A few Double Din monitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few Double Din monitors

In light of difficulty in fabricating good faceplates for a double din mount,
    I decided to search the ebay to see what commercial products are out there
    Idea being that some might be suitable for a panel swap, though i am not aware if anyone have done that, and suspect would mean quite a fair bit loss of original functionality.

anyway, these are a few that i have found.

click on the picture to see the link.
    think the last one is most suited for a panel swap, though i must say the first one looks the nicest.
    CarPC Ver 4 completed. Aopen i45GMT-HD, C2D mobile 2GHz. Photofast 64GB SSD. Novatel EU-850D

too bad non are VGA ... :-(
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Originally posted by neon_eddy
      too bad non are VGA ... :-(
      yeah. that's why i was speaking of panel swap.
      CarPC Ver 4 completed. Aopen i45GMT-HD, C2D mobile 2GHz. Photofast 64GB SSD. Novatel EU-850D

Comment

Originally posted by ptk
        yeah. that's why i was speaking of panel swap.
        i dont think the last one PL2DNTV7 swings out (no CD)
        Testing Street Deck and Centrafuse on G4

Comment

Originally posted by spiro
          i dont think the last one PL2DNTV7 swings out (no CD)
          nope. it doesn't.
          hence the cheapest among the lots
          ordered one to experiment
          crossing my fingers

Comment

I seriously think if someone makes a double-din housing for the Xenarc that can swing out like these (so we can mount a slot load DVD drive behind it), it'll sell like a hot cake.
            iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
            CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Originally posted by b8bboi
              I seriously think if someone makes a double-din housing for the Xenarc that can swing out like these (so we can mount a slot load DVD drive behind it), it'll sell like a hot cake.
              ha ha ha ha. why don't we start a request thread and see if Armen picks up on it?

1. 7" 800 x 480 (better still if it's 800 x 600)
              2. touch screen
              3. swing out panel for DVD drive
              4. media reader
              5. USB port for thumb drives ect
              6. USB buttons (like x keys)
              7. rotatry encoder like that of powermate
              8. photo diode control brightness

feel free to continue. for now, let's hope i can at least get a working model up. (considering shipping to my country cost me 100USD )

Comment

Originally posted by b8bboi
                Hell, people are buying crappy motorized single din units right now even though they have problems, just because it's the only option they have for in-dash installation. I know if somebody offered me one of those for my lilliput I'd jump all over it like it was on sale... I've been looking everywhere for a single-din housing, but I'd get a double-din housing in a hurry even if it cost more than what Armen is selling them for...

Well, advertising them for, since you can't buy them from him...

Comment

Originally posted by viguera
                  Hell, people are buying crappy motorized single din units right now even though they have problems, just because it's the only option they have for in-dash installation. I know if somebody offered me one of those for my lilliput I'd jump all over it like it was on sale... I've been looking everywhere for a single-din housing, but I'd get a double-din housing in a hurry even if it cost more than what Armen is selling them for...

Well, advertising them for, since you can't buy them from him...
                  i think it would help if someone can get hold of "empty" double din housing.
                  then the rest of the approach will be similar to what Armen is doing for the none motorised ones.

motorised ones are far more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by ptk
                    i think it would help if someone can get hold of "empty" double din housing.
                    then the rest of the approach will be similar to what Armen is doing for the none motorised ones.

motorised ones are far more complicated.
                    Well you can probably get a double din dash kit from autotoys.com or something... but I hear what you're saying.

I'm dying for a solution to mount my lilli on my other car, but my only option is to mount it on a single din...

Comment

my order is on the way.
                      burnt a big hole in my pocket.
                      but really don't see a good way around without good fabricatin skill or service.

fingers crossed.

if the swap works, perhaps we can start exploring possibility of finding "blanks"

Comment

Originally posted by ptk
                        my order is on the way.
                        burnt a big hole in my pocket.
                        but really don't see a good way around without good fabricatin skill or service.

fingers crossed.

if the swap works, perhaps we can start exploring possibility of finding "blanks"

I dont know if you noticed but only the last one (the one you ordered) is a 7"screen all the other ones are 6.5"
                        This is also the only one that doesnt fold out
                        Maybe you cant "have your pie and eat it too" due to space restrictions
                        I have only seen the motorized ones in 6.5" configurations
                        Good luck anyway I'm willing to help if you need anything
                        I know someone with a machine shop that would probably be able to reproduce the enclosure

I'm working on a design as we speak where I made a "double-decker" double din case out of aluminum I want to mount a regular 1 din radio on the top level,(where your CD/DVD would be) the computer on the bottom level and the screen in front.
                        Trouble is that I want to make the screen fold down from the bottom, (not slide down 1/2 way)this way I can have access to the computer as well (for troubleshooting).

Comment

yeah, id love to change out my POS motorized lilliput with a double din version that looks at least semi-stable with good build quality. (no offense to Armen whatsoever!!! it isnt his fault by any means)
                          '05 Acura TL w/ Navi & Bluetooth, JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio XR650 CSI, JL Audio XR650 CXI, JL Audio 300/4 Speaker Amp, Eclipse SW6123.4 12" Sub, JL Audio 250/1 Sub Amp, Optima D35 YellowTop Battery http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184473/1

Comment

[QUOTE=spiro]I dont know if you noticed but only the last one (the one you ordered) is a 7"screen all the other ones are 6.5"
                            I know someone with a machine shop that would probably be able to reproduce the enclosure
                            ]/quote]
                            yup. I already have a DWW-700VGA (panasonic panel in non-motorised in dash) from Armen. I intend to see if i can do panel swap. pretty sure that inside is modular, but how modular is anyone's guess.
                            worse case scenario is complete swap out, in that case, then i will look into mounting all my component inside and look into proper ventilation.

I'm working on a design as we speak where I made a "double-decker" double din case out of aluminum I want to mount a regular 1 din radio on the top level,(where your CD/DVD would be) the computer on the bottom level and the screen in front.
                            Trouble is that I want to make the screen fold down from the bottom, (not slide down 1/2 way)this way I can have access to the computer as well (for troubleshooting).
                            okie, i have a vague idea what you trying to do. any drawing?

Comment

[QUOTE=ptk]
                              Originally posted by spiro
                              I dont know if you noticed but only the last one (the one you ordered) is a 7"screen all the other ones are 6.5"
                              ]/quote]
                              yup. I already have a DWW-700VGA (panasonic panel in non-motorised in dash) from Armen. I intend to see if i can do panel swap. pretty sure that inside is modular, but how modular is anyone's guess.
                              worse case scenario is complete swap out, in that case, then i will look into mounting all my component inside and look into proper ventilation.

okie, i have a vague idea what you trying to do. any drawing?

Nothing I can publish yet (too busy at work)I will post something first chance I get

Comment

Working...
                              X