CRT touch screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRT touch screen?

I searched and all I found were dead links.

Are there any CRT touch screens that would hook up to a carPC? Has anyone had any success with these?

Would they be less expensive?

Also, does anyone know of any screens that come with oem navigation units or screens that could take a PC signal? I have access to lots of salvage cars. Thanks!!

if you already have a crt somewhere just get an overlay kit in the appropriate size.

you are going to install a crt iin your car? i hope it's a winnebago, if that's what you're thinking.. lol
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

CRT, Are you for real hehe.

CRT, Is big High Depth, And Consumes way more power then a `TFT LCD" screen

Try searching for --> "tft/LCD Touchscreen"
      80 GIG SATA
      512MB
      7 TFT Touch Super
      Pioner Slot in DVD-RW writer
      108 Mbit Wireless Lan
      100 M Bluetooth Range
      //Power Nisse

My Betasite -> http://haagen.se

Comment

Originally posted by vanhanz
        I searched and all I found were dead links.

Are there any CRT touch screens that would hook up to a carPC? Has anyone had any success with these?
        You really believe it would be a good idea to put a cathode-ray tube (basically a pressurized glass container) in your car?
        Let's look at why this is a horrible idea:
        They're significantly larger than an LCD panel.
        They're far more fragile than an LCD monitor.
        They're heavier than an LCD panel.

Would they be less expensive?
        Yes, they'd be less expensive, and that's about the only good thing about your idea.

Also, does anyone know of any screens that come with oem navigation units or screens that could take a PC signal? I have access to lots of salvage cars. Thanks!!
        If the screen has an RCA composite input, it can accept any composite video signal. Some PC video adapters can put out a composite signal, HOWEVER, PCs weren't meant to display on a TV, which has a lower resolution. AS such, the result will look marginal AT BEST, and most likely crappy.

I suggest checking out the FAQ Emporium and doing a lot of reading.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I suggest checking out the FAQ Emporium and doing a lot of reading.
          Amen.
          RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

KITT had crt screens. Aircraft use CRT screens. It aint actually that silly an idea as a 6" CRT would only be about 5-6" deep but i doubt you will ever find one that does VGA in that small. Then again you could maybe find one in some old medical equipment but it wont be flast so insatlling a TS will be hard.

Comment

CRT gives off a sharper picture, better color duplication, and none of that bad viewing angle crap. Most of the late 90's luxury cars used CRT screens in them for their navigation systems. And I believe the CRT tv's have been in full size vans for years, why would that be unsafe?

"HOWEVER, PCs weren't meant to display on a TV"

I'm looking at a CRT monitor right now. On my computer. Actually I've been doing so for over 15 years.

LCD's aren't as reliable technology as the CRT, hence why everyone is still searching for the perfect in car LCD. No dead pixels, etc.

So if we can get over why it would be a bad idea, could someone answer me if they've found any or anything on any available.

Comment

Originally posted by vanhanz
                CRT gives off a sharper picture, better color duplication, and none of that bad viewing angle crap. Most of the late 90's luxury cars used CRT screens in them for their navigation systems. And I believe the CRT tv's have been in full size vans for years, why would that be unsafe?

"HOWEVER, PCs weren't meant to display on a TV"

I'm looking at a CRT monitor right now. On my computer. Actually I've been doing so for over 15 years.

LCD's aren't as reliable technology as the CRT, hence why everyone is still searching for the perfect in car LCD. No dead pixels, etc.

So if we can get over why it would be a bad idea, could someone answer me if they've found any or anything on any available.
                He is absolutely correct, PC's arent meant to be displayed on a TV, different resolutions, can it be done? Sure, will it look like a vga signal going into a TV monitor that isnt set to accept that resolution and therefore look like **** (I can account to this, my htpc was on a standard tv), yes.

I dont really see how the hell a TV got into the subject, surely you wouldnt use a standard tv as a monitor, but yes you could use a crt THAT is set to recieve a vga input

I just hope you have a strong battery....
                2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

Comment

Hi Van, while I would disagree with your idea, don't let me stop you. Do something diff. I will try to help.

BTW, if you get this working, for th love of buda, post some pics, will ya?

Here are some links... good luck

http://www.baber.com/monitors/touchs...creen_kits.htm

http://www.neutroncanada.com/prod.cf...XP_LINUX_BEIGE
                  03' Toyota Tundra T3 Special Edition - Polk Audio speakers - Sony 4ch amp - RF Sub amp
                  Carputer Planning |---------*|
                  Overall Implementation |---------*-|
                  (Stereo complete)
                  Computer installed and working

Comment

Never will be my friend.

