Help needed RGBS monitor - needs VGA input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed RGBS monitor - needs VGA input

I have a 350Z with indash navigation monitor - The monitor accepts RGBS inputs from the navigation sytem.

I am not happy with my current carputer setup which converts the TV output from my M10000 system to RGBS through a tvandnav2go converter. Basically, the display is too fuzzy to use.

I have an altinex 1910 VGA to RGBS converter that I could use to convert the M10000 VGA output to the monitor. That would probably have a much better picture quality.

The other option is to change monitors (Nissan charges $1200 for the RGBS monitor) to the Xenarc 700 TSV - BUT that monitor doesn't have RGBS inputs. So, if I convert to that monitor, how would I convert the RGBS from the navigation package to VGA? I know that the difference between the two is that VGA is actually RGBHV and the difference is that the sync signal is broken out into seperate horizontal and vertical components instead of the composite sync that RGBS includes. But, the navigation package could easily be putting out scan rates that would not be compatible with the xenarc.

Am I making this problem too hard? Am I missing something?
    Would I possibly be happy (or at least happier) if I came up with a way that would let me switch the monitor between two RGBS sources with my carputer video being derived from the VGA?

I can easily be happy with an acceptable video for frodo or displaying my obdII information.

BTW - if I feed a dvd video feed into the monitor, it looks acceptable.

What do you think???

Ok...I've done something similar, just with an Xbox in a Lexus with Stock Navigation which also uses an RGBs system. I had used the NavTV, AVelectronics, and VAIStech type of products that convert composite video to RGBs and I was not happy with the results. Very poor image quality (dull and fuzzy). But now with using straight RGBs signal, the video comes in bright and clear.

However, there is a problem with using the VGA output of a normal computer system...it will normally have a sync output between 25-85Hz. But on the RGBs systems on the navigation systems (which I'd imagine your Nissan is similar), they require a sync signal of around 16Hz. Any higher and the image isn't displayed correctly (rolling image).

I tried to use a straight VGA output from my Xbox and it would work on a computer monitor, but would be messed up on my stock navigation screen.

So ended up using an Audio Authority 9A65 component video to RGBs converter. A 4PDT relay was used to switch between the signal from the converter and the stock navigation computer. It works really well. So basically, I can use any video source that can output component video.

Not sure if that helped, but will shed some light on the subject...

Comment

http://www.grandtec.com/xppro.htm

This type of TV scan converter MAY work for your application since it can convert from VGA to component...then you can go to component to RGBs with the 9A65...but I'm not sure about the sync signal. If I get a chance later this week, I might pick one up and try it out for you...and connect up my laptop and see if that works...if it does...I may build a carputer to go alongside my Xbox

Comment

I know and have exactly what you need . I was going to get a RX8 which has a RGBS screen for the navigation so I bought a Extron RGB 109xi. It works perfect and I have tested it. I also have a couple straight through BNC cables. I could sell it all to you so let me me know if you are interested. I ended up buying a 2005 Mustang instead so I have no use for this equipment

The Extron RGB 109xi with ADSP is a dedicated computer-video interface with a 15-130 kHz scanning range, 300 MHz (-3dB) of RGB video bandwidth, and a 15-pin HD connector. It is compatible with VGA UXGA, Mac G3, and Mac G4 display signals, and will convert computer-generated, unbalanced audio to balanced, line level audio. Sync processing is achieved through Extron's exclusive Advanced Digital Sync Processing (ADSP) technology, ensuring compatibility with digital display devices such as DLP, LCD, D-ILA™/LCoS, plasma, etc.

Features
        300 MHz (-3dB) RGB video bandwidth
        Advanced Digital Sync Processing (ADSP)
        Active PC audio to balanced audio interfacing
        Three-position level/peaking switch
        Horizontal centering control
        Sync on green output (DIP switch-selectable)
        Automatic sync stripping from red, green, and blue
        Serration pulse removal (DIP switch-selectable)
        Digital Display Sync Processing (DDSP™), DIP switch-selectable
        ID bit termination on pins 4 and 11
        Internal international

as you can see Extron is known for there video equipment I also have two Extron RGBS video switchers for extra devices. Don't just convert the RGBS to Composite becuase you will lose alot of quality on the screen and it will look bad.

RGBS to VGA =
        2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

I appreciate the input.

