Small Car...what to do???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Car...what to do???

Hello everyone, i'm really sorry to be asking such basic questions, i tried the search option, but got nowhere. Well I have a 96 honda accord. I want to be able to watch DVD's and music videos and even freggin' type a paper using word when i'm stuck in traffic. So i assume that i need a screen larger than a crappy 5". So what do i do. What types of screens are out there. I know i need a VGA right? Now the big problem is where do i put the damn thing? The 96 accord isn't that big. Anyone with this type of car put a big screen in? Is it possible to make it look flush? Or should i just buy a desktop flat pannel and put it on top of the dash? Sorry for making this post so long. Thank you!!!!

Pic of my dash
    Picture of my dash
    My carputer

If you don't know how to use the search option, you could always read old posts.

Maybe you don't know on which words to search on, but it works really well, and should give you the information.

Don't be too specific in you search, just use one or two words you want info on. If you want info for dvd just type DVD. Not something like "How do I add DVD to my carputer" 'cause I don't think the search-engine can handle this.

It's only a keyword search, not something like AskJeeves or something.

(If you don't know how to use searchengines, how do you get information from the web ??? )

Hope this helps you out !

Greetz

BTW..I just looked at your picture... IS It just me or do you have 2 headunits installed ? if so, why ?

Greetz.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Raas ]
    Raas - The Netherlands
    ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
    GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

yeah, if you want to do something like word in your car you really need a VGA-TFT screen.
      On normal ntsc screens you can't read the smallest characters.
      Beware, they're pretty expensive.
      However when you've got an TFT screen from a broken laptop you could use that, BUT you will need a controller card, because the flat-panels are digital, and a VGA video card only has a analog signal.
      Also these controllers aren't cheap either.
      So when you want to do something like that, it will not be cheap.

Greetz
      Raas - The Netherlands
      ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
      GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

I know that I'm looking at the same issue. I want something at least 640x480 touchscreen, and I'm thinking of mounting it in an arm at steering wheel level that can swivel so that not only can the passengers use it, but I can just swivel it out of the way to get to whatever controls will be blocked. Right beside (and perhaps a bit up) the steering wheel I think is important for visibility because I don't want to have to move my eyes far off the road, but I don't want to block any of the road either. I investigated a ceiling mount but it blocks far too much of the road if you want a decent screen (I'm looking at either 8.4" or 10.4" screens. If you have a 5" screen or less you can ceiling mount it but IMHO any bigger than that and you'll be blocking far too much of the road. When looking, just cut out a piece of cardboard or paper that'll be the size of the screen and sit in your car and play with it, figure where you can put it, what will work best.

Also, are you looking at having a keyboard?

And I would seriously suggest never using it in traffic, not even if you're in a traffic jam (unless you're litterally stopped for several minutes at a time)

Hope this helps. Keep us up to date on your progress, drop me a line if you want any more info.
        IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah, i have been using the search now. Trying to find anyone with a honda accord who has put a big screen in, larger than 8". Is it possible to use a flat pannel display, not a laptop. Would i still need a controller card for that? Most desktops now come with flat pannel displays, i thought i would just buy one of those, maybe a 12" one and mount it on the dash. Is there a way where i could take it off an and on. Like when i go outside take it with me, so it doesn't get stolen. cuz i know in the summer the heat will melt the darn thing.

P.s. the other unit in my pic is a EQ

Thanks!
          My carputer

Comment

Why are you complaining, I have a 96 Chysler Cirrus, roughly same size, both mid sedans. You have tons of room in there. I have 3 buds one with a 94, the other with a 95 and the last with a 2k, all have got some aftermarket screens, actually the one with the 2k is done up really nice. Go to you local mag shop big up a car audio book, tons of imports in there, you will get some ideas.

There is a guy on here with an 8.4" screen custom fitted into his center console, same generation accord as you, look around it is still active.

Comment

Working...
            X