselves and do their own research is, in my opinion, a good thing. You don't appear to agree with me on this point and believe I should be nice.
                  OK, we differ in our ideologies. I can accept that.

Now let's move on, shall we?
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

You might have a good point if you gave him an efficient solution. But it wasn't even close. When you answer people, try not to make them invent the wheel all over again.
                    Making a better wheel is the point of all of this.... what value is found if the solution is 'handed' to you .... Figure it out and then brag about your solution.... Not rest on the accomplishments of others.

The effeciant answer is different for everyone. Maybe buy a premade system, they are available buy expensive. Or build your own logic board and wave table sound output. The range of solutions is great.
                    TruckinMP3
                    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Actually, the smart thing to do is buy a touchscreen controller for $50 or less, attach the 4 wires that come out of the touchscreen in your dvd player to that controller. You can't hurt it if you put the wires in wrong. If you keep the wires so they go into your dvd controller as well as this small touchscreen controller, the touchscreen will work for everything. You can even use a 4pdt switch or 2 dpdt relays to switch between the 2. It is much easier than it sounds.

I do not know why people do not see the obvious like the guy who wants you to make your own driver....lol
                      If it's a resistive touch screen. Which most of them are, but just mentioning it.

The computer WILL look like crap on the screen, but it'll be on the headunit.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

You might have a good point if you gave him an efficient solution. But it wasn't even close. When you answer people, try not to make them invent the wheel all over again.
                        That's my point.
                        For what he wants to do, there is no efficient solution.
                        How about the Wiki?

Comment

Please tell......what great invention did you make since you don't take solutions handed to you?

Ah, this from the false prophet. (powerstrip)

I hacked a touch pad out of a broken keyboard and rewired it to meet my needs. The LCD in my set up is powerd from my DC-DC PS. I found (in 99, I think) the programmable touch pad. I made my own case.... but you could have found that information by following the link in my sig

I also would not call them great, they meet my needs and they are my solutions. If others wish to do the same or simmilar they are welcome to.

How about you?
                          TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Well, I know you weren't the first to come up with those things. Geez, how long have touch pads been around. Here is your cookie.....(that fell on the floor)

And some people like what powerstrip can do when all they have is a non-vga display. Sounds like someone is upset he didn't invent any nice software to help people
                            Its not about coming up with those "things" its about coming up with different ways to implement and use them.

Its sad the way the attitude on this board has progressed over the past couple of years, originally it was a forum to discuss different ideas and issues with car pcs but more and more it is becoming bogged down with people who have the attitude "he has one of those, it looks cool, i want one". People are asking the same questions over and over again when they are relatively simple and have already been answered, rather than investing time to take on a project like this people come with a "quick fix" type attitude. My opinion is if someone wants something unoriginal and they want it now, to go and buy one of the dvd player headunits from a store, it will save a lot of headache if you don't put in the necessary research to begin with.

/rant
                            Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Well, I know you weren't the first to come up with those things. Geez, how long have touch pads been around. Here is your cookie.....(that fell on the floor)

And some people like what powerstrip can do when all they have is a non-vga display. Sounds like someone is upset he didn't invent any nice software to help people
                              Originally posted by TruckinMP3
                              Ah, this from the false prophet. (powerstrip)
                              SNIP
                              I also would not call them great, they meet my needs and they are my solutions. If others wish to do the same or simmilar they are welcome to.

How about you?
                              Josh:
                              Looks like you left out my thoughts on my system and forgot to answer what you have done as well. ( I thought you would )

If I needed powerstrip I would use it. I use a VGA display, so I do not have to worry about non-standard resolutions, it is a choice I made in planning my setup.

If I was a coder I might be interested in useing my own code or releasing it for others. I am not. Are you?

Did you write powerstrip?

I did not claim to be the first, just that I built my project and posted it. Who ****ed in your cereal anyway?

The idea of having questions on the same topics daily is the rant that you decided to jump on. I know you have seen these: 2.5 vs 3.5 HD, temp, power, what do you think of this gadget, will this display work, Xenarc vs Lili, inverter vs DC-DC. These topics have been covered by facts and opinions. Anyone that wants to find this information could read the FAQ and do a little searching to get it.

Buy a vowel.
                              TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X