What type of screen to use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of screen to use

Hello, I am new to this site, and I am currently starting a carputer project. Just wanted to know if there are any advantages to using a touch screen besides the obvious, that you can touch the screen to do things. What are pros/cons of using that, or just using a regular lcd screen. Cost is a factor, thats why I am really asking this. Then maybe at a later date I will get a touch screen and put the non-touch in the back seat or something. thanks

The pro is obvious, like you said. The main con, aside from extra cost, is that it reduces brightness and increases glare. Just how important this will vary on your setup (are your windows tinted? Is there a shroud around the screen? etc). There are people here who've stopped using a TS for that reason; of course there are many more that use it despite it.

Comment

It makes the interfaces that are available much easier to use, especially while driving! It also will be much more impressive when showing off your ride.
      Carputer status: [-*---------]
      Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
        The pro is obvious, like you said. The main con, aside from extra cost, is that it reduces brightness and increases glare. Just how important this will vary on your setup (are your windows tinted? Is there a shroud around the screen? etc). There are people here who've stopped using a TS for that reason; of course there are many more that use it despite it.
        I just used my TS and carputer on my first road trip, and the worst visibility was during sunset, when there was a bright orange glow, and it was still very usable. (My windows are tinted 30% & 50%) I was overall satisfied with the daytime visibility.
        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Not sure what abx is, so prob not me. What about the install. Is a touch screen not better/easier because i can run teh vga plg/port coming from the touch screen right to my computer. Whereas a normal lcd screen I will need a video card that will support Rca connectors? Am i wrong??

Comment

I am sure to be corrected if wrong, but the non-TS monitors from lilliput and Xenarc have the same inputs (vga and composite). Just check them out at the mp3car store!
            Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by auditurbo4
              Not sure what abx is, so prob not me. What about the install. Is a touch screen not better/easier because i can run the vga plug/port coming from the touch screen right to my computer. Whereas a normal lcd screen I will need a video card that will support Rca connectors? Am i wrong??
              Sorry bout that then. How much of a necessity a ts is, is really up to you. Most ts use a usb or serial line in addition to the vga. Text Will look far better on a vga screen than a regular composite. If it's at all in your budget, I'd recommend the vga. Personally I like ts too.

Comment

Working...
              X