Nice little infrared hardware hack for Lilliput owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice little infrared hardware hack for Lilliput owners

I really felt like sharing this one -- It has turned out to be VERY easy to hookup the lilli's internal infrared sensor to your carputer's serial port. It will allow you to control your PC with whatever infrared remote control you have lying around, including the otherwise useless remote that comes with the lilli itself.

All you need is a program like Girder (www.girder.nl), an unused serial port, a 9 pin female D-sub connector and a single shielded wire. Girder has become payware, but earlier free versions can still be found. I got mine from http://www.gibbsdesign.co.uk/support/girder329.exe (Thanks, BenG )

Ok, as for the hardware, open up your lilliput, locate the infrared "eyeball" and solder your shielded wire to the 2 pads as shown in the picture below. Wire up the D-connector accordingly and that's it. The lilli eyeball is very responsive to whatever remote I'm firing at it, so you might prefer this hack instead of building your own interface from scratch.

Girder requires a well known plugin by Igor Cesko, which can also be found on BenG's site (http://www.gibbsdesign.co.uk/support/IgorPlug.zip). I find Girder to be a bit difficult to configure, but that's merely due to its versatility. There are plenty of howto's available. Igor Cesko's page http://www.cesko.host.sk/girderplugin.htm is a good place to start.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    CarPC status: HW all done, SW needs tweaked.
    Hardware: VIA MII-12K, 512MB, 60GB 2.5", CW-8123 DVD-CDRW, 7" Lilli ts, Opus 90W, BU-353 GPS, 802.11b PCI, USB bluetooth dongle, AverMedia AverTV Cardbus Plus, Morex Cubid 3677
    Software: RR, MM/FD

you are the man.....but now i'll have to open my lilliput , oh well this will save me a good $20-$30
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

Comment

one thing bothers me though.......why dont we see a picture of yours already soldered?
      PC Components:
      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
      My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
        one thing bothers me though.......why dont we see a picture of yours already soldered?
        If you insist -- the bottom pic is a screenshot of Girder after teaching the mute button of the lilli remote. Also notice the orange leds to match my dash lighting.
        Attached Files
        Hardware: VIA MII-12K, 512MB, 60GB 2.5", CW-8123 DVD-CDRW, 7" Lilli ts, Opus 90W, BU-353 GPS, 802.11b PCI, USB bluetooth dongle, AverMedia AverTV Cardbus Plus, Morex Cubid 3677

Comment

nice
          PC Components:
          My work log

Comment

sweet
            RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
            We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Awesome!
              Zen Fat Loss

Comment

Originally posted by RS3RS
                Awesome!
                Thanks
                Notice the wiring being different from http://www.lirc.org/images/schematics.gif. Forget about that Lirc interface. The ones on Igor's page won't work either. The link between pins 1 and 3 is essential.

Girder is so cool -- I am controlling mplayer with the remote of my 15 year old vcr as we speak

Comment

suprised this thread isnt getting more attention.....was hoping someone else would do it before I got around to doing mine
                  PC Components:
                  My work log

Comment

Does any1 know if there is something like this for the Xenarc 700tsv?
                    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
                    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
                    Via M10K
                    512mb Ram
                    60GB HDD
                    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
                    OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

what functions can say.. .the lilliput remote perform when connected to the computer. I guess i'm just a little confused as to whats to gain here.
                      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

nice turnaround - using the stock part for custom apps...

there should be a similar hack to xenarc or any other device with an IR eye...

http://www.modasylum.com/guides.php?guide=16

what's to gain from a remote in the car?

well, control the PC differently, even have specific buttons do SERIES of action.
                        if you want to do it, you can. You should give a try to Girder and figure out yourself... but be aware: once you start remote controlling your PC, there's no way back.
                        -Mars

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                          what functions can say.. .the lilliput remote perform when connected to the computer. I guess i'm just a little confused as to whats to gain here.
                          You don't use the lilliput remote you use any other remote with more buttons that can be programmed to to go things, anything with girder
                          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

nice!! :-( i just dont have a serial port sighh

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                              suprised this thread isnt getting more attention.....was hoping someone else would do it before I got around to doing mine
                              What could possibly go wrong? I mean, if the hack would involve flashing some custom made bios or whatever, I would hesitate too. But there's really no risk in linking a simple 5V open collector output to a serial input which was originally designed to handle voltages between -12 and +12V.

Here's an image of the lilli's IR output, taken with a storage scope. Vertical scale is set at 2 volts/div, ground level is at the vertical center. Maybe this will boost your confidence
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X