Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to mount touchscreen in 1996 clio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to mount touchscreen in 1996 clio?

Hello everyone,

I have a 1996 Clio and was thinking of getting a 'carputer' in there with a touchscreen however, I have a problem where to mount the screen as there doesnt seem to be an appropriate place, I thought of a motorized indash touch screen, but after measuring, this wont fit either, it only has a 2cm clearance from the actual place, which isn't really enough for a 1996 clio as it will fold up to hit the dash leaving the screen like: \_ << that. I have included pics of my dash and any comments are appreciated,

Thanks!
    Attached Files

One question: How good are your fabbing skills? Jeez talk about minimalistic dash's....

Comment

where is your current stereo?

how deep is that pocket/stereo cover/ashtray thingy beneath your heating controls?
      "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

Comment

its a bit hard to judge from the pic, but how much space is there above the vents? could mount it there?
        Audio: Alpine PXA-H700 DSP, Rockford Fosgate Punch P4004 amp, P152S Comps and Alpine SWR-1242D Sub
        PC: BU-303, SB Audigy 2 ZS, Jetway 1.5Ghz, Cubid case, M2-ATX PSU, New 700tsv
        Toys:K8055 relay board, Elmscan OBDII

Type-R Mini

Comment

urgh, my Ex used to have one of them - it is a very minimalist. If you want stealth you could put an indash xenarc behind the vents habd heve them flip up and the screen pop out

other than that just mold it in next to the dial cluster above those switches and the vents.

Comment

Originally posted by rickster
            where is your current stereo?

how deep is that pocket/stereo cover/ashtray thingy beneath your heating controls?
            stereo is behind that gray cover below the vents,

YOu could just take that cover off and put the screen there.

Comment

It's about 20cm deep, and would house a motorized dash nicely except for when you eject it, it would just hit the bit below the heater control, The bit above the buttons isn't big at all, And would a 7inch touchscreen fit in the area of the stereo (the grey pull down bit) seems it would be too big and have the bottom sticking down Any ideas?

Comment

Edited pictures and diagrams are welcome to give me some ideas ?

Comment

some more dash pics at http://www.feech.co.uk/clio Help!

Comment

Originally posted by Nookster
                    It's about 20cm deep, and would house a motorized dash nicely except for when you eject it, it would just hit the bit below the heater control, The bit above the buttons isn't big at all, And would a 7inch touchscreen fit in the area of the stereo (the grey pull down bit) seems it would be too big and have the bottom sticking down Any ideas?
                    yeah just have the bottom sticking down, If you fab a nice surround it wont matter. It you cut the bottom of the HU surround you could make a nice big double din space and put an epia in there. Or jsut have an epia underlsung in a nice case.

Comment

Ok, that's an idea, but it would get kinda blocked by the gear stick, not too much of a problem, but would also have to extend the fold down cover... anyone have any other modding ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Nookster
                        some more dash pics at http://www.feech.co.uk/clio Help!

That is a nasty dash.

Ok suggestions.

1. Relocate switches next to air vents. Block air vents and build a screen surround above that space.

2. There is no 2

3. Get a different car.

4. Remove whole centre, build your own from scatch.

5. Wear shoes when taking photos. (socks look naf)

6. Cut into dash beyond the air vents and build surround there.

7. Relocate HU to Glove box, move and rotate heater controls to where HU is. Move and rotate airvents to where heater controls are now, then build screen above where air vents were/are.

phew thats it for now.

Comment

IDEA 1: make a screen pod on top of existing dash
                          Attached Files

Comment

IDEA 2: mak a screen pod recessed into the dash by removing the right vent and moving the switched to somewhere like that area indicated.

RED colour shows the pod enclosure (Don't laugh - am at work using paint and am about to go home to work on my dash)

The little inset pic is fromt he side and shows the screen set back from the front edge (agaisnt the dark upper dash) but set down low to get it in a better position.

EDIT: blue dotted line shows the position of the screen so it forms an 'L'shaped cutout from the sloping dash.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X