Go find a nice cheap and VGA CRT and we can talk about how large it is, heavy it is, power hungry it is and basically how putting that hunk of glass and cathode in a car is a VERY VERY naught idea.

Talking about comparisons between the capabilities of LCDs vs CRTs is a moot point here in carputer land.

"LCDs arent reliable technology" yes they are. Your pocket calculator works doesnt it?

"Bad color representation" not for the average person, that only applies to print/video work

From your first post all I can tell is you want to jack a CRT from some old junk car you have lying around and use it, that wont work for what I believe you want your carputer to do.

bite the bullet and get an LCD touchscreen, its a MUST for carputers and usually the largest expense.

Get a helmet, its gonna rain.
                    (All done)
                    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

True, if you want to do it, go for it! Hit up ebay.
                      2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

Comment

Of course you can get any ol CRT to be a touchscreen, we had those before you had touchy LCDs, but in a car you arent going to shoehorn in any decent sized CRT.

A 7" or so (average LCD size here) CRT monitor is friggen unheard of. A TV maybe, but thats not what you want.

Now maybe a 12" CRT monitor you can find, but where the hell you gonna put it? IN the passenger seat with seatbelt?
                        (All done)
                        iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

I'm not talking about a TV, but a CRT monitor, like the ones that 99.9% of people used on computers 2 years ago, the ones that reached 1600x1200 resolution +, and can scale to any resolution without it looking distorted. But not a huge one, but a mini one that could fit in a double-din sized opening. Might be a little long, but there are benefits.

And I work at the largest car salvage place in north america, we have acres and acres of cars and parts that we only sell to insurance companies. If there was a navigation system, I can get it, except on bentleys and other exotic cars, lol.

You all are probably right, but with some of the benefits of the CRT, for me its worth exploring. LCD's IMO are still evolving, the response times are getting better, but on the less expensive models, there is sometimes ghosting. To me, they can't compare to the versatility of a CRT monitor, which is why I still use one for my desktop.

Thanks to the people who gave some input, I just felt like this area has been ignored and there might be a solution. Thanks!

Comment

Hey,
                            me again...
                            Go to an airplane junkyard.... From my flying days, those crt's might do what you want, but be prepaird to pay some green.... See if you can find a FMS display with the touch buttons (nav buttons) located on the side. Sorry I can't point you to a website... google it bro- also these screens will handle the airpockets (in your case pothole) HA !! and would be less likely to get out of synch on you.

Here is a screen but only green and white. The newer models are in color
                            http://home.earthlink.net/~x-plane/FAQ-Using-FMS.html
                            03' Toyota Tundra T3 Special Edition - Polk Audio speakers - Sony 4ch amp - RF Sub amp
                            Carputer Planning |---------*|
                            Overall Implementation |---------*-|
                            (Stereo complete)
                            Computer installed and working

Comment

Hi, to whom it may concern... I am looking into using a 15inch CRT NEC Multisync 2V monitor that came with my 75mhz Pentium 1 NEC Ready 7510 computer which my granddad paid 3000 for new; in the car because I need an additional monitor in the car for working on college with my laptop when I travel (in town). I just need some more screen space because the laptop monitor is miniscule compared to the dual 22inch CRT's in the house failed to ship so far. OneNote 2007 and pentagon concept mapping for an associates degree, yes, um car PC um tricycle PC, um, um... outdoor home automation Buddhist ecology education automation outdoor living space with holographic data mining AI remembrance agents for augmented reality contextual awareness collective consciousness www.dharmaprinting.com or www.wizwheelz.com I have a trike for sale SHORT version with bionix kit mounted on the rear wheel luggage rack 1,250. I need to pay 4 classes worth of tuition and am having a hard time finding a job because of my criminalzation of mental illness or ADHD/mild Autism sociophysics :::shrug::: I don't make the rules.

Anyway I have what I think is a 400 watt inverter and a laptop so my usage on both looks to be about umm 400 watts so if the battery is about 450 watts that means I need to either to take along the extension cord and a splitter // park close to an electrical outlett or run the car alternator for about 15 minutes every 5 minutes.... (no money for car pc.... yes.) Please see my page and share whatever information you find there to be useful for enacting globalcide with reports to your local public officials corruption base of operations. er corrputorations. bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X