LCD Shutdown Message?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Shutdown Message?

Is there any way to display a message firstly as the computer shuts down, and then secondly before the system reaches the "its now safe..." screen?

I have no idea how this could be done, or if it would even work... but it might spark an idea in somebody else so i thought i'd share. (this wouldn't help before the last "safe to" screen, but could correspond with it in theory) Basically when the computer shows you the nice "Windows is shutting down" and "it is now safe to turn off your computer" screens it is displaying a graphic. These graphics are in the windows directory disguised as system (.sys) files. I am not completely sure, but I believe one of them is "logow.sys" Back in the day of windows 95 (and even now as well) many people would edit these files (open a paint program, goto open a file select all files then just open the .sys file) it opens it as a squished graphic. This could be changed to what you please and you have a custom shutdown (and start-up) screen. I used to do this... that's what gave me the idea. Okay sorry about the history lesson, but I figured if anyone wanted to know how it was done... theres a brief description, do a search on the web for specific details).

**** The idea for your application (again this is only a theory) is to write a program that would monitor the files that correspond with those graphics and displays your message on the LCD. Of course the problem that arises is, how would you have this program running while the computer is shutting down, and I leave this to the rest of you... have fun! Actually again I don't know if this would help at all, but a lot of times when I read something such as this it helps me think about my problem in a different way and then I can come up with what I need to do. Just trying to help out!
    Josh Karger
    By reading this post you agree to overlook all grammatical, spelling, and typographical errors! ;)

Comment

Now that I am thinking about it more, when that last screen is displayed, it must be displayed by something... i wonder if there is any information in that system file as well, or just a graphic. Could there be a way to write something that would be run by DOS, such as a .bat file. It is done on start-up, but I don't know if it could be done on shutdown. Let me leave it to the technical genius of the elite MP3car.com members.
      Josh Karger
      By reading this post you agree to overlook all grammatical, spelling, and typographical errors! ;)

Comment

Yup, for the windows displays...

in the C:\windows\ folder

logow.sys -- "windows is shutting down"
        logos.sys -- "it is now safe to turn off your computer"

in the C:\ folder you can put a logo.sys BUT it has to be perfectly formatted or windows will not boot...

If your computer has some sort of logo.sys already in the computer, then I recommend you just edit that file as a picture, and save the edited version.

It is just easier that way...for all the files.

The logo.sys is different because it has a moving graphic (at the bottom) that for some reason causes pain with win98. Undocumented but it caused me about a day's pain.

So summary, open those two files in a paint program and paint over what is there, then save over the old files.
        current projects

Comment

Just to clarify and check weare all on the same wave length.

Start up messages are easy I just put my own load.exe (few c lines to bung text to the parallel port)in the autoexec.bat file, and this will remain unitl windows boot and some other program updates the display.

Shutting down is the other end of the problem. Since there is no autoexec.bat file for shut down I have improvised with a batch file that runs another c exe file to send the closing down text strings to the display, then tells windows to shutdown with the "rundll32.exe user.exe -exitwindows" trick wich tells windows to shutdown. For me though this always left open dos prompts so never worked.

Close but no cigar.

Does anyone have anything like this working? Or any further suggestions for that matter!

Cheers guys.

Comment

Alright, I've got medium experience with C/C++ and my feet weet in Microsoft Foundation Classes, so i think i have an idea. Windows 32 Apps from MFC have a close function that is run whenever the user or OS tries to shut them down. They get a few seconds before windows pops up with the "app not responding wait/end task/cancel". Make a system tray app that when the close function is invoked, will do whatever you want for it to do. Limited timer though (Seems to be like 10s or something close)
            Mp3car setup on the way... it's gonna run like this:
            5" TFT LCD running out of a 32 MB 4x AGP GeForce 256, on a 667 MHz Celeron and a 4.3GB Hard Drive, running linux and probably MS98 solely for the purposes of Diablo II.
            Also a playstation 1, and my stereo:
            2 Rockford Fosgate 360a2 (1 punch, 1 power) running 4 10" subs.
            1 RF punch 120a2 running 2 Jensen 6x9s in boxes
            Custom box (it looks cool. pics someday)
            4 ga. & 8 ga. power
            10 ga. speaker wire all around
            16' RF shielded RCA
            Pioneer 1100DEH (until I get a MP3car)

Comment

Originally posted by Moobie:
              <STRONG>I have improvised with a batch file that runs another c exe file to send the closing down text strings to the display, then tells windows to shutdown with the "rundll32.exe user.exe -exitwindows" trick wich tells windows to shutdown. For me though this always left open dos prompts so never worked.</STRONG>
              Try an alternate shutdown command such as the ones found here - http://www.robvanderwoude.com/shutdown.html - and don't forget to make your batchfile exit with the "EXIT" command.

Comment

I did this in a roundabout way. Not specific because it's been a while so here it goes:

make a batch file that contains the "rundll32.exe user.exe -exitwindows" command explained above. But BEFORE this, throw in an LCDPRINT command. This will display your message and then shut down. Sorry, I don't know how to get it to display after windows is shut down. If you want, I can post my specific code later...

Comment

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but you can always try starting Windows from AUTOEXEC.BAT (or some "CALL"ed batch file from within AUTOEXEC.BAT). To do this correctly, however, you will need to turn off the BOOTGUI option in MSDOS.SYS.

This will force Windows to boot into DOS as opposed to Windows and, in theory, when you exit Windows it will return you to DOS at which time you can continue through the AUTOEXEC.BAT (or "CALL"ed batch file) to send out your display messages to the LCD.

Comment

Working...
                  X