bad news with screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad news with screen

so i bought a screen and got it today...plugged it up and it looked like crap, nothing like what my LCD on my computer looks like so i figured out its an STN screen....im ****ed. cost me $85 and i could have gotten a new one from MP3car for $130...so im seeing if the guy will take it back....the screen image looks nothing like what i see on the installs you guys do which is what led me to believe that its an STN screen, but oh well, my project will just take longer now
    2002 Saturn SC2
    system install progress....
    [----------*---] 85%

Kenwood KDC-828 - eD 6500s - two eD 9.2s - eD 13kv.2 - eDead sound deadening - custom ported box - clifford matrix 10.5x

Always ask for a model number...and research research research.
    1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
    PC built into console
    worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

well honestly there is no model number on the screen or the box or anywhere....and i asked if it was TFT and he said yes it was which is why im asking him to take it back...
      2002 Saturn SC2
      [----------*---] 85%

Kenwood KDC-828 - eD 6500s - two eD 9.2s - eD 13kv.2 - eDead sound deadening - custom ported box - clifford matrix 10.5x

Comment

TFT :Thin Film Transistor LCD panel. A type of LCD flat panel display screen in which each pixel is controlled by one to four transistors. The TFT technology provides the best resolution of all the flat panel techniques, but it is also the most expensive. TFT screens are sometimes called active matrix LCDs.

it will be an TFT otherwise it would be quite a chunky bit of kit. What you need is a VGA TFT
        So far - 1.1ghz athlon 4 Sharp Laptop, 256mb RAM, 20GB HDD, 32MB on board graphics. CDRW/DVD, 600W Boschmann amp, K301 InDash Screen

Comment

the screen looks horrible, i cant even explain how the picture looks...NOTHING near to what my laptop screen looks like or what a PSP has....anyways, trying to get ahold of him to get him to see if he will refund my money so i will have enough then to get the one from mp3car.com....
          2002 Saturn SC2
          [----------*---] 85%

Comment

Sounds like you got a NTSC screen, which are very low res. They're fine for TV quality signals, but not for a PC. It's still likely TFT (very few STN screens still out there, generally in niche applications), so the guy probably didn't lie to you. Like Ryan said, what you want is a VGA (640x480) screen.

Comment

does it connect with a VGA connector (like a computer monitor) or an RCA or S-Video (from your TV-out port)?

if it's RCA or S-Video then it's NTSC... and forget about STN vs. TFT, it's GOING to look like crap. Computer TV-OUT always looks that way, until some company comes out with a card that does a half-decent job of it. If you bought an NTSC display expecting it to look as good as a VGA, then sorry, but that's your fault. in that case, i guess good luck getting your $$ back.
              if it's VGA and looks like crap, then yeah, you should get your money back.
              but somehow I doubt you got a VGA LCD for only 85 bucks. hell, the NTSC display I have cost more than that.

You also need to realize that the $130 display in the mp3car store is NOT VGA EITHER. so it's going to look just as bad. NTSC displays are okay for things like Xbox, playstation, and watching DVD's straight from a DVD player... but computer TV-OUT is not nearly good enough to get any quality. That is why people pay $200+ for these VGA monitors (even the non-touchscreen ones)... because VGA displays are actually readable.

**edit: also see my response in this thread: (pic of NTSC screen)**
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=48308
              But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
              Originally posted by Viscouse
              I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
              eegeek.net

Comment

What EvanDude said. If you're paying under $225 bucks for a VGA screen, you ought to be REALLY careful about what you're buying. You want VGA. They ought to be able to provide you with the resolution of the screen, like 800X600 and such. If it says stuff like "320,000 pixels" then your bull**** detector should go off.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

ok....here goes, the screen has only an RCA input and i got it used for $85. the screen looks like its a movie trying to play on a 256 color monitor....there isnt good color blending at all. i cant use a VGA monitor seeing as i dont have a computer!! so are you guys saying that no matter what TFT screen i get, it wont look much better than the one i have now? heres a pic, the best i could do...i suck at pics and pics of this screen is hard....

man....i gotta figure out what im gonna do now guys....
                  2002 Saturn SC2
                  [----------*---] 85%

Comment

looks like bad cables partly. the ghosting shouldnt be there.

Comment

the ghosting is from crappy picture taking lol....man things arent going well right now but i am talking to the guy i bought it from....
                      2002 Saturn SC2
                      [----------*---] 85%

Comment

trying to picture it without the ghosting from the picture... but it looks about right for an NTSC display of that size...

oh... and I think you narrowed down the make of the display a little with the picture since it says Lilliput on the front... so even if it's not the exact screen for sale for $130 on the store here... it's probably identical in performance to it, and basically any other NTSC LCD you'll find...
                        But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                        Originally posted by Viscouse
                        I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                        eegeek.net

Comment

ok then...i know what i need to know...thanks guys, basically im out a crap load of money!! thanks for the help guys
                          2002 Saturn SC2
                          [----------*---] 85%

Comment

well it turns out that it was damaged in shipping...he is going to UPS to file a claim tomorrow and we will see where it does from there....thanks for the help guys
                            2002 Saturn SC2
                            [----------*---] 85%

Comment

Working...
                            X