Repair shop for "Brand new" Lilliyput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair shop for "Brand new" Lilliyput

Hi, I live in the UK and have recently brought a new 7” Lilliput, which was the latest 2005 model - 629GL 70 P/C/T. I purchased the item off “Ebay” and now the seller is no longer registered or supporting me- Obviously warranty appears void as I opened the case…

Anyway during my install I opened the case and removed the internal workings for fabrication into my dash. When my dash was finished I put it all back together and it no longer works...?

I have tried all the usual including reseating the Ribbons etc.. to no avail. Basically I cannot get anything image wise on the “bright white screen” apart from if I am lucky and do a little cable wiggling I can see a vague “Jurassic park” image apparently used during screen testing.

Does anyone know where this can be looked at for advise & or repaired..? I just know I not major based on the fact I have done nothing to it……..all very strange..

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Craig

We could probably send this back to the MFG but by the time we got done with shipping and repair costs it might be cheaper to buy a new one.

Originally posted by craignichollls
    Hi, I live in the UK and have recently brought a new 7” Lilliput, which was the latest 2005 model - 629GL 70 P/C/T. I purchased the item off “Ebay” and now the seller is no longer registered or supporting me- Obviously warranty appears void as I opened the case…

Anyway during my install I opened the case and removed the internal workings for fabrication into my dash. When my dash was finished I put it all back together and it no longer works...?

I have tried all the usual including reseating the Ribbons etc.. to no avail. Basically I cannot get anything image wise on the “bright white screen” apart from if I am lucky and do a little cable wiggling I can see a vague “Jurassic park” image apparently used during screen testing.

Does anyone know where this can be looked at for advise & or repaired..? I just know I not major based on the fact I have done nothing to it……..all very strange..

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Craig

Comment

Any help appreciated.
      Thanks
      Craig
      http://www.lilliputuk.com might be a good bet. They are not owned by Lilliput themselves but are an official distributer and I know they do spares they may fix them too. They are based in Wolverhampton IIRC.

Did it work before you opened it?
      Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
      Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Hi,
        I don't know if this can help you, but I tell you anyway my exeprence.

I've dismantled my lilliput to put it into a special home made housing and when I've all connected my lilliput didn't show anithing. I've notice that the pcb with 40pin connectors (look at the attached picture) was slightly relieved, then I've pushed it close to the screen and the monitor has worked correctly.

So in my home made housing I've monted a screw to press the pcb close to the screen.

Probably in original housing this isn't necessary because when you close the 2 parts autmatically the pcb is pressed near the screen.

by,

Luigi.
        Attached Files
        CarPC in Progress [||||||||-] 90%
        Visit my Project

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
          http://www.lilliputuk.com might be a good bet. They are not owned by Lilliput themselves but are an official distributer and I know they do spares they may fix them too. They are based in Wolverhampton IIRC.

Thanks I will give them a call.. Hopefully a good option..!

Did it work before you opened it?
          Yep, I tested the second i got it , a couple of second later - i took it a part

Comment

Originally posted by pijo1971
            Hi,
            I don't know if this can help you, but I tell you anyway my exeprence.

I've dismantled my lilliput to put it into a special home made housing and when I've all connected my lilliput didn't show anithing. I've notice that the pcb with 40pin connectors (look at the attached picture) was slightly relieved, then I've pushed it close to the screen and the monitor has worked correctly.

So in my home made housing I've monted a screw to press the pcb close to the screen.

Probably in original housing this isn't necessary because when you close the 2 parts autmatically the pcb is pressed near the screen.

by,

Luigi.
            Thanks Luigi appreciate it...., This is very interesting .. I will definately giving this a go before i go any further.. sound promising...

Comment

Thanks Luigi appreciate it...., This is very interesting .. I will definately giving this a go before i go any further.. sound promising...
              I've had this issue as well. You have to take care while re-inserting the cables, make sure they are inserted well, and ok. If they aren't, you're getting the white-screen.

