Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunvisor problem.. really strange plz HELP

Hi,
    Been looking for a good ICE forum for a while..
    the strange problem i'm having is:
    Basically i recently bought 2x 8" tft sunvisors
    same as ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...779527466&rd=1 )
    And when i came to install them i found the black end (think its SVHS) wont fit through the nut so i cant bolt them on?
    Maybe me missing something obvious...
    Please help its drivin me wild

For pics of which i mean, go on ebay link and look at pic of all accessories..

I must be missin something as the guys sells hundreds n hundreds of em...

Jamie

no1

Comment

Edit: Deleted
      Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Comment

damn fort i had a reply

Comment

Originally posted by corsa-i-can
          Hi,
          Been looking for a good ICE forum for a while..
          the strange problem i'm having is:
          Basically i recently bought 2x 8" tft sunvisors
          same as ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...779527466&rd=1 )
          And when i came to install them i found the black end (think its SVHS) wont fit through the nut so i cant bolt them on?
          Maybe me missing something obvious...
          Please help its drivin me wild

For pics of which i mean, go on ebay link and look at pic of all accessories..

I must be missin something as the guys sells hundreds n hundreds of em...

Jamie
          I think you have two solutions.

You can notch the nut, basically, dremel or grind out a notch on the nut so that you can slip the cable into the center hole. The problem with this, of course, is that if the cable is thick, the notch will be pretty big, and will seriously weaken the nut, so that you might have problems with the nut "stretching" and not holding the threads really well.

Another solution would be to cut the cable, and then reconnect the wires once you got them thru the nut. OR open the screen, and unsolder the cable, feed it through the nut, and then resolder the connections on the screen.

Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

i thought of cutting the cable, or getting local ICE place to, cos i arent that good with wires, but i just dont understand what everybody else is doing with them, loads sell daily...

Comment

What about the other idea I had?

Here is a picture, to help you conceptualize.

Michael
              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

By how much is it not fitting through the nut? Maybe just shave a small amount of rubber off of the svid connector?
                肚子笑痛了
                S60 Install

Comment

Post some pictures and see if anybody can come up with an alternative... I'm having a hard time figuring out WHY they'd send you mounting stuff that can't accomodate the cables that they know have to fit through them, so maybe they just sent you the wrong hardware?

From the pics on the ebay page it looks like it's a thick cable with a pseudo-svideo connector that splits into the yellow (video) and white (audio? mono if so?) cables... plus the 2 wires for sound. Cutting the cable might be a bear, because you're then dealing with having to re-attach all that wiring and making it look clean. It's doable though... I guess it depends on how much work you have to do.

Wiredwrx, I'm not entirely sure, but I think the nut is part of the bracket to hold the visor onto the headliner/roof... so it might not be possible to take out a notch in order to fit the cable through. One of the pictures shows this, but I don't know if you can remove the nut from the bracket or something...

Comment

I would be more apt to taking the sunvisor apart and if possible unplugging the cable from the circuit board, cutting the nut sounds like a drastic measure
                    肚子笑痛了
                    S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by viguera
                      Post some pictures and see if anybody can come up with an alternative... I'm having a hard time figuring out WHY they'd send you mounting stuff that can't accomodate the cables that they know have to fit through them, so maybe they just sent you the wrong hardware?

From the pics on the ebay page it looks like it's a thick cable with a pseudo-svideo connector that splits into the yellow (video) and white (audio? mono if so?) cables... plus the 2 wires for sound. Cutting the cable might be a bear, because you're then dealing with having to re-attach all that wiring and making it look clean. It's doable though... I guess it depends on how much work you have to do.

Wiredwrx, I'm not entirely sure, but I think the nut is part of the bracket to hold the visor onto the headliner/roof... so it might not be possible to take out a notch in order to fit the cable through. One of the pictures shows this, but I don't know if you can remove the nut from the bracket or something...
                      You might be right about the hardware. I figured that the threaded arm and the cable fit through the "bracket" and then a nut tightened on the threaded arm. I don't thinkthe bracket in the picture has a threaded nut attached to it. If it did, techincally, the whole assembly could be removed by rotating it over and over. I guess it is possible though.

