Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting the MTSVO-SC LCD head unit in a 2005 Corolla?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting the MTSVO-SC LCD head unit in a 2005 Corolla?

I have a 2005 Corolla model S.

I ordered the MTSVO-SC auto fold out touch screen from the MP3car store. I haven't receieved it yet (as I suspect no one has, estimated ship date is June 30th) , but I am in the planning stages right now for mounting the thing.

I have never installed a head unit in my life, and based on what I've seen so far of my dash space, I'm not exactly sure how to proceed..

I purchased one of these, a Schoche TA2048 single DIN adaptor thingy:

To install the adaptor in my dash, I had to take out the factory steel mounting brackets, so now there is really nothing in the dash to take hold of a head unit.

My question is this.. Do I need some other part to install the MTSVO-SC when it arrives? What will hold/lock the unit in the dash?

If that doesn't make any sense I can post a picture of what the adaptor looks like installed later on.

Thanks!
    Enigma Curry
    My AutoComp Worklog

Here are some pics of the DIN space...

Maybe it will all become clear when I get the display, but It really looks to me that I'm missing something here..

That's a shot of where the left hand side of the head unit would go... doesn't a bracket need to be there?

Thanks for reading!
    Enigma Curry
    My AutoComp Worklog

Comment

Have you installed the unit yet? I would love to see some pictures! We started shipping this a week ago. I assume you would have gotten yours unless something else is backorderd on the same invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tellarite
        To install the adaptor in my dash, I had to take out the factory steel mounting brackets, so now there is really nothing in the dash to take hold of a head unit.

My question is this.. Do I need some other part to install the MTSVO-SC when it arrives? What will hold/lock the unit in the dash?
        Most people make a steel strap or fab a bracket that will attach the HU (or sceen in this case) to something behind the dash that will hold it in place.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I got a tracking number yesterday!! (btw.. the screen was the only thing in the order)

The scheduled delivery date is July 15th, so I will be posting pictures as soon as I can after I get it installed.

As for the bracket, sounds like I'll be heading to Home Depot to get some sheet metal. Thanks DarquePervert.
          Enigma Curry
          My AutoComp Worklog

Comment

the screen should come with its own cage that you secure to the plastic facia
            So far - 1.1ghz athlon 4 Sharp Laptop, 256mb RAM, 20GB HDD, 32MB on board graphics. CDRW/DVD, 600W Boschmann amp, K301 InDash Screen

Comment

Oh cool , that would make it even easier!
              Enigma Curry
              My AutoComp Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by Tellarite
                Oh cool , that would make it even easier!
                Note that Ryanmt said PLASTIC.
                That doesn't secure the unit to the vehicle, only secures it in place. One good pull from a determined thief will render your screen stolen and your fascia destroyed.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Ouch... Thanks again DarquePervert.

Thank-you all for helping a newb.
                  Enigma Curry
                  My AutoComp Worklog

Comment

I just got my screen installed today. I have mixed feelings about it. The screen itself is awesome. The mounting part is kind of a different story.

Like Ryanmt mentioned, it did come with it's own metal cage. You just insert the cage and pry up some petal tabs and it stays in place.. it's solid, but not theft proof solid. One good yank, like DarquePervert said and it will come out... and possibly half the dash as well.

The biggest problem I have is that the screen (when closed) sticks way far out from the facia. There was supplied a cover thingy to cover up any space where the screen doesn't cover the facia, but it isn't long enough. You can see the metal cage sticking out of the dash because the face doesn't cover it. I tried putting the cage further back in the DIN space.. but it wouldn't attach in there solidly... Also, I think the screen may not open fully if I were to put it in there further back.

So here is what it looks like right now... metal protruding and all. I'll probably fabricate some kind of new black frame for it so it looks better. Once I do that I'll probably be 100% happy.

Complaint #2: Yes...that Mp3Car.com sticker is on there crooked
                    Enigma Curry
                    My AutoComp Worklog

Comment

Umm that doesn't look right. You sure you installed the cage correctly? From the looks of it, it needs to be pushed back a little more.

How's the picture quality? Does it completely wash out in the sun?

-HD

Comment

Well, I tried installing the cage a few different ways... it just wouldn't attach any other way. I think I'll give it another go before I start to think of other ways of doing this..

The screen itself is really nice. It does wash out pretty bad in the sun though... that's probably mostly due to that this is mounted pretty high in my dash... it may do better mounted lower in someone elses car. The nice thing is that you can push the + and - buttons on the screen itself and it adjusts the angle the screen is at. I can usually get a pretty good angle..

it'd be cool to see pictures of anyone else that has this screen (especially how they installed the cage. btw... this is how I have the cage installed:

Enigma Curry
                        My AutoComp Worklog

Comment

With those 2 metal plates you can choose the the distance. The difference is 1cm I think and mine also sticks way far out. But I can choose the next hole for the 2 plates to fit in making the screen going a little more to the back. In my case that isn't good because I have buttons behind it and the angle isn't good for me.

this is a picture of the first setup with screen all to the back.

Comment

Working...
                          X