Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything wrong with this TFT?

http://www.resunltd4u.com/display.asp?item=GMTFT68

Is there anything that would prevent this TFT display from being good for GPS, Winamp, divx movies, etc???
    Seems like a good price for it. Has anyone purchased it already and tried it out?

$169 for a 6.8" is awesome. only thing that had me was the "Video input via BNC jack". how would you hook that up to a normal pc?
    2004 F-150
    Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
    "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

thats even better. bnc is clearer as it splits the signals. also its vga! you get a bnc/hd15 cable

Comment

So your saying that If i buy this unit, i will get a BNC/VGA 15 pin cable that i can plug into any video card and get a picture? without using a TV out card?
        I live in australia and we dont have NTSC we have PAL, so you can see why i wish to use this one.

Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
        Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
        ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
        Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
        Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
        600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

Comment

Nope , wouldn't work, those cables have rgb and sync out , this screen is voor composite video only....(i.e. camcorder)(videorecorder on the scart-out side.. etc)
          Here in the Netherlands we also have PAL.

Originally posted by stimps:
          <STRONG>So your saying that If i buy this unit, i will get a BNC/VGA 15 pin cable that i can plug into any video card and get a picture? without using a TV out card?
          I live in australia and we dont have NTSC we have PAL, so you can see why i wish to use this one.

</STRONG>
          [ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Frag_lag ]
          CarPuter system:
          Ams k6-2 400mhz([email protected],boardmax.)
          20gig hdd , atx psu,inverter

Comment

Originally posted by stimps:
            <STRONG>So your saying that If i buy this unit, i will get a BNC/VGA 15 pin cable that i can plug into any video card and get a picture? without using a TV out card?

</STRONG>
            most video cards with tv out can put out an ntsc signal. sometimes with a little hardware changes (jumpers or remove cristal) or sometimes even in the software. so that shouldt be the problem
            time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

will this work with NTSC then? im really thinking about getting this but it sounds like this is a bad solution from the mixed answers i am seeing.
              2004 F-150
              Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
              "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

personally a 6.8" via a TV signal is going to be fuzzy and small, not the best for what you'll want to do with it. If it was just for winamp and movies, sure, but if you want GPS you're going to want something bigger than that (and also you'll need it to be easy to read).

Just my $0.03
                IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

First email them and ask if the video input method is RGB, NTSC, PAL, or else....
                  if it's NTSC i think this is one great deal. and you CAN do GPS with a NTSC screen. I have 6.8" also and I run all of the above ( mp3, gps, dvd, divx) and at a resolution of 800X600. I can't read everything but being the experienced microsh#t user I am... i just know by heart. hehe..

If you tight on cash go for it. Otherwise go for VGA. If it's RGB you still gonna have trouble trying to do vga to rgb. It's not as easy at it sounds.
                  good luck and keep us posted.
                  04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

Quote from the product page:
                    Perfect as a portable, general purpose color monitor for standard NTSC color or B&W video systems
                    This would work with a video card with TV-out - you would need an RCA to BNC from Radio Shack to connect to the composite TV-out on the video card.
                    Looks great for the pricce, should be fine for all the uses you listed, you'll really need to bump up the font in your GPS program to read street names.

Comment

Did anybody buy this screen yet? I think i am going to buy it. Is 300 nits enough to be ok in sunlight? I am going to use it for cobra and divx. maybe one day gps. I dont want to spend much more than $200 for an lcd. I would not mind having an 8 inch screen though.
                      mike
                      91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

Beware, you get what you pay for.

I don't think GPS on a 6.4" screen using composite input is going to work very well

and a 6.4" screen is pretty small to begin with. If it was digital input then you might be ok, MAYBE with VGA input it would be tolerable, but I'd think with composite input it's going to be blurry and hard to read any text on it from 2 feet away, and in a car you want something that is easy to read, less you end up in a tree.
                        IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

I'm gonna buy this LCD too, but what am I going to do for the housing...

I have no where to mount into the dash...

Comment

So has anyone bought this? I emailed them about it and (of course ) their return policy is only repair or replacement within 30 days...so buying this is a gamble...I know it'll be crappy since it's not vga..but I want to get something for $200 or less..and it doesn't have to be spectacular. Here's the link to that lcd one more time.
                            1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
                            PC built into console
                            worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

Working...
                            X