Dead LCD in car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead LCD in car

I have a BMW E46 with a 4:3 navigation screen. The screen has recently died, I think. If I look REALLY close, I can see the data, but otherwise it's black. Dealer is saying it'll cost > $1700 to replace, so I'm guessing they're just going to replace the whole unit.

My questions are:
    a) is it the screen?
    b) if so, can I replace just the screen? (can't afford $1700 right now)
    c) How hard is it to just replace the screen? I'm very handy, but have yet to tackle a car mod.

Thanks all.

dc

If you can see the data close up, it's likely to be just the back light. (Scouse might be a long soon and he might tell you more) (but then it could also be jcdillin)

Friend was given an old Toshiba laptop with a similar problem, because the orginal owner thought the whole machine was fubar'd. Just went down to a local S/H PC parts place picked up a backlight tube, installed it and hey presto a nice working laptop.

Comment

Yup, if you can for sure see the image on there you have a dead backlight. But the only problem is you could either have a dead CCFL tube or a dead inverter. What you are going to need to do is pull the LCD out and either measure the voltage going to the tubes or try another tube to see if it lights up.

The screen is still going to be expensive to buy as a replacement, I would either pull the CCFL tube out and see if you can find a suitable replacement, or heck just replace the screen with a VGA screen and install a computer in your car
      肚子笑痛了
      S60 Install

Comment

$1700! For a screen?!?! damn posi's.

For that price you easily do two caputers, maybe three.

But wait! You drive a beemmmerr, only two types of people drive those,
        1. Doctors
        2. People with security issues.

you got bank, go get me one of those screens and some aspirin.
        The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
        CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
        PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
        Memory:1G
        Drives:160gig
        WI-FI:Cingular
        GPS:IG2k9
        Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
        The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

yup. backlight or inverter.

I would look on egay for a cheap bright (400cd/m2 or more if possible) 4:3 LCD and rip it apart and get yourself familiar with how screens work. Then take your BMW screen apart (you got nothing to lose) and see if you can try the CCFL tube ouf of the ebay screen with the BMW controller etc.

If thet doesnt work try the inverter as well.

ooo jsut had another idea...look on the BMW CCFL inverter for a small pico fuse - looks like a reisistor or any other fuse as this may have gone.

Oh and be very careful - the inverters run at several hundred volts.

Comment

Ok,

Glad i've found someone that know what they are talking about! I figured the easies thing for the dealer to do was to replace the whole unit - bas$%*ds.

The back light makes sense, as I can see data on the display. So how hard is it to rip out the dash (and not kill the airbag)? I've ordered the service manual CD. I'm totally green to MODing in the car arena, but am generally handy with anything that involves tools or computers.

Maybe I should look into doing a computer, as I'm itching to do that some day. But for resale, I guess I should get this working .

Comment

Finally got to take the LCD apart.

So I managed to get the LCD apart. Waiting for my camera to come back from repair shop to take pics.

If it is the inverter (is that the board attached to the backlight?), where can I get a repalcement? Also, wher can I get a CCFL? Maybe here?

Stay tuned for pics...

Comment

Scouse,

I have the same problem with my dynamix 706 lcd. I can see the data on the screen in VGA mode but not enough back light. However, if i switch to video1 or video2 screen is bright with full back light.

What are the chances of my CCFL or inverter bad? If there is a problem with either of these, shouldn't video1 and video2 also have the same issue?

Could a damaged ribbon cable cause this? mine is kind of twisted with what looks like a cut on one of the edges.

thx
                zots

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                yup. backlight or inverter.

I would look on egay for a cheap bright (400cd/m2 or more if possible) 4:3 LCD and rip it apart and get yourself familiar with how screens work. Then take your BMW screen apart (you got nothing to lose) and see if you can try the CCFL tube ouf of the ebay screen with the BMW controller etc.

If thet doesnt work try the inverter as well.

ooo jsut had another idea...look on the BMW CCFL inverter for a small pico fuse - looks like a reisistor or any other fuse as this may have gone.

Oh and be very careful - the inverters run at several hundred volts.
                ZOTS

Comment

fix

see here
                  ZOTS

Comment

Working...
                  X