Broke this piece - What is it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke this piece - What is it?

I pushed the thing into housing, heard this click and the piece on the lilliput controler was broken! It looks like a winding with a magnet in the center. The tiny copper wire also broke.The yellow arrow is pointing to it in the picture.

Can anyone tell me what this piece (the component not the board) is and what it does, and where I can get a replacement? I soldered the loose end of the wire back and hot glued the whole thing in place and it works but I am not very good at working on these little things so I am afraid it will come apart sooner or later. Thanks...
    Attached Files
    Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

It's an inductor; it could be there for noise filtering, or in some kind of switching powersupply. If it works, I wouldn't worry about it. Replacing it wouldn't be easy, since you'd need to know the inductance value, current rating, core material, etc.

Comment

Thank you!
      Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Comment

If it doesn't get hot, I'd suggest adding a bit of epoxy. Otherwise on the next bump, you could do some big damage

Comment

I don't think it gets hot. I mean I did not test it to see if it does. I guess I should have done that before using hot glue. But when it was loose, and the wire was broken, the lilliput simply did not work (I think I saw Jurasic park at all times). After the repair it started to work so I put the board back inside the case and mounted it inside the dash. I hope it does not go bad soon until I have a chance to take it apart again.

Comment

Nope, it will be fine, I broke mine off a year ago, glued it back on and shes been working fine ever since
            肚子笑痛了
            S60 Install

Comment

Great. Thank you for all the input.

Comment

Working...
              X