On my 7", the cable to the buttons is a ***** also, it can be placed in 2 ways, make sure its left-aligned. (You can move it a little to the right, but that won't work)
              My Opel Astra 1993 CarPC: http://www.djsmiley.com/projects/carpc/photos/

Comment

Originally posted by DJSmiley
                I've had this issue as well. You have to take care while re-inserting the cables, make sure they are inserted well, and ok. If they aren't, you're getting the white-screen.

On my 7", the cable to the buttons is a ***** also, it can be placed in 2 ways, make sure its left-aligned. (You can move it a little to the right, but that won't work)
                Excellent tip.. I shall check this also.. i will let you know how i get on.
                The button cable issue makes me think.....

One of the problems i have is the power will only stay on if i hold the Power button down, which i presume is not right.........and this maybe the reason. ?

Comment

So far so good... the button board was causing a problem..now i have control of power and i tried various methods mentioned but still get the dreaded white screen...

just ordered a "couple" of replacement cables..>!! from the nice guy's at - http://www.digitalww.com - I think this is defo the problem..man they were only a day old...how fragile can these things be..?

Does any one know where you can get hold of the retaining clip, which holds the ribbon in place to the circuit board...?

thanks
                  Craig

Comment

They are actually pretty fragile cables, all it takes is one bend the wrong way and it's done.

I havent found anywhere to get those little clips, most people just use a toothpick to hold the cable down. just takes a little practice to get it in.
                    肚子笑痛了
                    S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                      I havent found anywhere to get those little clips, most people just use a toothpick to hold the cable down. just takes a little practice to get it in.
                      Makes sense.. although you see these clip in everything these days, you would expect someone to sell them... guess the market is just not big enough...!!

cheers for the tip.!
                      Craig

Comment

the seller is no longer registered or supporting me- Obviously warranty appears void as I opened the case…
                        What trader is that? ishop4u?

Comment

you have mail... (PM)

Comment

I've dealt with this quite a few of these and here's what I found:

On some Lilliputs, those LCD ribbon clips are glued so they will break. On the others they just break anyway lol. To reinstall first note that the ribbon must be properly centered between two very small tabs in the connector, and that whatever you use to hold it in must apply even pressure across the entire ribbon for good contact. Stick a piece of tape to it, center it, insert it, and tape it to the circuit board. Now take a piece of thin plastic about the thickness of a matchbook cover (the plastic insulator stuff on the back of the circuit board is a little too thin), the exact width of the ribbon, and maybe two inches long. Taper the leading edge on one side with some 400. Put a slight bend in the middle. Now grab it with a long thin pliers and slide it in on top of the ribbon. It should slide in with some resistance. Now tape it too. Works better than a toothpick.

If you buy the replacement ribbons from Armen they are much easier to install than the originals because they are slightly longer and better quality (thicker). I always avoid disconnecting this ribbon if at all possible though.
                            Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by Altimat
                              I've dealt with this quite a few of these and here's what I found:

On some Lilliputs, those LCD ribbon clips are glued so they will break. On the others they just break anyway lol. To reinstall first note that the ribbon must be properly centered between two very small tabs in the connector, and that whatever you use to hold it in must apply even pressure across the entire ribbon for good contact. Stick a piece of tape to it, center it, insert it, and tape it to the circuit board. Now take a piece of thin plastic about the thickness of a matchbook cover (the plastic insulator stuff on the back of the circuit board is a little too thin), the exact width of the ribbon, and maybe two inches long. Taper the leading edge on one side with some 400. Put a slight bend in the middle. Now grab it with a long thin pliers and slide it in on top of the ribbon. It should slide in with some resistance. Now tape it too. Works better than a toothpick..
                              Great detail... thanks...I am certainly going to give this a go...

Originally posted by Altimat
                              If you buy the replacement ribbons from Armen they are much easier to install than the originals because they are slightly longer and better quality (thicker). I always avoid disconnecting this ribbon if at all possible though.
                              I know what you mean about the lengh... this does make it more diffcuilt i struggled like mad.. & I really wished i had not bothered.. i'm no longer sure I even really needed to undo them in the first place...!!!

It just seemed like it would make things a lot easier... how wrong i was..

I just finished my dash fabrication and I have "NO SCREEN" to go in it.. !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X