I guess that I still haven't heard whether you think that I need to get rid of the rgbs monitor and switch to a vga.

I do have the altinex VGA to RGBS interface unit that would provide the signals necessary to drive my existing monitor. Shouldn't be much trouble making a 4 pole switch using coax relays.

The problem is that it will be very expensive for me to have the tech cut into the harness so that I can demonstrate that this is the way to go. I expect that the video quality would be substantially better using the vga to RGBS interface.

Guess thatI wont know if I don't try it.

Comment

I don't think you should get rid of your existing monitor since your stock navigation computer might not be able to interface with the new VGA monitor (since it would require higher scan rates).

Well, for my setup, I made a harness with pin headers and hacked firewire mobo connectors so I could have a plug in and play, not cutting the harness...you may be able to do something similiar depending on what the connector looks like...either at the monitor or at the navigation computer.

Comment

xanavi nav question

I have looked everywhere for the part number of the connector used in the Nissan 350Z harness that connects to the xanavi navigation unit.

If I had that part number, I could easily make a plug and play adapter cable.

Anyone have any idea about how to find out what connector they use? - don't think google can help here

Comment

Originally posted by Zductive
                I appreciate the input.

I guess that I still haven't heard whether you think that I need to get rid of the rgbs monitor and switch to a vga.

I do have the altinex VGA to RGBS interface unit that would provide the signals necessary to drive my existing monitor. Shouldn't be much trouble making a 4 pole switch using coax relays.

The problem is that it will be very expensive for me to have the tech cut into the harness so that I can demonstrate that this is the way to go. I expect that the video quality would be substantially better using the vga to RGBS interface.

Guess thatI wont know if I don't try it.
                The Extron RGB 109xi does this "vga to RGBS". Don't use composite including those video splitter kits that are built for it. The quality sucks and you won't be able to read text for a computer. I have spent alot of time into this subject so i am in the know on this. I am not understanding your question about a tech cutting into the harness?

On the RX8 the DVD drive for the navigation was in the back so i was going to cut into it there. I was able to get the pinouts for the connector so I knew what was what when I connected it all up. So look for that for your car....

Let me know if you need more help

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Is this Extron RGB 109xi still the best thing on the market to tap into a factory nav screen? I'm in a similar boat with my nissan maxima. I'd like to install my Mac Mini into my NAV screen so I can keep the climate control info and stock nav as well.

Any updated info would be great! Thanks!
                  2007 Nissan Maxima - Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by ladams02 View Post
                    Is this Extron RGB 109xi still the best thing on the market to tap into a factory nav screen? I'm in a similar boat with my nissan maxima. I'd like to install my Mac Mini into my NAV screen so I can keep the climate control info and stock nav as well.

Any updated info would be great! Thanks!

What car you use it for?

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Originally posted by mbkowns View Post
                      What car you use it for?
                      I'm looking to either:

(a) find a way to connect my Mac Mini via VGA into my stock NAV screen

or (b) find a way to connect my stock NAV system into an aftermarket screen.

This is in my 2007 Nissan Maxima SL w/ NAV and Bose. From what I've been reading neither option will not give me the quality of video I'm looking for, but I came across this product and was just wondering what others have experienced with it. Thanks!
                      2007 Nissan Maxima - Worklog

Comment

The extron equipment will do A and B can be done just as easy...

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

The Extron box runs off 120 volts, but maybe it can be modified for 12V.

Now, from what I can tell they only convert sync: they DON'T convert the scan rates. So, if the stock NAV screen runs at TV 15.75 kHz scan rates, this won't help you connect up a VGA source. Scalers do convert scan rates, and they're much more expensive. (Too bad: I thought I'd stumbled on a good way to use a 17" thrift store VGA monitor with an RGB arcade game board and homemade Apple ][+ clone)

Comment

Hello,
                            This works pretty good: Ultimarc VGA
                            F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

First off i have to say that MP3car rocks. I was googling this topic for the past hour when i should have checked mp3car first.

Anyways MBKnows I am hoping you could shed some light on my situation.

I am replacing the the NAVI monitor with a proper vga motorized screen that came out specifically for the mazda 6. I do want to keep my stock gps so i would like to convert the RGBs to VGA and perhaps use a KVM to switch sources. What do you think?

It may be too late since i already ordered the screen but how does the PC look on the stock NAVi monitor? IS the resolution good?
                              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Working...
                              X