$99 display

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $99 display

Ok so it was on slashdot.org this morning, a Compaq Ipaq for $99 with LCD screen.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=C860-A783
    24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
    2000 Honda S2000

http://www.squeezer.net

Nice, but of course, theres the age-old question of how to connect that screen to a "real" computer, as I doubt that the system has enough "balls" to to be really useful (store MP3s, play them, install mapping software, etc..

Its amazing that so many companies are doing the exact same thing others have failed at. Building a system that "only" works with one spacific ISP. the I-opener tried and failed, audrey (was that ISP spacific?) and now the ipaq (MSN). If someone just took a motherboard, paired it with a flat panel, they'd make a fortune!

Comment

gateway had a small system like this but with a touch screen, 10" (i think) lcd and wireless keyboard but using to use only aol internet.

i think it got hacked to work with a laptop hdd in the end and it worked pretty well with win Me.

dont know if they are still around they ended up dropping to around $200 i think

Comment

an ipaq has enough 'balls' to play mp3s
        It's well over 200mhz,
        I heard and saw it play mp3s
        There are 1gb cards available for this platform so this device isn't that bad
        If one would store all mp3s on a other computer and let the ipaq connect to this, it's able to play mp3s.
        It's even able to play video's (allthough I don't know the format which it played, but it was very smooth and sharp)

Greetz
        Raas - The Netherlands
        ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
        GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

I have one of these little "I-pucks" as I call them. Its CE, but people have run linux on them. It has media player, so it should play most all the formats. The problem is that the screen is just way too small. Only a few pcmcia cards are supported, the compact flash is handy though. All-in-all, I hate it. I'd much rather use a pilot/visor for a PDA. Even if I hacked the heck out of this iPAQ, it'll still be almost useless.

Comment

Does anyone know if a USB HDD would work on this? That would solve the storage problem. Maybe even use a USB NIC, and connect to another PC stored in the trunk.
            A 97 Dodge Ram pickup with a 14" LCD running at 1024x768. A Dell desktop PII 400, 128MB Ram, 8GB & 20GB Drives, TV tuner, Cd Burner, Garmin legend GPS, Mappoint 2002, win98, and winamp.
            pics

Comment

I called Casio and Compaq about hooking up a USB HD to their handhelds. Basically they all said it was a great idea, but it probably cant be done. I found some parts that will convert the CF type to PCMCIA...
              From there you can get a PCMCIA hard drive.

Check out this web page
              for a few options, but they are pretty pricey

Also check out this
              thread that I started but didnt get much info back.
              PoBoy
              I'm a ghost...email me if you have any questions on my old setup

My way outdated website: http://www.poboytech.net

FYI: I sold my 96 4Runner and bought a 1985

Comment

Originally posted by PaulzY:
                <STRONG>gateway had a small system like this but with a touch screen, 10" (i think) lcd and wireless keyboard but using to use only aol internet.

i think it got hacked to work with a laptop hdd in the end and it worked pretty well with win Me.

dont know if they are still around they ended up dropping to around $200 i think</STRONG>
                i checked up on these again
                http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/.../UltraBoard.pl

looks liek u can get em for abotu $100 now, and can be hacked to hold a laptop hdd, 2 com ports, parallel, vga as well as the 2 usb and is a 400mhz tran...something and can hold 2 mini-pci cards (modem/ethernet, wireless networking.)

Comment

So can you EASILY connect a VGA or Composite cable to the 99-dollar, 10-inch LCD screen, and ditch the rest????

~m
                  PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
                  Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                  BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

Why would you want to pull the LCD out when you could just add a hard drive to the Gateway Touch Screen and have an all in one mp3 system?
                    1983 BMW 733i
                    Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
                    Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

Because VGA input panels are hard to find, and the GCT sucks.

Comment

Yeah, I actually have a GCT (and a WebSurferPro, a Virgin Webplayer and an ePods). I was just looking for a cheap screen with a simple (or easily-hackable) video input.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

~m
                        PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
                        Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                        BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

^bump for reply... please...
                          ~m
                          BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X