Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why only 7' Widescreen?

Hello,
    I am gathering the parts for my Carputer, and I will probably end up with the Xenarc 7" tsv. The opening in my dash, however, would accommodate a 10.2" WIDESCREEN perfectly, but the Wide format in vga seems to be limited to the 7". (Plenty of widescreens in 'composite video in' though.) Does anyone understand why the 9" widescreen like "Cartunes" had in past posts is not a stock item, or a 10" widescreen touch does not seem to be available? Just wondering?

Thanks,

to bright, lights up the car at night. and some other reasons.

Comment

You will be glad that there are 7" screen for you to use. Why cuz that the perect size that fit most car. There is not a big market for screen size bigger than 7 (but that may change in the future).
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I appreciate your responses, but I respectfully disagree. The brightness, at night, must surly be able to be overcome with a phototransistor circuit as some on this forum are working on for the upgraded backlight project. As for the size, you would be correct if the only place we put them was the dash. I have seen installs of 10 widescreen (composite in though) in headrests and overhead flipdowns. I just want one VGA in, and touch screen. (they sell them at the online store here 8 and 10, just not widescreen, Why?)

Is that too much to ask?

Comment

Originally posted by 7mmMKsuper
          I appreciate your responses, but I respectfully disagree. The brightness, at night, must surly be able to be overcome with a phototransistor circuit as some on this forum are working on for the upgraded backlight project. As for the size, you would be correct if the only place we put them was the dash. I have seen installs of 10 widescreen (composite in though) in headrests and overhead flipdowns. I just want one VGA in, and touch screen. (they sell them at the online store here 8 and 10, just not widescreen, Why?)

Is that too much to ask?

I have a phidget board that I am using for my project with the light sesor which will allow me to control the brightness of the LCD depending on ambient light.
          I am using a 10.4 in. non widescreen in my car. In hindsight, it would've been much easier to put the smaller lcd in the car. I thing it'll look good once I'm done with the fiberglass.

I think that's the main reason for using the smaller lcd - ease of installation.

- Jeff
          95 Mustang GT Convertible
          87 Mustang GT Convertible
          My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

Kaitain,
            unless I am missing something, the VGA input 8" models from Xenarc, are 4:3, not 16:9. Yet they too sell a composite input model that is 16:9. Go figure.

Thanks,

Comment

7" screen is:

1. the right width for a HU space

2. the right hight for a double din HU space

3. a nice size

4. the largest you can get folding out from a HU sized in dash unit

5. widescreenw hich looks good for nav and stuff

6. not too small like a 5.6"

7. not to big

There you go - 7 reasons for a 7" (and that wasnt intended)

Comment

I have that 9" widescreen I can sell you, it has all cables, and a burnt dicon controller...need to buy a new controller

Originally posted by 7mmMKsuper
                Hello,
                I am gathering the parts for my Carputer, and I will probably end up with the Xenarc 7" tsv. The opening in my dash, however, would accommodate a 10.2" WIDESCREEN perfectly, but the Wide format in vga seems to be limited to the 7". (Plenty of widescreens in 'composite video in' though.) Does anyone understand why the 9" widescreen like "Cartunes" had in past posts is not a stock item, or a 10" widescreen touch does not seem to be available? Just wondering?

Thanks,
                1992 z71 Chevy

Comment

SIZE DOES MATTER ;-) lol

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52344

One available at cartft...
                    Old setup
                    Epia M10k, Cubid 2699R case, 512MB, 40GB 3.5" drive
                    New setup
                    Optiplex 260SX (2.8GHz P4, 512MB, 30GB, DVD)
                    Xenarc 700IDT, USB hub, 802.11g, bluetooth, P2140, P5V

Comment

sorry but i disagree. (with scouse monkey)

how can you say "widescreenw hich looks good for nav and stuff"?

by stuff i'm guessing you mean the whole windows approacha dn all teh programs with it. by making it widescreen you're reducing the area you ahve to work with, but more importantly losing on height. an 8" 4:3 screen will have more area and is better suited to applications.

the only reason i can see for widescreen is movies, but that's not legal while driving.

so if you';ve got more than a double din (maybe remove the cup holders from a golf) then i'd say 8" 4:3 all the way.

Comment

Working...
                      X