Have you tried contacting the vendor. You say they sold lots, this has to have come up before if there is a problem, unless it is unique to you. Perhaps they have a solution.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                        You might be right about the hardware. I figured that the threaded arm and the cable fit through the "bracket" and then a nut tightened on the threaded arm. I don't thinkthe bracket in the picture has a threaded nut attached to it. If it did, techincally, the whole assembly could be removed by rotating it over and over. I guess it is possible though.
                        Well that's why I was asking him about pictures... a good clear shot of the bracket itself would tell the tale. I was looking at some of the other visor-mounted stuff that they sell, and it doesn't look like the nut would come off though...

If you look at this one here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...25996&tc=photo you can sort-of see another picture of the hardware and it's almost the same. My guess is that you thread the cable through, tighten the visor unto the bracket while it's still outside the car, then screw the bracket unto the roof or something. Either way, even with a nut on the back of the bracket, I think that hole on the bracket itself might be too small to fit anything through.

Comment

Originally posted by viguera
                          Well that's why I was asking him about pictures... a good clear shot of the bracket itself would tell the tale. I was looking at some of the other visor-mounted stuff that they sell, and it doesn't look like the nut would come off though...

If you look at this one here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...25996&tc=photo you can sort-of see another picture of the hardware and it's almost the same. My guess is that you thread the cable through, tighten the visor unto the bracket while it's still outside the car, then screw the bracket unto the roof or something. Either way, even with a nut on the back of the bracket, I think that hole on the bracket itself might be too small to fit anything through.
                          Hard to tell if the bracket is threaded. Also, from looking a the picture, to me, it doesn't look like the cable will fit through either.

Hmmmmmmm, Things from EBAY.

Michael

Comment

Thanks 4 all replies you guys :-)
                            yeh it wouldnt be possible to cut the nut as its surrounded by plastic, see pic
                            the wire goes through the nut and bolts to car or should lol
                            it isnt possible to shave plastic off as the whole metal bit wont go through
                            i contacted another couple of users who recently left feedback, one reply i got was :

" looked a bit closer at the unit after your first email and the cable doesn't fit through the nut. I'm gonna try and contact eonon now and if no reply I will change my feedback. The only thing I can suggest that will help now is that we take the units to an electrican who can take the plug of and refit once teh nut has been threaded through the wire. Stupid aint it"

lol

pics are here:
                            http://web.ukonline.co.uk/jamie.d4/sun/1.jpg
                            http://web.ukonline.co.uk/jamie.d4/sun/2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by corsa-i-can
                              Thanks 4 all replies you guys :-)
                              yeh it wouldnt be possible to cut the nut as its surrounded by plastic, see pic
                              the wire goes through the nut and bolts to car or should lol
                              it isnt possible to shave plastic off as the whole metal bit wont go through
                              i contacted another couple of users who recently left feedback, one reply i got was :

" looked a bit closer at the unit after your first email and the cable doesn't fit through the nut. I'm gonna try and contact eonon now and if no reply I will change my feedback. The only thing I can suggest that will help now is that we take the units to an electrican who can take the plug of and refit once teh nut has been threaded through the wire. Stupid aint it"

lol

pics are here:
                              http://web.ukonline.co.uk/jamie.d4/sun/1.jpg
                              http://web.ukonline.co.uk/jamie.d4/sun/2.jpg
                              Yeah that sucks... but it shouldn't be all that hard to do it yourself. Well, it's gonna be hard, but just because it's a lot of work...

I'd suggest you peel off (not cut) the cable at a good distance from the connector and see what's up. You should have a couple of wires for the video, a couple for sound and a couple for power, but that should be about it. It should be possible for you to mark everything, cut them and thread them through, then splice them back after they're threaded.

It sucks that YOU have to do this as opposed to the vendor, but hey... that's what you get with ebay.

I'd still like to see a few more pics of the whole thing... especially the visors themselves. They look interesting enough for that price, and if they're not too crappy and match the interior, I'd probably look into them as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X