Using s-video on MII 12000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using s-video on MII 12000

While i am waiting for my new monitor, i thot i would install my system with my pioneer in dash screen. I had problems using the tv out, and by searching found that there was a problem which could be fixed using a resistor.

I also read that you could use a svideo to rca adaptor, that this should work ok. I have tried this but still cant get the desktop to show on the pioneer screen. The only way i can get it to work is if i have a vga monitor connected at the same time. If i unplug the monitor the picture stays on the pioneer but when i reboot i am back to the same problem.

I have tried changing bios settings but still cant get it to work. Am i right in thinking that by using a svid to rca adaptor i am not affected by the problem of insufficient resistance?

Anyone offer any help??
    Epia MII12000, 256MB RAM, 40GB laptop HD, slim DVD/CDRW, M1-ATX, 8 in 1 card reader/writer, Pioneer indash screen (waiting for K301 touchscreen)

There is a workaround for this vga problem. It has something to do with bios wanting a vga screen plugged in during post. You can use a vga terminator (i think thats what its called.) It is basically a vga connector that puts a loop on some of the pins, fooling the computer into thinking there is a monitor connected. Have a search for the VGA loopback/terminator thingy
    "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, ill look into it.

But i think the MII 12000 can display on svideo without a vga monitor present.

In bios where you select display device, it has the option for tv only. This is the setting i have tried, with display type as svideo but i dont get any picture. If i select crt + tv then it works ok as long as the monitor is connected aswell.
      Epia MII12000, 256MB RAM, 40GB laptop HD, slim DVD/CDRW, M1-ATX, 8 in 1 card reader/writer, Pioneer indash screen (waiting for K301 touchscreen)

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman
        Thanks for the suggestion, ill look into it.

But i think the MII 12000 can display on svideo without a vga monitor present.

In bios where you select display device, it has the option for tv only. This is the setting i have tried, with display type as svideo but i dont get any picture. If i select crt + tv then it works ok as long as the monitor is connected aswell.

Look here (Bottom of page) and here
        "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

Comment

Thanks, will give this a try

Comment

I have an EPIAm m9000 and I use the resistor trick to get the screen to work without a monitor. Go to radio shack and get an RCA y cable, buy some resistors (I don't know how many ohms, mine might be around a 100 but I don't exactly recall.) Put the resistor in one end of the y on the RCA cable, the other end goes to the computer like normal. The resistence should tell the screen to enable without a monitor attatched.

You can also test and see if this is your problem by hooking up your computer to a TV and seeing if the video out automatically gets enabled. You might have to try a couple of TV's becuase not all TV's end up putting the resistence on the RCA cable to tell the motherboard it's there.

Good luck.

Comment

I tried the resistor on the rca cable and it almost works. I get the display from boot and can see bios setup screen and windows desktop aswell.

But when i installed the vga drivers i only get the boot screen, not the desktop. The only way i get the desktop is if the monitor is connected aswell. In the display settings the tv option is greyed out so its still not detecting the screen.

I tried it on another tv and it works fine. BTW i am using a 0.25W 68ohm resistor as this was the closest they had in stock. Could this be why its still not detecting it, but as i say it shows the boot screen.

Maybe i will just uninstall the vga drivers, then it will work with resistor but without the monitor.

Comment

Try a stronger resistor. I think mine is around a hundred ohms or something. The drivers in windows do have the enable vga output that shouldn't need a monitor attatched to for it to be enabled. It's a little wierd that you say it is greyed out but maybe VIA changed the drivers a little or something.

Comment

Thanks, i will try another resistor

Comment

Working...
                  X