Epoxy or hot glue ribbon cables?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoxy or hot glue ribbon cables?

I messed up the connector to the ribbon cable going to the control buttons on my lilliput.

I jammed the ribbon cable into the slot using some paper to hold it temporarily. I would like to go with a more permanant aproach though.

I am nervous about using epoxy, what if they don't sit quite right, and then don't work? Then I am screwed.

I thought about using hot glue, but will that flow too much and get into the connectors? Or heat up durring use and flow down in?
    :: '97 2.5 TL :: CarPC 1.0: Complete :: CarPC 2.0: 95% ::

hot glue OK.

Comment

hmm.. i dunno about the lilliput and/or other peoples' setups, but i gotta say - my xenarc is getting REALLY hot in the summer here in NY, not burning hot, but it does get uncomfortable to leave my finger on the ts for more than a couple of seconds..

i'd be really nervous if anything was hot-glued in there.
      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

i use velcro to hold one of my ribbon cables in place. The heavy duty kind. It gives me no problems
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

hot glue would be fine. it doesn't melt THAT easily. you can also buy high-temp hot glue if you are that worried.

or if you want a similar solution without worrying about it melting, use silicone. I got a tube from home depot (its sold as like aquarium caulk or something) and i've used it for tons of similar things.
          But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
          Originally posted by Viscouse
          I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
          eegeek.net

Comment

I may just hot glue it, it doesn't sound like it is too much of an issue.

Evan - The silicone you bought, is it in a squeeze tube, or a tube you put into a caulking gun? I work in a hardware store, but that is something I am still unsure about.
            :: '97 2.5 TL :: CarPC 1.0: Complete :: CarPC 2.0: 95% ::

Comment

that's what I have. I bought that over the other various kinds of silicone because it is 100% silicone, no extra crap in it that might cause any problems with electronics.
              But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
              Originally posted by Viscouse
              I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
              eegeek.net

Comment

dont epoxy it as if you break a cable you are *****ed!

Comment

Working...
                X